FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By stonemonkey
Race control needs to learn to spell.
By overboost
Impressed by alonso's speed trap times. Looks like the Honda upgrade has some teeth.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes, third place through the speed trap. This is good news for Honda as their car would run out of steam half way down the straights previously.
By stonemonkey
Impressed by alonso's speed trap times. Looks like the Honda upgrade has some teeth.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yes, third place through the speed trap. This is good news for Honda as their car would run out of steam half way down the straights previously.

Button's hoping to be annihilated by Alonso this race.
By overboost
Free Practice 3 is actually going ahead. Will Qually?

Rosberg quickly goes off!

By overboost
Important info from the FIA:

Formula 1
@F1

UPDATE if qualifying is cancelled due to weather conditions, #FP3 times could set the grid #USGP #F1
By overboost
12:07 While we have cars on track, unsurprisingly there are no fans in the grandstands. Obviously the weather is playing a part, but also officials from the Circuit of the Americas issued warnings to fans the gates to the track would not open until noon.
Ian Parkes

12:08 Hamilton regroups to jump to the top of the times, 2m02.561s.

12:10 That lap from Vettel is 1.120s up on Hamilton's effort.

12:16 Hamilton is the latest driver to go off at Turn 2.

12:18 "Is anyone going faster, is anyone staying out?" asks Hamilton. Mercedes responds: "There are a few going faster, Vettel and Raikkonen have gone quicker, so let's get the car back and reconfigure the car."

12:20 "Ok Felipe, we think the best conditions are now and for the next five minutes," says Williams. Time to get some laps in then, just in case this session sets the grid.

Last edited by overboost on 24 Oct 15, 15:37, edited 2 times in total.
By overboost
Ferrari lead the way on the #FP3 timesheet - Hulkenberg is the best of the rest so far #USGP #F1

12:20 Hulkenberg does improve, finds the best part of a second to a 2m00.949s. He stays third, five-tenths off Vettel.

12:22 Hulkenberg is told "we are five tenths off pole" - Force India clearly think this session is
going to set the grid then!

12:22 Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton, Alonso, Button and Verstappen are in pitlane at the moment.

12:23 Rosberg goes fifth with his first lap. It's 1.094s behind Vettel.

12:24 Hulkenberg goes second, just 0.116s behind Vettel's effort. Still some improvement to be found for the drivers on track, it seems.

12:28 Circuit of the Americas has confirmed it is "continuing to prepare the grounds to safely accommodate our guests", reiterating gates not opening until noon. Tweets of fans out there listening to FP3 on radios. Such a shame.
Ian Parkes

12:29 Here's the current top 10: Vettel, Hulkenberg, Bottas, Raikkonen, Ricciardo, Sainz, Rosberg, Kvyat, Massa, Hamilton.

12:30 And the bottom half: Perez, Grosjean, Maldonado, Alonso, Ericsson, Rossi, Button, Stevens, Nasr and Verstappen.
By overboost
12:30 "This set used?" Alonso asks. He's told it is a used set with "little damage". "I don't understand, why did you send me out with these tyres again?". McLaren says it wants to save tyres in case qualifying does happen.

12:30 Hamilton is purple through the first two sectors.

12:31 Hamilton becomes the first driver to dip beneath the two-minute barrier, he sets a 1m59.517s.

12:31 Vettel has been off at Turn 19.

12:33 Vettel is facing the wrong way, gently letting his car roll backwards into the run-off area so he can rejoin safely.

12:34 Hamilton, Hulkenberg, Sainz, Rosberg, Massa, Grosjean, Ericsson, Stevens, Rossi, Nasr and Verstappen have retreated to pitlane.

12:34 "Conditions if you ask me are getting quite bad - I keep spinning," says Vettel.

12:34 Vettel spun at Turn 9 at pretty low speed, showing just how difficult it is out there.

MERCEDES AMG F1
@MercedesAMGF1

"It's waaaay too wet" says @LewisHamilton . Box, box, box then sir!

12:36 That lap from Hamilton was mightily impressive. Beautiful control of his Mercedes in the conditions, catching the back end on occasion as it threatened to get away from him. A joy to watch.
Ian Parkes

12:40 With conditions worsening we're unlikely to see an improvement in the times over the remainder of the session. If quali is cancelled and this is the grid, with Vettel serving a 10-place penalty, your front row would be Hamilton and Hulkenberg.
Ian Parkes
Last edited by overboost on 24 Oct 15, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
By overboost
12:42 Here is the order as it stands:
1. Hamilton 1m59.517s
2. Vettel 2m00.380s
3. Hulkenberg 2m00.496s
4. Bottas 2m00.523s
5. Sainz 2m00.687s
6. Kvyat 2m00.694s
7. Raikkonen 2m00.785s
8. Ricciardo 2m01.008s
9. Rosberg 2m01.474s
10. Massa 2m02.199s

12:44 And the bottom half:
11. Perez 2m02.660s
12. Grosjean 2m02.825s
13. Maldonado 2m02.921s
14. Alonso 2m03.375s
15. Ericsson 2m04.399s
16. Button 2m05.283s
17. Stevens 2m05.378s
18. Rossi 2m05.607s
19. Nasr 2m06.792s
20. Verstappen 2m09.994s

By overboost
12:52 So who's been busy this session? Bottas has completed 14 laps, 13 each for Massa and Ericsson.

12:53 Verstappen, Button and Rosberg were the least-busy of the drivers, logging seven laps each.

12:58 Less than 90 seconds left before the clock runs out for FP3, and it's all quiet

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if qualification can't be run today or tomorrow these results could set the grid.
Last edited by overboost on 26 Oct 15, 01:26, edited 2 times in total.
By myownalias
I would say that qualifying will be abandoned, the FIA keep on extending the delay, but looking at the weather, qualifying will happen tomorrow morning, if at all given the forecast, if there is no racing tomorrow, the event surely has to be abandoned as the circus need to be in Mexico for next weekend.
By darwin dali
I would say that qualifying will be abandoned, the FIA keep on extending the delay, but looking at the weather, qualifying will happen tomorrow morning, if at all given the forecast, if there is no racing tomorrow, the event surely has to be abandoned as the circus need to be in Mexico for next weekend.

Probably FP3 will be the grid for the race. If no race tomorrow, I think they were talking about a Monday race - should still work for a quick hop over the border to Mexico.
By myownalias

Probably FP3 will be the grid for the race. If no race tomorrow, I think they were talking about a Monday race - should still work for a quick hop over the border to Mexico.

From what I have heard on SKY TV, because teams have to be at the venue for Tuesday, a Monday USGP would make it tough for teams to get there and organized for the next race in Mexico.
By darwin dali
Race control says if there is no break in the weather conditions at 1600 local time, qualifying will be delayed until 0900 on Sunday morning.

Hmmm...

See our F1 related articles too!