FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Can we talk?! So we have on menu, Canada, Austria, Silverstone, Hochenheim, Hungaroring and Spa…all technical/drivers circuits where rhythm is key and the cars get to stretch their legs on some decent straights with high speed corners…happy hunting grounds for Lewis. Barring any reliability issues, can anyone see Nico seriously challenging him for wins at those meetings? It's my view that if both cars are sound for the rest of the way, I don't see Nico being a threat until Monza and or Singapore. Lewis will use the upcoming races to make a statement. That in itself will put Nico in a horrible place. And the really sad thing is, I can see Lewis not ever having a real friendship with Nico again. He'll be courteous and professional but that's kinda where it ends. #eyeswideopen
Can we talk?! So we have on menu, Canada, Austria, Silverstone, Hochenheim, Hungaroring and Spa…all technical/drivers circuits where rhythm is key and the cars get to stretch their legs on some decent straights with high speed corners…happy hunting grounds for Lewis. Barring any reliability issues, can anyone see Nico seriously challenging him for wins at those meetings? It's my view that if both cars are sound for the rest of the way, I don't see Nico being a threat until Monza and or Singapore. Lewis will use the upcoming races to make a statement. That in itself will put Nico in a horrible place. And the really sad thing is, I can see Lewis not ever having a real friendship with Nico again. He'll be courteous and professional but that's kinda where it ends. #eyeswideopen

It is sad, but he does need his eyes opening. I think they're open :D
It is sad, but he does need his eyes opening. I think they're open :D

Sometimes there is nothing better that a rude slap to, as I say, get your mind right.

Such fun!
By Roth
Nobody saw this side of Nico coming. Even if the initial mistake wasn't deliberate he certainly did enough in the run-off area to raise doubts about his moral boundaries. His celebrations afterwards were either a man oblivious of the consequences, or trying very hard to hide his duplicity; he appeared to be buzzing around looking for affirmation of his PP and not finding much. For an allegedly intelligent man this was the dumbest move of the season.

The trend appears to be Nico initiating antagonistic behaviour. We'll never know if had Nico not turned up his engine in Bahrain, whether Hamilton would have returned the favour in Spain. I hope he doesn't feel the need to constantly repay Nico in kind.
Lewis V Nico. battle on!
by What's Burning? » 27 May 14, 23:58

So in a year of continued McLaren struggles, Jenson manages to remain relative as the authority on Lewis teamatedom.

Personally, I think there will be little to discuss in this thread. There's been little to discuss as is. Nico has lost every outing where lady luck hasn't blessed him. So the tally is Skill 4 Luck 2, I think the staying power of luck is much shorter lived, we know how it ends.

Not sure what you were trying to say there WB. Is your hatred of Jenson so all consuming that you failed to actually read what he said?
Lewis V Nico. battle on!So in a year of continued McLaren struggles, Jenson manages to remain relative as the authority on Lewis teamatedom.

Personally, I think there will be little to discuss in this thread. There's been little to discuss as is. Nico has lost every outing where lady luck hasn't blessed him. So the tally is Skill 4 Luck 2, I think the staying power of luck is much shorter lived, we know how it ends.

Not sure what you were trying to say there WB. Is your hatred of Jenson so all consuming that you failed to actually read what he said?

Don't be so bashful, you know what I'm trying to say. I don't hate the guy, I simply don't rate him as highly as others do, and clearly this year his weaknesses as a team leader are showing and are very much a detriment, but he's a bit like Rosberg IMO, very skilled at being at the right place after a fallout situation and given the right tools, he'll get the job done.

But don't miss the forest for the trees, I think it's utterly ridiculous to ask one active driver to be psychoanalyzing another driver, and even more ridiculous for him to spend time answering the question. When the consuming thing for him as a racer should be more about getting himself and his car further up the grid.

Perhaps he's auditioning for his next job?
I know Lewis takes a lot of heat. Some drivers just attract that, always the standouts. The additional criticism comes with the wins some drivers however get the little bit extra and Lewis has always gotten more than his share.

The same people that dislike him and point at his behavior, his mental fractures whatever, are rarely the same ones that point out similar behavior of other drivers, whether it's Kimmi questioning Ferrari, or Vettel with his "tough luck" comment. Everyone gets a pass but Lewis and you have to wonder why.

Whether Nico locked up his car by scheme or by overcooking, that's done and it clearly was the end game. But how come there's no one jumping on him for "celebrating" his pole as if he'd achieved something? How come no one is questioning his befuddling decision to back his car out onto the track after the fumble? Malice or inability, it certainly wasn't skill that got him the results.

The score is artificially close, but it won't stay like that going into the mid season break, that I'm sure of.
If we go back to what started this all, it's the bit that bothers me maybe the most…Nico's attitude in Spain, he was royally pissed that Lewis used a higher performing engine mode to help aid in holding him (Nico) off but the fact is, Nico did it first in Bahrain. It's like Nico feels he should be allowed to use the tools on the car to his benefit but Lewis is not entitled, not worthy. So I suppose Lewis saying if you can do it, I'll do it also to balance the scales again and that is what ultimately led to Détente at Mirabeau. Nico really has some nerve…but I think he is about to discover that he poked the beast with a stick one too many times, this time not realizing the cage door was left open.

While I'm unburdening myself, I have yet to hear one person (media/Mercedes/F1 community) come out emphatically in Lewis' corner. Everyone is assuming that since the Steward couldn't prove intent of wrong doing and Nico would never commit such a "foul" (using Wolff's word) because he is/has been such a nice guy, what happened had to be an error. There are team personnel and several drivers up and down the paddock who have, in an off the record sort of way, cast a shadow of doubt on the whole intent but have not truly said what they intimated. Even Derrick Walker, the Steward for the Monaco GP this morning (Wednesday) said Lewis needs to just "man up" and get on with it. Well excuse me! When you feel you have been wronged, should you just lie down and say "thank you and may I have another"…taking the buggering gleefully? Most of us are going to stand up for ourselves no matter if it's us against the world. That is where Lewis lives currently. The upside to all of this, as I said previously, Lewis is in an #eyeswideopen mood and has a loooong string of circuits coming up that play to his strengths. He just needs to do what Lewis does and all will be right again.

OK, all that's off me chest now. (Wait, who ate me cereal?!!!)

Such fun!
But how come there's no one jumping on him for "celebrating" his pole as if he'd achieved something?

:wavey:

I criticised him for his handling of it! I was not a fan of either driver's behaviour once they got out of their cars on Saturday.
But how come there's no one jumping on him for "celebrating" his pole as if he'd achieved something?

:wavey:

I criticised him for his handling of it! I was not a fan of either driver's behaviour once they got out of their cars on Saturday.

I did notice your comments, I was speaking more about the "media" since they steer so much of the opinion. I agree it wasn't handled well by either driver but only one gets hounded in the media about it.
Most likely it's better for headlines/a better story. Nothing gets people talking quite like Lewis' behaviour.

Edit: I think the way they've both handled the aftermath also is a contributing factor. Nico has been keen to play down any tension, to talk up the team/brand and generally move on, whereas Lewis hasn't done quite the same. On a similar note, there was an article I read (I think by Brundle - I'll dig it out afterwards) where he compares the two and how Nico seemed totally unfazed by the shitstorm that was going on, whereas it was clear to see that Lewis was emotional. Or something like that. I'll look up the link later. :)
I guess the simplest way I can put it; it was a situation where only one of them had something to lose.
Most likely it's better for headlines/a better story. Nothing gets people talking quite like Lewis' behaviour.

Edit: I think the way they've both handled the aftermath also is a contributing factor. Nico has been keen to play down any tension, to talk up the team/brand and generally move on, whereas Lewis hasn't done quite the same. On a similar note, there was an article I read (I think by Brundle - I'll dig it out afterwards) where he compares the two and how Nico seemed totally unfazed by the shitstorm that was going on, whereas it was clear to see that Lewis was emotional. Or something like that. I'll look up the link later. :)

Nico came out of it with a pole and a win. Perhaps if the shoe were on the other foot, as in, Lewis wiggled his wheel erratically, went down an escape rd, backed out, ruined his teammates pole and celebrated like he'd just done something great...perhaps then he would be less keen to play down tension .

See our F1 related articles too!