FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
They, Merc, should get JB or FM out of retirement for a year and use that year to get the driver they really want. I doubt they REALLY want VB, but maybe they do...
They, Merc, should get JB or FM out of retirement for a year and use that year to get the driver they really want. I doubt they REALLY want VB, but maybe they do...

It would seem that VB may be part of their longer term plans and perhaps teaming up with Vettel. Interesting considering this story:

Lewis Hamilton says problems remain with Mercedes team after claiming he was 'disrespected' at Abu Dhabi finale

"Hamilton, who ended up winning the race but losing the title by five points, said: 'That was one of many uncomfortable moments of the year. Ultimately seeing what had been said afterwards, I felt quite disrespected by the individuals who had spoken.'

'You definitely don't expect that from those who are in charge of so many people.' Has the situation been resolved? 'No, it hasn't.'

The Mail on Sunday has learned that Hamilton avoided anything more than minimal eye contact with Wolff at the recent FIA gala dinner in Vienna, where Rosberg was presented with his trophy. He did, however, turn up to the team party at Milton Keynes Dons, though his stay was extremely brief."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formul ... z4TA0vG1FK
Despite Hamilton claiming all he wants is equal treatment, his recent comments suggest that he really wants to be top dog with preferential treatment.
So now Massa is all but confirmed at Wlliams teaming up with youngster Canadian Stroll. Bottas then will be the replacement for world champion Rosberg in the top seat in F1.

Will Bottas be the next WDC?

https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/8 ... 0246016000

Massa accepts offer to stay at Williams in 2017
By: Roberto Chinchero, Journalist
Co-author: Pablo Elizalde, News Editor
5 hours ago
"Felipe Massa has accepted an offer to return to Formula 1 next year with Williams, in a deal that paves the way for Valtteri Bottas to join Mercedes.

Although final contracts have not yet been completed, Motorsport.com has learned that Massa has decided to go back on his decision to retire.

The Brazilian had announced this year that the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix would be his last F1 race.

But with Mercedes looking to sign Bottas to replace retired world champion Nico Rosberg, Massa has now agreed to stay at Williams for at least another year in order to help the team in a season where big regulations changes are set to reward experience.

Williams has signed 18-year-old rookie Lance Stroll as one of its drivers for the 2017 season, and departing tech chief Pat Symonds had said earlier this month that it was "crucial" to retain Bottas.

Massa's decision means the way is clear for Mercedes to sign Bottas, who has been tipped as the main candidate to replace Rosberg.

Mercedes has made it clear that a decision on who will partner Lewis Hamilton will not be announced before next year, with Niki Lauda saying that discussions were proving "difficult".

The world champion team admitted it had been caught off guard by Rosberg's decision and that it wanted to sort its line-up as quickly as possible.

Williams deputy team principal Claire Williams conceded the Grove squad would only let Bottas go if it could find a fitting replacement, both to mentor Stroll and for title sponsor Martini to be able to use in promotions.

"If we did allow Valtteri to leave, we would only do this if an experienced, credible alternative was available, such as someone like Felipe Massa, for example," Williams said."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa ... 17-860616/
Why didn't Hamilton mention taking two of Rosberg's engineers when he arrived at Merc? That's a huge advantage for a new guy on the team and alot better than being stuck with Schumacher's engineers who couldn't figure the car out at all. Funny that Lewis hasn't talked about this. This is an accommodation that only a #1 driver would get.

Can't wait for Nico's book!

DECEMBER 28, 2016
Rosberg hits back at Hamilton complaints

"World champion Nico Rosberg has hit back at his former teammate's complaints about losing key members of his race crew in 2016.

Prior to the 2016 season, Mercedes mixed up the two sides of the silver-clad garage, with Lewis Hamilton complaining ever since about the effect it had on his subsequent campaign.

But Rosberg, who beat Hamilton to the 2016 title and then promptly retired, told Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung: "I lost my mechanics, too. I also had to give him two of my engineers at the beginning of his time at Mercedes."

The German suggested this is just one titbit of his often thorny relationship with Hamilton that the public doesn't know about.

"That's the full truth," said Rosberg. "I could write a book about the rest. Maybe I will, one day. There are so many crazy and interesting stories.""

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35512.html
Why didn't Hamilton mention taking two of Rosberg's engineers when he arrived at Merc? That's a huge advantage for a new guy on the team and alot better than being stuck with Schumacher's engineers who couldn't figure the car out at all. Funny that Lewis hasn't talked about this. This is an accommodation that only a #1 driver would get.

Can't wait for Nico's book!

DECEMBER 28, 2016
Rosberg hits back at Hamilton complaints...

"That's the full truth," said Rosberg. "I could write a book about the rest. Maybe I will, one day. There are so many crazy and interesting stories.""

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns35512.html

Well, since he doesn't work for Mercedes, any longer and if there isn't a gag-clause for a period of time,
there isn't anything stopping him from writing, no?
How nice, Mercedes arranged a factory tour for Valterri. I wonder why they would do that?? He even got to sit in the 2017 car!

Bottas Mercedes factory visit suggests deal is done

"A pre-Christmas visit to the Mercedes factory by Valtteri Bottas has given the firmest indication yet that he is set to secure the seat vacated by Nico Rosberg at the German car manufacturer.

Sources have revealed that Bottas made a secret visit to Mercedes’ Brackley headquarters in the days leading up to Christmas.

There has been no official confirmation of the news, but it is suggested he tried out the cockpit of the team’s 2017 car to help with planning for his seating position, and ran through initial technical preparations with the engineers that he could be working with next year.

Although it is unclear if a final contract for Bottas to join Mercedes has been signed, the visit does reveal that the outfit is preparing for his arrival.

Mercedes has remained silent about its plans for who will line-up alongside Lewis Hamilton in 2017, but an announcement is expected in the first weeks of January – and potentially as early as next week."

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/botta ... ne-862197/

See our F1 related articles too!