FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Ham just made the wrong decision with Rosberg defending to the right (as was his right). Lewis should have gone round the outside with all that speed. Putting himself on the inside on grass and then losing control was stupid and very clumsy. Also once on the grass Hamilton kept accelerating as if he could pass Rosberg there, of course this caused him to loose control.

As Lauda said Lewis 'miscalculated'.

Lauda:

The team’s non-executive chairman told the BBC the situation was “very simple for me”.

“It was a miscalculation in Lewis’s head,” said Lauda. “I blame him more than Nico.”

“But for the team and for Mercedes it is unacceptable. Lewis was too aggressive to pass him.”

“Why should Nico give him room? He was in the lead,” Lauda added.

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/15/h ... ash-lauda/

Rosberg:

That is despite the fact that even the reigning triple world champion’s boss, team chairman Niki Lauda, is adamant the Briton spiralling out of control and collecting championship leader Nico Rosberg was all Hamilton’s fault. Rosberg, however, is still not happy.

“I feel no solace that Niki Lauda blamed him (Hamilton),” said the German. “I have lost a win and 25 points.”

Lauda:

But as far as Lauda is concerned, he is already prepared to put the matter behind the team, “Lewis looked us in the eye and took the blame.”

“He apologised. He took everything on himself. That’s fine with me,” Lauda told the Austrian broadcaster ORF.

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/05/16/ ... the-blame/
Last edited by overboost on 16 May 16, 23:24, edited 3 times in total.
By myownalias
Verstappen wins! Youngest winner ever in his first race for Red Bull.

Did I or did I not say that MV could drive circles around DR?

If by running rings you mean being put on the advantageous tire strategy like Raikkonen, clearly 3 stops was not the fastest route to the chequered flag, I doubt that Max would have beaten Daniel on track without the strategy call. I'm not taking anything away from Verstappen, he drove a flawless race, albeit aided by strategy.
By darwin dali
He had to execute the strategy perfectly and he had to keep KR in check for half the race in an underpowered (albeit aerodynamically superior) car, which he had never sat in before this weekend - he showed so much maturity for an 18 year old. I don't think anybody doubts his raw pace either, so if he can maintain that kind of level of cool-headed race craft, yes, he will drive circles around DR.
By myownalias
With the Mercedes drivers taking each other out; this made the race exciting without a forgone winner, personally I was hoping for a Ricciardo win, but great drive by Verstappen, a bit fortunate with the strategy call, two stops was clearly proven to be the fastest route to the chequered flag with both Verstappen and Raikkonen finishing ahead of their respective team mate who three stopped.

The stewards decided that the Mercedes incident was a racing incident, although Sky Sports showed that Rosberg was in the wrong engine mode at the start and shows Rosberg trying to change mode going down to T4, then suddenly realized that Hamilton was making an overtake and moved right, pushing Hamilton wide and the rest we know. Could Hamilton has lifted instead of continuing onto the grass, YES, could Rosberg have allowed more room, YES, so racing incident seems fair to me as it was six of one, half dozen of the other.
By myownalias
He had to execute the strategy perfectly and he had to keep KR in check for half the race in an underpowered (albeit aerodynamically superior) car, which he had never sat in before this weekend - he showed so much maturity for an 18 year old. I don't think anybody doubts his raw pace either, so if he can maintain that kind of level of cool-headed race craft, yes, he will drive circles around DR.

I'm not saying Max was not deserving of the win, I am just saying that if all four drivers were on the same 2 stop strategy, it could have been a different story. Max and Daniel are both very good drivers, I wouldn't like to call it between the two of them, I certainly wouldn't say Max will run rings around Daniel. Daniel will step up his game, something he did not have to do against Kvyat, so I am looking forward to the battle for superiority at Red Bull for the remainder of the season.
By overboost
And if Vettel hadn't followed Ricciardo's three stop he could likely have been the winner.
By overboost
2016 Spanish Grand Prix

Pos # Driver Car Laps Time/gap Difference Reason
1 33 Max Verstappen Red Bull-TAG Heuer 66 1hr 41m 40.017s
2 7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari 66 0.616 0.616
3 5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 66 5.581 4.965
4 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-TAG Heuer 66 43.950 38.369
5 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes 66 45.271 1.321
6 55 Carlos Sainz Jnr Toro Rosso-Ferrari 66 61.395 16.124
7 11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes 66 79.538 18.143
8 19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes 66 80.707 1.169
9 22 Jenson Button McLaren-Honda 65 1 lap 1 lap
10 26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Ferrari 65 1 lap 3.315
11 21 Esteban Gutierrez Haas-Ferrari 65 1 lap 7.643
12 9 Marcus Ericsson Sauber-Ferrari 65 1 lap 27.842
13 30 Jolyon Palmer Renault 65 1 lap 5.597
14 12 Felipe Nasr Sauber-Ferrari 65 1 lap 3.320
15 20 Kevin Magnussen Renault 65 1 lap 9.466
16 94 Pascal Wehrlein Manor-Mercedes 65 1 lap 15.297
17 88 Rio Haryanto Manor-Mercedes 65 1 lap 14.748

Not classified
8 Romain Grosjean Haas-Ferrari 56 10 laps 9 laps Brakes
14 Fernando Alonso McLaren-Honda 45 21 laps 11 laps Power unit
27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 20 46 laps 25 laps Oil leak
44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 0 66 laps 20 laps Accident
6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 0 66 laps 0.000 Accident
By overboost

It is quite telling that when Hamilton had to perform (and has no reliability issues) and show that he has what it takes to be wdc in 2016, he gives up pole to another bad start and then he ends his teams race in catastrophe.

And he does this while Dr Z is trackside watching!

Lewis needs to reboot and win in Monaco. He is due a win there.
Last edited by overboost on 17 May 16, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
By Jeffo
Well f*** my bottom and call me Shirley! LOL you got some serious s*** goin on about this guy I reckon.
Is it cos he's black? Or you got a thing for Blondie?
LOL that's it ain't it.

YOU A ROSBERG FAN! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: that just too funny!! Sorry man. But Blondie? Really! HAHAHAHAHA
You not bin readin? Blondie had a brain fart on the grid. Forgot what to do. HAHAHA!
Anyway, I hope he brain farts his way all through the season
RED BULL CHAMPIONS !!
Danni and max podiums all the way now.
18 years old. You get that, 18 years old!! And Danni he right up there with him.
By sagi58
"...When asked what the response would be, Lauda said: “First I need to talk to them myself, listen to the explanation, and then we will see.”"

Hamilton accepts blame:
Lauda on RTL: "Lewis apologized, he thought it was his mistake and we will move on."

Translation: we will never know what was said behind closed doors!
And, that's as it should be!
By overboost
Jeffo, I am going with Lauda's assessment of the Mercedes Spanish drama.

As far as Red Bull is concerned they are looking good. Mercedes was right not to give RB their super engine as their superior drivers would be spanking the Merc's right now.
By overboost
Here is how Red Bull and Ferrari lost the race for Ricciardo and Vettel:

Red Bull switches strategy for Ricciardo, Vettel covers, Verstappen wins

"As much as Verstappen won this race, Ricciardo and Vettel both lost it.
The most controversial decisions were Red Bull’s surprise move to switch Ricciardo onto a three-stop strategy on Lap 28, when he had the race under control and even more controversially, Ferrari’s decision to follow him."

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2016/05/s ... r-ferrari/
By sagi58
At the risk of sounding philosophical, no one and nothing is ever won solely on merit,
otherwise, it wouldn't be a competition, eh?
By Jeffo
Jeffo, I am going with Lauda's assessment of the Mercedes Spanish drama.

As far as Red Bull is concerned they are looking good. Mercedes was right not to give RB their super engine as their superior drivers would be spanking the Merc's right now.

Damn right mate!!! OH YES SIR! Merc clever there! Red Bull got the best Chassis and the best drivers.......DREAM TEAM OLAY OLAY OLAY. Spanked Ferrari, sparked Williams and spank Merc when Blondie gets a brain fart. Well clever not to let Red Bull get that engine. But Red Bull.....they creeping up with their engine man! Don't need no Merc engine anymore! REEEEEEEDDD BULLLLLLL!
Man , no worries if you a Rosberg fan, he ain't no bad driver, just a airhead sometimes. Can't do close battle without screwing up. Niki mouthed off before he had the info. Bet he feels a right prat now. sausage HEAD!!!!! Hahaha
By sagi58
...Niki mouthed off before he had the info. Bet he feels a right prat now. sausage HEAD!!!!! Hahaha

Based on all his year's experience, Lauda reacted to the microphone in his face.
I don't see anything wrong with him voicing his opinion and I would doubt that
Hamilton of all people would have any problem with him doing so.

Personally, in spite of the fact that Rosberg's engines had the wrong settings on
it, I believe Hamilton got "lucky" in taking Rosberg out with him when he spun.

See our F1 related articles too!