FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I'm curious if one of the reasons they didn't use the fresh tires they had ready to go was because they didn't get past 3rd place in germany when they did have him run several sets of softs. Just a thought, and obviously a very different track to hockenheim but idk :confused:
When the decision was made I don't think they were confident that Nico on his used tyres would catch up to Lewis by the end. Would also explain why the team didn't think it through when giving the order for the pass.

Edit: on top of that, the order might've been given to Lewis so he didn't waste his tyres in what the team at the time considered a needless fight with Nico, something that lewis' reply about letting him past if he gets closer would seem to indicate.
When the decision was made I don't think they were confident that Nico on his used tyres would catch up to Lewis by the end. Would also explain why the team didn't think it through when giving the order for the pass.

They apparently weren't confident of a lot of things, just seemingly winging it with their eyes focused exclusively on Nico. I think Mercedes AMG just realized that they have widely open the eyes of all who watch or participate in some way in Formula One. The brand just took a nasty hit and as numerous pundits have said, Lewis was the only person thinking this whole mess through...while driving at 160mph in the wet...and got it right. Will be interesting to see how they (Mercedes) handle the rest of the season cuz this kind of nonsense ain't over by a long stretch.

Such fun...
^^^ :clap::clap::clap: but he's not cerebral you know, our Lewis :wink:

They apparently weren't confident of a lot of things, just seemingly winging it with their eyes focused exclusively on Nico. I think Mercedes AMG just realized that they have widely open the eyes of all who watch or participate in some way in Formula One. The brand just took a nasty hit and as numerous pundits have said, Lewis was the only person thinking this whole mess through...while driving at 160mph in the wet...and got it right. Will be interesting to see how they (Mercedes) handle the rest of the season cuz this kind of nonsense ain't over by a long stretch.

Such fun...

IMO they had their eyes on maximising both their strategies and got it wrong in terms of the team mates competing with each other while Lewis got it spot on. I don't think its much of a hit to the brand other than to those looking for conspiracy theories, more just embarrassment from lewis showing them up.
We're talking about brains when we should be talking about balls. The guy was ahead of his teammate, he starts last... From pit lane... And manages to get in front of his teammate that started the GP in pole position. I mean, how does Nico even begin to wrap his very capable brain around that?

Jeez, I feel bad for Nico. Having to think of his worst, one could say humiliating, finish for the next month!
We're talking about brains when we should be talking about balls. The guy was ahead of his teammate, he starts last... From pit lane... And manages to get in front of his teammate that started the GP in pole position. I mean, how does Nico even begin to wrap his very capable brain around that?

Jeez, I feel bad for Nico. Having to think of his worst, one could say humiliating, finish for the next month!

We'll find out what's what when merc decides it's time to take the gloves off the pair of them.
Man you guys should be seeing the Mercedes AMG official facebook page.

Nico has this short video of him giving a summary of each race, his thoughts on it and all....and in the Hungarian one, he is getting ripped to pieces. The Merc admin is trying again to diffuse tensions but they can only do so much.

If I were Merc I'd be especially careful with Lewis' car from now onwards. Their dream year is on a knife edge from turning into a PR blunder.
Last edited by Hammer278 on 29 Jul 14, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
I guess that's the thing, a team or computer can spit out the optimum strategy, but ultimately you need the ass in the seat to make it work.
I guess that's the thing, a team or computer can spit out the optimum strategy, but ultimately you need the ass in the seat to make it work.

I wouldn't say always but seems to me to be the case here.
Just looked at the Mercedes page. They really are getting slated, and Nico is. And it's not just Brits doing the slating, there are a lot of comments by fans where English clearly isn't their first language.
The Merc guys in fairness are trying to respond to the negative comments, but they're overwhelming. They say Toto will release a question/ Answer session soon.
Any day now, we will be told Ross Brawn has agreed to 'consulting' with Toto and Paddy from his fishing boat

They should get Ross a cell phone.
This is a genuine question, not baiting or teasing because I don't know. As a matter of interest Roth - do you have experience / qualifications /a general interest in psychology as a professional or academic discipline? I'm not at all judging what you said regarding Hamilton possibly having a psychological issue, more interested in what led you to bringing it up to begin with. As I say - I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything like that - just genuinely interested. :)

See our F1 related articles too!