FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

Will Button be with McLaren Honda in 2015

Yes
32%
No
68%
I would of thought snails would of been more accurate.

Sent using NCC-1701

I was going for the onomatopoeia: ratatatatatatatatata.
They are Japanese, so they will be better than Renault that's for sure.

Rice cooker vs. ratatouille

I think Honda will make quite a good rice burner for McLaren.
I did think there was a poll already but I assumed I would have started it and so couldnt find it :hehe:

As a few newcommers to the site may not yet know the whole context behind Button ending up as lead driver and leading over practically the 2 worst years in their recent history, on track as well as off track with respect to sponsors running for the hills with the boss of Santandar famously saying they pulled most of their budget from the team because Button is in a different league from the driver who was there previously - Lewis

So Button was very lucky to have been employed on the third highest wage (Alonso and Lewis money) at a time the team were under a completely new management 'style' compared to that of the previous 3 decades. The ideas and approach of that brief period has been completely erased and surgically removed, infact buried so deep its like it didnt exist.

however Button on his 3rd highest wage remains on contract till the end of 2014.

Seems there is now some decision made althouh we know Ron has been known to change drivers during the winter break

In the media we have 2 different views of who will be employed in 2015

From Button we have this

"I'm not worried in any way about that. I'm pretty happy I'll be here next year, and I feel I'm doing a good job right now,” he said.

"I just have to sort Saturdays a bit more.

“I've been a bit unlucky and not got the best out of it every weekend, which annoys me more than anything else, but I'll get there.”

And he talked for the first time about 2015 and the scale of the challenge Honda face.

"I know Honda will be giving everything to be competitive from the word go, but Formula One is so competitive now, and Mercedes have done a great job,” he said.

"It's always going to be tricky to challenge someone like that who have the experience of the engine already.

"There will definitely be a learning curve."

and from the team we have this
'It's down to Ron and I, but Ron has the last call as the owner and chairman of the company, although when it comes to protocol it is the board that has the last call.

'But Ron and I generally agree. On this subject (of the drivers) we are quite transparent and open together.

'We have our view, and have some preferences in the timing, but we are okay on what we expect, what we want, where we want to go, and it's working okay.'
If there's going to be an announcement of some type at McLaren, wouldn't you think it'd be in Suzuka?

if it was going to be Suzuka surely it would be the driver Honda have publically ordered Ron to go get, money no object, if it was a lesser driver that could be rubbing Hondas bnose in iot, maybe theyll leave it for after if its not Alonso, but seems like something is up
My gut tells me...and bare with me on this, cuz some of it makes little sense but a lot of it does sound on point. McLaren will announce that Button has been extended for one more year. That's it. That's the big news. Why one more year? Lewis is heading back to Woking for season 2016. Button will be there in 2015 for the teething process with the McLaren Honda. Winter testing and the first few races will tell Lewis that it's the right move. Just watch...he's gonna stretch out this Mercedes contract renewal until the beginning of next season. Why would he leave Mercedes and go back to McLaren? Well that's a whole discussion onto itself.

Such fun!
my gut tells me button out, wait on Alonso till last moment, if not RoGro in (on a year plus option for another), Mags stays, if 3 driver teams, Koba in (on one year+option) - with 2015 targetting Alonso and Lewis plus Japanese champ from their open wheel series (or any 2 out of those 3) and Honda persuaded to remain fully works with wide open chequebook
So in this scenario a lot rides on 2014, not in results wise but in marketing and creating a buzz terms
Getting quite exciting at McLaren isn't it :P
If things were the way I'd predicted, Hamilton would still be at McLaren, so what do I know? I just leave it to the professionals.
I was right on the money with Lewis leaving McLaren :D and Merc was the Only feasible place. I just didn't realise quite how good that move would prove to be :D I wouldn't vote against him going back to McLaren at some point though.
If McLaren don't get rid of the guy end of this year, they prove to be real mutts and I lose some respect for RD as well for settling for a sh*tty ROI and keeping the engineers guessing and in the dark for yet another year. They've wasted enough years with this ****.

Latest interview I saw something along the lines of "my qualifying has not been good but I'll get there"....laughable, just laughable. We are already near the end of the season and this **** thinks he has an excuse to "find time to get there". RD needs to give him a swift kick in the teeth, and terminate his contract.
The plot thickens, seems the Italian media have decided Alonsos going, and we know how much power they have

Italy's respected La Gazzetta dello Sport on Monday said Alonso has even now told Ferrari that he intends to leave.

That would tie in perfectly with his claims that he might have news about his future in a couple of weeks, and rumours Honda's ideal backdrop for an announcement would be its very own Suzuka circuit ahead of the forthcoming Japanese grand prix.

McLaren, however, is denying its deliberations about whether or not to keep Jenson Button beyond 2014 are connected to rumours of a Suzuka announcement.

"Absolutely not," said team boss Eric Boullier when asked if a driver decision by McLaren might be expected in Japan.

"There are no plans to announce anything yet," he is quoted by Sky.

Curiously, the latest speculation from the McLaren camp is that Button is in fact set to get at least one more year at Woking.

Boullier is even hinting that a decision about McLaren's 2015 pairing is now made.

"More or less yes," he said. "More or less it is open and more or less it is decided. Please don't twist my arm," the Frenchman smiled.

And if there is anything we know about Rons McLaren, it would be not to expect for even a second for the team to say or do anything at all that is not 100% in their interests. So if Jenson is feeling comfortable that someone has hinted that he will stay he needs to go read up on Macca history - even if the confirmed him verbally on Monday, they would happily sign with Alonso on Tuesday without even thanking the smokesceen man or paying for his taxi to shepherds bush
Button is the last person you wanted in 2014 with a new car needing to be developed quickly with lots of feedback and pushing the car to its limits

2015 with a new engine will be even harder

With no sponsors, and Honda wanting to see progress from day one I am enjoying this game of will he stay or will he go as F1 is full of surprises and this would be the biggest one in history (for me) if he is retained, yet he is prancing around talking about how hard it will be to lead the team to try and catch up with Merc in 2015

We could be in the middle of the biggest public humiliation of an F1 driver ever. (or I could spend the next year in a vegitative state of shock :hehe: '

See our F1 related articles too!