FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Tokens killed the F1 star.

I was reading that in 2012 (pre tokens) the estimated value of F1 was $12.5B. Four years later Liberty basically got the whole deal at fire sale prices at only $8B.

edit:

Here is the article - http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/ ... 97af63273b
Last edited by overboost on 11 Sep 16, 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
By myownalias
Expansion in N Am would hopefully force the series to be more competitive. NASCAR, NFL, MLB etc are hugely successful in part because of the competition. If F1 is too expensive for many of the teams to be truly competitive maybe it's time to move away from factory teams. Teams can buy the most current and best chassis, engines etc or complete car and modify more like the old days of F1. .

I think this is the crux of the issue with F1 expansion; fair weather fans will not pay the extortionate ticket prices needed just for the venue to break even due to FOM's race hosting fees. When you factor in other costs like travel, hotels, food and such, suddenly the cost of attending a race weekend gets very expensive.
By sagi58
ESPNF1:

...Hopefully good news for us stateside fans...

Don't forget us Canadians!! Image
By sagi58
...fair weather fans will not pay the extortionate ticket prices needed just for the venue to break even due to FOM's race hosting fees. When you factor in other costs like travel, hotels, food and such, suddenly the cost of attending a race weekend gets very expensive.

Maybe this will be a talking point and F1 will be more accessible and more affordable.
By darwin dali
ESPNF1:

Sorry for not acknowledging the 51st state in a separate mention :twisted::P:P
By overboost
The 51st state has as many F1 races as all the other states combined. And many would say a better race as well!

Although Austin is a great venue imo.
By darwin dali
I can see another race in the contiguous 48 states - not so much an additional one in the 51st 8-)
By overboost
F1 rumour mill is in full production:

Ecclestone is out after Abu Dhabi after fight with new owner Malone.

Ferrari could be leaving after losing money to new owner Malone.

Red Bull may not want to buy in and may bow out due to Malone's franchise restructure plan.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns34774.html

"US media tycoon John Malone, whose 'Darth Vader' nickname was coined by Al Gore, was understood to have signed the F1 supremo to a new three-year deal as he moved to take over the sport's commercial rights from CVC.

But Germany's Auto Bild claims that Ecclestone, 85, and 75-year-old Malone may already have clashed, with the current F1 chief executive now set to vacate his role after November's season finale in Abu Dhabi.

The same report said Malone and Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne are also clashing, with the former wanting to end the fabled Italian team's special annual bonus payments.

"Sue me!" Malone is quoted as having told Marchionne during recent negotiations. "I have the time and the money.""
By darwin dali
Libtery Media wants race ticket prices to drop dramatically to about EUR 150 million for a weekend pass

A tad steep I'd say...
By overboost
I can see another race in the contiguous 48 states - not so much an additional one in the 51st 8-)

Ahh but you underestimate the attractiveness and alure of Vancouver. Also Toronto, the centre of the universe (just ask them), will not be taking a back seat to those other more inferior cities in the rest of NA.
Last edited by overboost on 12 Sep 16, 22:57, edited 2 times in total.
By overboost
Libtery Media wants race ticket prices to drop dramatically to about EUR 150 million for a weekend pass

A tad steep I'd say...

Pocket change to Malone! Keep in mind that you are getting the whole weekend. :wink:
Last edited by overboost on 12 Sep 16, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
By darwin dali

Ahh but you underestimate the attractiveness and alure of Vancouver. Also Toronto, the centre of the universe (just ask them), will not be taking a back seat to those other more inferior cities in NA.

:nono: I do NOT underestimate Vancouver - it's my favorite city in North America! Still no chance for such a small market to have more races when the pressure is on from the US.
By sagi58
ESPNF1:

Sorry for not acknowledging the 51st state in a separate mention :twisted::P:P

ha... Image ha... Image ha... Image
By sagi58

T.O. ... Hogtown... T. Dot... whatever you want to call "us",
deserves a race besides the Honda Indy... :P

See our F1 related articles too!