FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By gdh
I have no doubt that he did for Nico what Schumi did for him in blocking Alonzo. I also believe that if he felt that he would have had enough room to pass both Nico and Lewis safely that he would have done so. A win by him would have still resulted in Nico winning the WDC. On to next yr so that a whole new host of conspiracy theories can be born.
By myownalias
Congrats to Rosberg for winning the World Drivers Championship; he did enough to win the title, although you have to say he won the title with a wimper; not trying to take victory in style; he had all the ace cards, he could take the race to Hamilton; if they collided and both went out; it was his title; he settled for second place in the final four races.

On Hamilton, you know what; I believe he did what he had to do; the old saying goes "nice guys finish last"; so why not force Rosberg into the clutches of the cars behind?

*Tin Foil Hat* With Red Bull; did they screw over Daniel Ricciardo with that early stop which ultimately put him behind Verstappen despite the Dutchman dropping to the back at the start?

Let's not forget this was Jenson Button and Felipe Massa's final races in F1; a sad day for the sport; especially for JB; having to retire his car due to a mechanical issue.
By overboost
Well done Rosberg. All the sweeter having overcome the treachery of your teammate. Well done.
By overboost
By overboost
By overboost
On Hamilton, you know what; I believe he did what he had to do; the old saying goes "nice guys finish last"; so why not force Rosberg into the clutches of the cars behind?

Helping other teams to beat your team is not going to be tolerated nor condoned. It ranks right up there with making contact with your teammate and taking one or both cars out of the race.

Hamilton in my view would have been much better off finishing 30 secs ahead of Rosberg (as he had bragged about before the race) and at least would have been an honourable 30 second champion like Massa in 2008 rather than soliciting support from other teams to deliver him a championship and being proven to be a treacherous loser.
By sagi58
At the end of the race, (if I'm not mistaken) Brundel mentioned that Hamilton was 9 seconds slower on his final lap than he was in qualifying... Mind you, Hamilton's actions didn't escape everyone on the track, either! Vettel commented on how slow Hamilton was driving up at the front, during the podium interviews...

I completely understand Hamilton wanting to win the title, at all costs; but, the only way that was going to happen on the final lap of this final race was if Rosberg were to drop into 4th place behind Verstappen OR if he were to get into an accident and DNF! THAT's what I'm having a problem with, at this point. This was NOT qualifying, this was a title-deciding race. Much as as "they" say that all is fair in love and war, this behaviour was a bit malicious.
By rob91
I'm glad Rosberg won the title after what happened in this race, if Hamilton had won the title in this fashion (backing Rosberg into others) I think he probably would've later regretted it because it isn't a very sporting thing to do. I'm disappointed with him that he tried this tactic, it is not the type of thing I would expect of a true racer and sportsman.
By overboost
Well said rob91.
By myownalias

Helping other teams to beat your team is not going to be tolerated nor condoned. It ranks right up there with making contact with your teammate and taking one or both cars out of the race.

I hear a lot of people talk about F1 being a team sport, if that is true, why have a drivers championship at all? The two ideas are incompatible, there is no I in team, however in F1, there are two I's in every team. you cannot have two competing drivers in a team, it does not compute.
By sagi58
I guess the WDC is so that Drivers get their just reward; but, in the end, they must accept that without the car and team behind them, they would not get that recognition.
By myownalias
I think they still get recognition for driving as part of the team effort. Soccer players get recognition and criticism for being part of the team. Being part of a team means everyone is pulling towards the same goal, which is impossible when personal gain is involved.

See our F1 related articles too!