FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
So now to fill in the gap from all the psychological experts like EJ, watson and co who have all mysteriously gone quiet on the battle of the mental dwarves at Merc - in comes the one driver who would know all about having it all and finding a way of not winning - Mr Harry Heinz who was meant to be miles better than Damon

Former Sauber and Williams driver Frentzen believes Hamilton is the one with the psychological edge and Rosberg should change his mindset if he is to surpass his Silver Arrows team-mate.

He told Auto Bild: "Nico is making mistakes because he is not free in the head.

"He needs to pretend that the world championship fight is already over.

"Only by not thinking about it can he begin to relax again."

Frentzen said it is precisely this kind of calmness that is contributing to Hamilton’s increasing dominance at the pointy end of the intense 2014 battle.

“He’s mentally strong and totally relaxed,” he said. “You can see it in the little things — the way he gets into the car, the way he puts on his gloves,” added Frentzen

Surely an intelligent and cerebral chap like Nico has worked this out, or is he slow in that department? Its easy for harry to say this from the sidelines especially after his own efforts - could it be that Nico is not mentally strong enough to overcome any mental hangups that are obvious to Harry?
Or maybe this is just normal heebie jeebies of fast approaching crunchtime when a driver is under the most pressure of all.

In that case it would be unfair to accuse Nico of lacking the mental strength to avoid mistakes under the pressure of approaching the finish line

Every sportsman goes through this, and its Nicos first time, thats all :thumbup:
Wow these are really cookin's comments made during the race?!

But as an informed observer with the live data you had claimed that Nico's pit stop plan and tire management was not astonishing nor a surprise. Yet your comments above show otherwise! Nico must have really blown your socks off when he made his play and took it to the finish. Maybe you just didn't understand the data! :wink: In fact you said he was dumb for driving fast and setting purples, but isn't that what race car drivers are supposed to do!

I wasnt there but I rely on the data that was beamed live - this is more useful to an informed observer than siting track side with a limited view and no understanding of the data is to a muppet. Nico did well, amazing even, he was very fast, he didnt crash, he even overtook a few people. Nico is very fast - Anyone of the top 5 drivers in the WDC table could have done what Rosberg did in that Merc but only one could do the things Rosberg hasnt done

Lets go slowly with the facts we have :thumbup:
The Merc was by far the fastest car in Russia
Only Nico and Lewis drive Mercs
Tyre deg is something that cause a tyre to lose performance permanently once it starts - the contact patch stops working as designed - due to the wearing away of the rubber/synthetic content.
A tyre without deg doesnt lose performance to deg...................

bla bla bla
....................so your claim of Nico possibly winning the race without his poor racecraft induced error is :bs:

Maybe you 3 can get together and come for schooling all at once - might be better for you

So basically what you are admitting is that you are not a 'better than trackside informed observer', just as I had pointed out! And that Nico shocked and awed CookinFlat6. You never saw it coming! :wink:

ps. It is Hamilton who hasn't done what Nico accomplished in recovering to second place in Sochi. So far this season Lewis when starting from the back in that monster Merc has only been able to bring it back to third place.
Last edited by overboost on 23 Oct 14, 02:04, edited 2 times in total.
By LRW
Pssst. Overboost... Let you in on a little secret. Nico didn't start at the back. :hehe:

I think you should give up -its obviously too complicated for him to work out.
ps. It is Hamilton who hasn't done what Nico accomplished in recovering to second place in Sochi. So far this season Lewis when starting from the back in that monster Merc has only been able to bring it back to third place.

Err, as an example, in Hungary, Lewis...1. started from pit lane, 2. in the rain, 3. on a narrow track, 4. finished on the podium (P3), 5. ahead of his team-mate who started on pole, 6. said team-mate who had far fresher tyres. Oh dear, Overboost, when you wrote your PS, it made Nico look even more silly. Fanks. :hehe: (Dear Mods, do you know where I can find an emoticon of the little yellow guy taking a p*ss? We can call it p*ssing away an easy win. :wink: )

Such fun!

PS. As heard over the radio, "Why...why isn't he letting me pass? boohoo :cry:"
By Murphy
I can't wait to see how this Championship is going to end.
I have a feeling that the double points rule is going to be the difference between them and one set of fans are going to be enraged!
I don't know who it's going to be yet, but this forum is going to be worth a look when it does kick off. :D
I have a feeling that the double points rule is going to be the difference between them and one set of fans are going to be enraged!
I don't know who it's going to be yet, but this forum is going to be worth a look when it does kick off. :D

Truth be told, you will only hear utter rage if Nico wins despite Lewis dominating him with 10 or 11 wins to Nico's five. Only then will this be a complete farce. If Lewis wins the WDC, all you will hear around here is celebration, rightly so. The right driver wins.

Such fun. :)
By Murphy
I think either sets of fans will be annoyed if it goes against their respective driver.
I can't say that I've ever been a fan of the double points rule, in fact I'm dead set against it. I'm beginning to think the only people who like the double points rule are the Abu Dhabi GP organisers.

Truth be told, you will only hear utter rage if Nico wins despite Lewis dominating him with 10 or 11 wins to Nico's five. Only then will this be a complete farce. If Lewis wins the WDC, all you will hear around here is celebration, rightly so. The right driver wins.

No rage just great shame brought upon the sport. It could theoretically wind up 11 victories for Lewis to Nico's 4 and still lose the championship because of the double points.
It would be disaster for F1, could even tip the series into mainstream ridicule. And at a time when it was already stretching the credibility of pay TV popularity and stretching the 'modern technology' impression with already old fashioned hybrid tech when manufacturers are pushing the boundaries of energy and emission efficiency far far away from bernie and his empty grandstands in yet another democratically challenged sh!thole

And Merc dont have any upside there either, as they now have both titles in the bag no matter what.

I think we will only see both cars retire in Abu double never ever in a month of Sundays will we see just the one

IMHO

Unfortunately imo it would be the icing on the cake of a season already spoiled by a lack of competition due to the innovation freeze on engines.

Any hope of a resurgence by Ricciardo/Red Bull or even Alonso/Ferrari as the season moved along and a thrilling season finale was choked off by the enforced Merc dominance.

Sadly victory this season will seem hollow no matter which driver takes it.
a thrilling season finale was choked off by the enforced Merc dominance.

:rofl::rofl:

The MONSTER is under your bed OB, grab the vaseline and try not to scream too loud please :hehe:
Sadly victory this season will seem hollow no matter which driver takes it.

Nothing even remotely hollow about it if Lewis wins...and again, the win rate over his team-mate isn't/hasn't even been close. If he, Lewis, wins, he earned every pound of that trophy. If Nico wins despite winning less than half the races of his team-mate, THEN the WDC victory would be hollow.

See our F1 related articles too!