FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Will Button be with McLaren Honda in 2015

Yes
32%
No
68%
Why would they not swap him for RoGro? - younger cheaper, faster - Eric will know this, what about JEV? instead

What reasons would there be for keeping button when he was employed by a regime that has been expunged, what did he do this season to show Ron that he was the 1 thing the terminated TP got right? Have we heard Ron talking about what a big difference he alone, apart from Mag has made to the team this season?

Or is it that Ron is the kind of TP who is sentimental and keeps a driver when he could get a better one? or maybe the old chesnut that Honda really like Jenson and although they have flirted with Alonso they will insist Button is not allowed to get away?

I just dont see a single reason Ron would keep Button, not 1

unless....:yikes:....nah...:spaz:...no way....not.....:yellowyikes:....... :smileysex:..... :shock:... :superyikes:...

RON HAS BEEN DISTURBED!!!!!!

:D
:hehe::hehe: Ron's face....then the thought of him being 'disturbed' by Jens. :rofl:
:hehe: :hehe: Ron's face....then the thought of him being 'disturbed' by Jens. :rofl:

I think a perfectly shaped eraser at the top of a pencil would disturb our Ron. :D

Such fun.
:rofl:

Except with ron it wouldnt be a mere disturbance, it would be a manifestation of the optimisation of system redundancy as applied to the physical interaction and communication between 2 binary methods of adult expressionisation.
If McLaren signed RoGro etc they will have a harder choice to make for 2016 when if Honda comes good they will have alonso/Lewis sniffing around. So with MAG who they will want to keep hold of they will have one seat available.

Sent using NCC-1701
If you where a sort after driver (alonso/hamilton) would you want to risk it by jumping to Mclaren next year?

If you where an up an coming driver (hulk/bottas) would you want to risk your career possibly stalling because of the 2015 Mclaren Honda?

The problem is that Mclaren is in the wilderness. They don't have the chassis, or aero at the moment. They have the engine but next year what is the engine going to be like? Honda will be a complete 12 months behind on knowledge of these engines. (No doubt they have a lot of info on the current Merc engine from Mclaren) but how much of that is reverse engineered?

So by next year Mclaren will have to make a leap in chassis development, a leap in aero, and hope that Honda has done it's job well. That is a lot of ifs, buts, and coconuts to stake possibly your career on.

Sent using NCC-1701
:rofl:

Except with ron it wouldnt be a mere disturbance, it would be a manifestation of the optimisation of system redundancy as applied to the physical interaction and communication between 2 binary methods of adult expressionisation.

Cookin, I never thought it was possible for someone to sh*t themselves in their head...but I just did after reading that. NICE! :hehe:

So by next year Mclaren will have to make a leap in chassis development, a leap in aero, and hope that Honda has done it's job well. That is a lot of ifs, buts, and coconuts to stake possibly your career on.

Sent using NCC-1701

Well we saw how Renault improved over a season, and Honda should have a slight advantage over them, it would take a whole season agreed, they have access to bigger resiurces than Merc should Ron show enough in 2014, and they have the best aero man in the game next year when Newey is running over ducks in his boat
Cant be any worse a proposition to the one facing Lewis when he left McLaren to buttons exemplary leadership skills

I reckon the trick isnt to look at now but to look at 2016 - what does Merc have that Honda doesnt? since McLaren got rid of the dead weight given themoney and tech resources on tap who else on the grid 'could' (big could admittedely) be the Merc challenge within a year - its not such a big gamble for Alonso who is at the end of his career and needs a big pay cheque and a bit of hope of wiinning races, Bottas - would be mad to think McLaren under the conditions I mentioned was a bigger gamble than the one at Williams when he arrived
As for Hulk I reckon he would have your arm off if you said Honda would pay him year in year out fior a while if he too k the gamble

All this depends on how they look during 2015 and Button is the last person you would want leading the team that has so much to prove - remeber this year Ron has an excuse - its the fault of last years monkeys, next year he is staking his company on a guy who got pole once in 4 years for him, a guy he has publically told to pull up his socks and who since then ...well no more needs to be said
Sorry, but i'm not buying the "Button has been terrible" argument. If we look at the WDC he is 7th in the table behind the two Mercedes and two RBR's (best cars in the field), Alonso (one of the 2 best drivers in F1) and Bottas (who has had a brilliant season and is in a better car). So Button is 7th in a car that is at best, fifth fastest and no faster than a force india - I'd say he is slightly outperforming the car.

Also, the rule of you can only be compared to your team mate applies here, and Button has nearly double the points of Magnussen (who since Melbourne has only scored 21 points)!

If I was McLaren, I would keep him for 2015 on a 1 year deal and give the same deal to Magnussen. The line up is good but McLaren of course want to keep their options open in case Alonso/Hamilton/Vettel get unhappy at their current teams and want a move.
Its not a simple Button has been terrible or not argument, if you read thru there are a few pointers to why there is a mismatch between Mclaren and Button. In short, McLaren are looking to be a front running major again, they have big resources, they have all the potential bits required for sustained period at the top.
However they dont have a driver thats without question able to maximise whatever package the other bits of the puzzle produce. The team need a driver sponsors are happy to pay the big bucks for because they get exposure. Just saying he has done well enough because he is beating a rookie teammate (who has outqualified him) or because he is ahead of drivers in midgrid teams, many pay drivers, is exactly the point.

If the team want to stay at the back of the mid grid, happy to be matching Force India then Button with his 15 years experience is ok- minus the 3rd highest wage on the grid. To be paid 15 - 30 times the likes of Bottas, Perez, Mag, JEV, RoGro, Hulk and to produce similar results is the issue here. You think Button would do much better than these drivers? 30 times better? Which is why the team are after a star driver - their words

Button is not terrible but he is an average driver on star money at a star team in an average position, somethings gotta give to improve and imopress the sponsors and Honda who have a one year excleusive option witht he team. Either they get a star driver on star money to help, or they get a potential star on little money (Mag) or a prioven star on little money - Bottas/Hulk or an average driver on little money - Massa, Perez. WHat they have now is an average slow driver on the third highest wage

Does that make sense
I guess the argument is if McLaren had an Alonso or the guy McLaren previously let go level of driver in the team, would they be fifth in the constructor's? You could also ask the question the other way, if Button was at Ferrari would Ferrari be fighting for fifth in the constructor's rather than 3rd.

Clearly the superstar talent pool is not very expansive at the moment. So the options are hire a Hamilton or an Alonso and have them will you up a couple of spots because of their talent. OR... hire guys that you see as burgeoning talent, like a Bottas or a Hulkenberg. Both of which IMO would cost less than Button and give greater returns/results.

The options are easier if you have a competetive car, if McLaren was where Williams is at the moment. But they're not, they've managed to come to the grid with below par driving and a below par chassis and the results speak for themselves. And when I say below par, I mean par as the level McLaren expects to compete at which is third and up in the constructor's year in, year out.
Put it this way, the guy they let go off would qualify at least where Mags has and finish the race at least where he started - therefore its a given they would have many more points, imagine Mags turning his quali into points every race - he would have killed Button. A slow qualifier who brings the car home is a luxury for a back grid team - a quantifiable alternative to a fast driver who does not have 15 years experience to draw upon when finishing where he started, corrected for retirements ahead.
When you have pay drivers in the equation then a Button makes zero sense, less sense than a Heidfeld who was unlucky to fall into this pay driver equation. Thats exactly where Button should be if he hadnt had the stroke of luck and patronage of a TP proven to have zero ability in on track (and even off track) production of the goods

Who would pay Button 15 mill vs mags, Perez, Kyviat, who bring sponsorship pr vs Hulk, Bottas, Ricc, JEV on 1/30 pay

When you consider the sponsors who do not exist anymore, hence the pay driver importance, whats the point of employing a bird that doesnt fly and whose sole claim to fame is that it has an airtight arse allowing it to float on the surface without sinking?

I really cant wait to see what Mclaren will do, im not ready to put money on Alonso but I think RoGro is the key
From Matt Morris (promoted tech chief to replace Paddy)

"Yes, we've been working hard over the past year to bring in some new people, allow a few people to move on, and change the way the engineering team is structured," he said.

"With the valuable input of Jonathan [Neale, Chief Operating Officer and acting Chief Executive Officer] and Eric [Boullier, Racing Director], that plan is now almost complete.

"However, we do still have a few more people in the incoming and outgoing pipelines, which is something that always happens when you want to stay fresh. We now need to give our new people and structures some time to develop and mature, but we're already seeing some of those changes coming to fruition as we continue to add performance to the car."

But we will keep our slower than a rookie lead driver to help the impression of fresh changes???

lets see what this enigma of a team do next :hooli-popcorn:

See our F1 related articles too!