FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Come on!! The snow is be-a-u-ti-ful!
Great to see everything sparkling in
the sunlight and even at night!! :thumbup:

Could you oh so polite Canucks kindly keep your white sh!te on your side of the border instead of blowing it our way all the time?!?! :banghead:
This storm came up from south of the border via the mid west. Good ol redneck Trump snow.

We would appreciate that you contain your snow and your President-elect from the rest of the world!
Come on!! The snow is be-a-u-ti-ful!
Great to see everything sparkling in
the sunlight and even at night!! :thumbup:

Could you oh so polite Canucks kindly keep your white sh!te on your side of the border instead of blowing it our way all the time?!?! :banghead:

Uh... didn't this particular storm came up FROM the good old U. S. of A.!!

p.s. ooops... didn't realize that ob had already noted the above! :blush:
I'm sure the cold air up north had something to do with the storm being formed in the first place - nothing good weather wise comes from Canada :yes:

All that we know is that before this american snow arrived it was sunny and nice and I was going to mow the lawn one last time. Now the dog is confused as to where to do his business! Damn american snow!!

On the other hand it looks like we will be having a white Christmas for the first time in a long while.
Ha!!

You wish you were Canadian, eh? Image

Actually I do - has been my dream destination for a long time, alas circumstances made me end up in the US... :cry:

Quel dommage!

Mind you, you would have had to learn Québécois, since we don't speak the "real" French! :thumbup:
Ha!!

You wish you were Canadian, eh? Image

Actually I do - has been my dream destination for a long time, alas circumstances made me end up in the US... :cry:

Quel dommage!

Mind you, you would have had to learn Québécois, since we don't speak the "real" French! :thumbup:

Quel sacrilège :yikes:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433/ ... eplacement

Williams open talks with Felipe Massa as potential Valtteri Bottas replacement
Bottas wanted at Mercedes to replace Nico Rosberg; Massa fits bill as experienced team-mate to partner newcomer Lance Stroll

By Pete Gill and Sky Sports News HQ's Craig Slater
Last Updated: 16/12/16 12:55pm

"Felipe Massa could return to F1 with Williams less than a month after leaving the team and retiring from the sport, Sky Sports has learnt.

Massa is in talks with Williams as a potential replacement for former team-mate Valtteri Bottas.

The Finn is the No 1 target of Mercedes, who are still searching for a new driver following the sudden - and unexpected - retirement of world champion Nico Rosberg.

A source close to Massa has told Sky Sports the Brazilian was still undecided on his plans for 2017.

But it is understood Williams have opened talks with Massa about rehiring him for 2017 to partner rookie Lance Stroll.

A comeback for Massa, just weeks after he was given an emotional farewell from F1, would be seen by many as remarkable.

These are however, remarkable circumstances.

While Mercedes' search for Rosberg's successor has been hindered by the contractual obligations of F1's leading drivers, Williams need for an experienced campaigner to partner Stroll during the 18-year-old's rookie season is glaring.

Mercedes are understood to have offered Williams, their engine customers, vastly reduced terms for their power units as well as Pascal Wehrlein in exchange for Bottas.

But the 22-year-old has only experienced one season of F1 and Williams are understood to be fearful that a line-up of Wehrlein and Stroll would leave them vulnerable to a sharp fall in the Constructors' Championship.

While Mercedes' engines may be as much as £10m cheaper if Williams agree to part with Bottas, the Grove outfit fear they will lose just as much in prize money if they cannot find an adequate replacement for Bottas.

While Bottas outpointed Massa during their three years together, the veteran's skills were as sharp as ever in what currently stands as his final F1 race when he out-qualified Bottas in Abu Dhabi before finishing ninth in the race.

Mercedes confirmed on Thursday that an announcement regarding Rosberg's replacement would only be made in the new year - a delay which points to the complexity and difficulty of the situation the world champions and Williams now find themselves in."
Interesting 2018 silly season talk. However I think the real outcome depending on how well Bottas performs would be Vettel taking a Merc seat with Bottas as teammate and Hamilton out. Vettel probably will only give Ferrari one more season to sort things out. Bottas will likely only sign with Merc if he has at least a two year deal. This would give Merc the driver peace and stability that they have been lacking. There are also rumours that Hamilton is interested in an acting career. So it all fits!

ps. Merc on top of the half price engines is also throwing in 8 motorhomes.

http://readmotorsport.com/2016/12/15/is ... el-switch/

IS BOTTAS MERCEDES’ STOPGAP AHEAD OF VETTEL SWITCH?
BEN ISSATT
1 day ago • 709 reads • 5 min read • 0 comments

Could Mercedes be using Valtteri Bottas as a stopgap before signing Sebastian Vettel in 2018?

That is a possible conclusion that could be drawn from several recent reports and rumours.

Mercedes revealed on Thursday that no announcement will be made on who will replace Nico Rosberg before January as Bottas remains the German manufacturer’s preferred choice.

However, Read Motorsport understands that Mercedes will only offer the Finn a one-year contract with eyes on potentially signing Vettel from Ferrari for the following year.

That would depend on several factors. First, the German is out of contract with the Italian team at the end of 2017 and quotes from team boss Maurizio Arrivabene in October suggested that, while an extension is on the table, Vettel had to “earn” it.

But, the four-time world champion is also likely to consider his future with Ferrari if the Maranello outfit once again comes up short in delivering a competitive car next season.

Even former Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger, who is in the loop regarding driver talks, suggested Vettel would want a Mercedes switch.

“Sebastian will closely monitor their progress and take his time in renewing his contract,” he reportedly told Germany’s Sport Bild.

“I’m sure deep down he wants the chance to go with Mercedes in 2018 so Ferrari needs to try to keep Vettel happy, so they don’t lose him.”

Despite Mercedes offering up to 50% discount on engines, the services of reserve Pascal Wehrlein and potentially a deal which would see tech boss Paddy Lowe join Williams, the disruption it would cause the Grove team means they are stubbornly trying to retain Bottas.

That’s not to say they are making a contingency plan, however. ESPN quoted a report in French newspaper L’Equipe on Thursday as claiming Felipe Massa is in “advanced talks” to put his retirement on hold and return for one final year.

If true, it may back up a theory that Bottas will move to Mercedes for 2017 with the option of re-signing with Williams for 2018 if Vettel was to move from Ferrari.

Mark Thompson/Getty Images SportMark Thompson/Getty Images Sport

In first public comments since it was revealed Bottas was under consideration by Mercedes, Williams boss Claire Williams has also indicated there was some room for manoeuvre.

“We have always known Valtteri is one of the sport’s key talents and are proud that the championship leaders recognise this,” she told the BBC.

“If we did allow Valtteri to leave, we would only do this if an experienced, credible alternative was available, such as someone like Felipe Massa, for example.

“Whatever we decide, it must be in the best interests of this team,” she concluded.

There’s no doubt Rosberg’s sudden retirement caught Mercedes off guard, but as the days tick by, a clearer picture is emerging.

The main question left is just how hard Williams want to push Mercedes in agreeing on a deal for Bottas? But if a Massa return is on the cards, which would be the perfect alternative for the team, then Mercedes’ delayed announcement could simply be more about delaying the inevitable.

As for whether it is just a stopgap before a move for Vettel? Well, that depends on Ferrari but could also depend on just how good Valtteri Bottas really is.
After denying that he had any say on who replaces Rosberg as his teammate now Hamilton admits that he is part of the process as per his contract:

"Once they've dwindled it down to five drivers, or whatever it is, the shortlist, contractually they have to discuss with me," he revealed to Channel 4.

"But I don't have a say who it is."

http://www.pitpass.com/58073/Hamilton-w ... eplacement

I would find it hard to believe that Hamilton upon receiving the list would be able to keep his commentary to himself!

Good to know that Lewis (I-do-not-demand-preferential-treatment-in-my-contracts) two face phony self is starting to get unmasked.
Last edited by overboost on 18 Dec 16, 04:22, edited 2 times in total.
I heard that Williams would not be able to hire a second driver under 25 due to contractual agreements with the sponsor; which would explain why they want to bring Massa back should Bottas leave the team. I wouldn't take a drive at Mercedes for just one year to play second fiddle to Hamilton, it would have to be a multi-year deal and not a stop gap for the German team until either Vettel or Alonso is available, but Bottas might feel differently.

See our F1 related articles too!