FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
First appearance as a Red Bull driver.

"Verstappen said he was “shocked” by his sudden promotion. “I didn’t expect it, but yes I’m very happy with the opportunity of course. I have to say a big thank you to Red Bull and Dr Helmut Marko and now I just can’t wait to jump into the car.”"

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/05/p ... ll-driver/

By myownalias
It will be interesting to see how well Verstappen does in comparison to Ricciardo.

I think it's a like for like swap really, both are young impetuous drivers who are likely to have incidents, Verstappen crashed into his own team mate in Bahrain when Sainz would not move aside and Verstappen could not overtake the Spaniard. Frankly I think that Red Bull have been harsh on Kvyat, he scored a podium for them just two weeks ago.

Like for like? Not really. I think MV has more talent, is a smarter driver and learns from his mistakes more quickly than DK.

I guess we'll find out in the coming months, in my view Verstappen has been lucky that other drivers have gotten out of his way on many occasions (when Sainz wouldn't yield, Verstappen hit him), if the other driver closed the door, it would have been a contact. Like OB said; it was plain and simple a tactical move to get Kvyat out of the car and his unfortunate incident in Russia allowed them to slide Verstappen in. It would have been much harder for Red Bull if Kvyat didn't make contact with Vettel and went on to score a top six finish!
By darwin dali
I wouldn't be surprised if MV, after a brief time of accustomization to the new(ish) team and car, starts driving circles around DR :yes:
By myownalias
I wouldn't be surprised if MV, after a brief time of accustomization to the new(ish) team and car, starts driving circles around DR :yes:

Side subject, I always thought that it was amusing that people use the :yes: to agree with their own statement. It's like political ads "I'm Bernie Sanders and I endorse this message".

I think we all agree that Verstappen is a potential future WDC given the right car, but he is barely out of diapers, he needs time to be nurtured before being thrown in the shark tank. Marko said that Kvyat struggled under the pressure of being in the "A" team, Verstappen could turn out to be the same, Ricciardo is a seasoned pro and won't be phased by Verstappen.
By darwin dali

Side subject, I always thought that it was amusing that people use the :yes: to agree with their own statement. It's like political ads "I'm Bernie Sanders and I endorse this message".

Are you saying you've never affirmed a statement by nodding while making the statement? People (myself included) do that all the time and the yes smiley is just that (or can be used as just that).
By darwin dali
I think we all agree that Verstappen is a potential future WDC given the right car, but he is barely out of diapers, he needs time to be nurtured before being thrown in the shark tank. Marko said that Kvyat struggled under the pressure of being in the "A" team, Verstappen could turn out to be the same, Ricciardo is a seasoned pro and won't be phased by Verstappen.

Somehow I feel this young lad can withstand pressure quite well and even use that pressure to energize his ambitions. Jos is probably instrumental there with fatherly advice to make sure the kid keeps his head straight.
DR is a seasoned pro, but so was SV...
By myownalias

Are you saying you've never affirmed a statement by nodding while making the statement? People (myself included) do that all the time and the yes smiley is just that (or can be used as just that).

Actually, no I haven't... maybe it's an American thing?
By overboost
Red Bull have extended Verstappen's contract to 2019.

"Red Bull has a contract with Max Verstappen broken open and extended until 2019. The young Dutchman is therefore assured of a seat at the Austrian squad for the coming years. Jos Verstappen: "We are very pleased with how things are agreed in the new contract.""

http://www.f1today.net/nl/nieuws/f1/211 ... n-met-2019
By myownalias
I don't think Bernie will be that easy to get rid of as long as CVC own the sport. As for a three prong leadership, I have no issue with that; however I do take issue with anyone with ties to any competing team being involved in the leadership of the sport, that'll be disastrous for the sport as one or two teams get a stranglehold through their ally in leadership.
By darwin dali
Ross Brawn, former Team Chef and Team Owner with an engineering background;
Alain Prost, former driver and Team Owner;
Elon Musk, entrepreneur and business man with environmental foresight
By sagi58
Who else's could it possibly be? :P
Don't tell me Bernie decides that, too :yikes:

Nah... I just meant it shouldn't be up to the fans/sports writers
to impose that sort of pressure on teams/drivers!
By sagi58
...Are you saying you've never affirmed a statement by nodding while making the statement? People (myself included) do that all the time and the yes smiley is just that (or can be used as just that).

Actually, no I haven't... maybe it's an American thing?

North American as I use it all the time, too! :yes:

((see? :hehe: ))
By sagi58
Ecclestone to be replaced by triad that includes Lauda?

http://www.grandprix247.com/2016/05/05/ ... cclestone/

... I do take issue with anyone with ties to any competing team being involved in the leadership of the sport, that'll be disastrous for the sport as one or two teams get a stranglehold through their ally in leadership.

Agree!! I also noticed the words "conflict of interest" weren't used in the article! :whip:
By Jeffo
Max the axe joining Danni Ric . :director: GO RED BULL GO!!!! .........

Watch out Vettel! If Kvyat gave you the willies Max just gonna finish you off boy! No crying to the ginger boss now , because Max is the GOLDEN BOY!!! Haha

See our F1 related articles too!