FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I literally fell asleep in the middle of the race. I really wish more teams challenge mercedes in the coming races. Congrats to lewis for another great win. He controlled the race qell.
Whatever Rosberg's feelings about it, Hamilton controlled the race perfectly - they were marginal on using softs for 2 stints and Hamilton managed his race as he needed to. Vettel was a threat for a bit of the 2nd stint but as was discussed after the race Vettel pushed to pass Rosberg on track and took too much out of the tyres which compromised him a bit - although Ferrari weren't quick enough on the mediums anyway.

While Rosberg will moan at Hamilton, nothing Hamilton did affected the result and unless Ferrari can find another half a second it looks like Hamilton is going to cruise to the title!

Exactly and Hamilton had pace to burn at the end of the race he said. Lewis was about 18 seconds down the road ahead of Vettel before the safety car came out.

Not sure what Rosberg is moaning about other cars proved it was easy enough to overtake if they wanted to. Lewis would have just gone faster anyway if Nico got closer.
All this talk about tyres being shot when its time now to overtake for Vettel and Rosberg, but Vestappen, Ericsson, Maldonado, Button, Riccardo were able to carry out overtakes, so their tyres were not hit as much as the larger teams upfront? That's seems absurd, why weren't their tyres failing too? Do tyres only fail when you are in a Mercedes and Ferrari? :bs:
All this talk about tyres being shot when its time now to overtake for Vettel and Rosberg, but Vestappen, Ericsson, Maldonado, Button, Riccardo were able to carry out overtakes, so their tyres were not hit as much as the larger teams upfront? That's seems absurd, why weren't their tyres failing too? Do tyres only fail when you are in a Mercedes and Ferrari? :bs:

Different cars, different drivers, slower speeds etc etc.....
Rather boring race, I have to say, especially when it's only a highlight show :( my heart went out for Verstappen - what a racer, he really deserved to finish well. Great race fr Lewis, really making his team mate look average....solid Ferrari finish.

Shame the whole thing finished under the safety car :banghead:
Rather boring race, I have to say, especially when it's only a highlight show :( my heart went out for Verstappen - what a racer, he really deserved to finish well. Great race fr Lewis, really making his team mate look average....solid Ferrari finish.

Shame the whole thing finished under the safety car :banghead:

I just cannot agree with this at all. In the race there were a lot of lengthy competitive battles from start to finish. There was the fight between Red Bull and Sauber, some intra-team rivalries between teammates at virtually every team, Button vs Maldonado (+Alonso), and for the last few laps until the safety car ruined it, it was building to a last lap or two tussle between Vettel and Kimi.

There were multiple overtakes and a couple of contacts between cars.

With the exception of the winning team, there is no justifiable way of saying that the race was boring.
Some great battles in the mid-field.

The battle of the young guns in the midfield salvaged the race for me, plus the Button/Maldonado battle for 13th.

I really hope that Ferrari can close the gap to Mercedes soon to at least make the title race a two horse battle.
Button made the race for me - he showed what a bad car in great hands can do. He may have gotten too close though... :thumbup:

From what I saw on the live coverage, Maldonado did appear to make a second defensive move.
Whatever Rosberg's feelings about it, Hamilton controlled the race perfectly - they were marginal on using softs for 2 stints and Hamilton managed his race as he needed to. Vettel was a threat for a bit of the 2nd stint but as was discussed after the race Vettel pushed to pass Rosberg on track and took too much out of the tyres which compromised him a bit - although Ferrari weren't quick enough on the mediums anyway.

While Rosberg will moan at Hamilton, nothing Hamilton did affected the result and unless Ferrari can find another half a second it looks like Hamilton is going to cruise to the title!

It looked to me to be a case where Merc's plan was to drive just fast enough to keep ahead of the Ferrari pace and not to race each other. A bit of dirty pool from Hamilton to push Rosberg back into Vettel prompting Rosberg's compliants. The Merc's tires seemed fine, Ferrari may need to find more than half a second.

Other than that and a exciting first few laps it was a fairly subdued race.
It really does just feel that Rosberg has given up this year, very strange for a high caliber sportsman at the top of his career in the fastest car.
It really does just feel that Rosberg has given up this year, very strange for a high caliber sportsman at the top of his career in the fastest car.

Agreed!! He seemed to have more drive last year!!
Could it be that his contract is up for renewal and
he thinks the writing is on the wall?

Didn't he sign a 2 year contract last year?

Didn't he sign a 2 year contract last year?

Yup... and, that means he's up for negotiations, this year!
At least, he hopes he is! :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!