FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Bladesman
Like Ted pretty much said on Sky their was no logical reason to bring Lewis in. Even if Ferrari had pitted Vettel they would have still had track position and track position is key in Monaco.
By sagi58
That was about the worst decision ever!!

My hat's off to Hamilton for showing a LOT of professionalism
in congratulating both Rosberg and Vettel. And, ESPECIALLY
for not taking the bait from Brundle!! Brundle was obviously
trying to get an emotional reaction from Hamilton and I think
it took a LOT of courage and class not to rise to the goading!!

:clap: Hamilton!! :clap:
By CigarGuy
So, no one has heard an explanation on Hammy's pit? The lads broadcasting in the States on NBC were throwing
Out some explanation about the virtual car v the real car and they got caught short there, but I don't understand
all that.
By overboost
Quite the ending to the race. Hamilton had dominated the race and built up a 20 sec lead. Maybe though he had taken too much out of his tires and felt vulnerable when the safety car happened.

Looks clear though that Hamilton decided to come in thinking that the others were pitting. Bad call.

"I came in with full confidence that the others would pit," says dejected Lewis Hamilton

edit:

Q: (Ian Parkes – Autosport) Question for Lewis. First of all, can you gives us just some idea as to how you’re feeling right now. Obviously we see you’re very low, very down but just express in your own words how you’re feeling. And, secondly, when that Safety Car situation unfolded, did you not at all question whether to come in or not? Bearing in mind, regardless of the situation with the tyres, track position is ultimately king in Monaco.

LH: I can’t really express the way I feel at the moment. So I won’t even attempt to. You rely on the team. I saw a screen, it looked like the team was out and I thought that Nico had pitted. Obviously I couldn’t see the guys behind so I thought the guys behind were pitting. The team said to stay out, I said “these tyres are going to drop in temperature,” and what I was assuming was that these guys would be on Options and I was on the harder tyre. So, they said to pit. Without thinking I came in with full confidence that the others had done the same.

http://www.fia.com/news/2015-monaco-gra ... nference-0
Last edited by overboost on 24 May 15, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Mercedes misjudged the gap by 3.5 sec. due to the fact that the virtual safety car got quickly switched out by the real safety car. Under the virtual safety car, everything basically gets frozen incl. the gaps as everybody is limited to a certain speed limit. As soon as the actual safety car got out, regular safety car procedures were governing the race and everybody could speed up to close up to the safety car - all the while LH was pitting. So the gap was down to 18 instead of 21 seconds or so and he came out behind SV (even though he briefly was ahead going up the hill, but had to concede second based on being behind SV at the white safety car line coming out of the pits).
This would be the technical explanation for why LH ended up behind SV. However, everybody is still scratching their collective head as to WHY Mercedes brought him into the pits in the first place with no need and most importantly, Ferrari not showing the slightest sign of calling SV in, the driver Mercedes probably tried to cover with that strategy move.
Ok, LH's comments there seem to provide some explanation for the call - looks like it was down to a communication problem?
By overboost
Hamilton said that he saw the pit crew out on the big screen and thought that Nico had pitted. So he wanted to be on the same tires as him for the sprint to the finish.
Last edited by overboost on 24 May 15, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
By 1Lemon
Well that was a typical boring pointless useless waste of time of a 'race' as always at Monaco.

People saying it was planned by Merc is hilarious "let's sabotage our $150M investment muhahaha"
On another point, I feel really bad for Verstappen. In the split second before the incident I said out loud, 'Grosjean is breaking way early'. In my opinion, Max had absolutely no time to react, and I place the blame with Grosjean. You HAVE to be able to trust when following a car that they will be consistent in their breaking. Grosjean wasn't. The accident was the result. In my opinion the stewards were just plain wrong with their decision.
On another point, I feel really bad for Verstappen. In the split second before the incident I said out loud, 'Grosjean is breaking way early'. In my opinion, Max had absolutely no time to react, and I place the blame with Grosjean. You HAVE to be able to trust when following a car that they will be consistent in their breaking. Grosjean wasn't. The accident was the result. In my opinion the stewards were just plain wrong with their decision.

I agree that the punishment was harsh, but the following car has the responsibility to react, so I think that a fair compromise would have been to call it a racing incident!

I agree that the punishment was harsh, but the following car has the responsibility to react, so I think that a fair compromise would have been to call it a racing incident!

Maybe, the problem is in that specific type of incident, the reality is that the following driver has no prospect of taking avoiding action because they just don't have the reaction time. The same principle as not moving in the braking zone. In karting it's bad enough when some inexperienced idiot does this, so I can't even imagine what it's like at 5 times the speed with cars twice the width.

See our F1 related articles too!