FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
On Lewis bad luck side I'd erase this one:

Penalised at Austria in quali by all four wheels off the track

This was his own fault, since the rule was clear from the outset.

The rest seems to be in order. Rosberg prevented a win in Canada, but so was Lewis. Who actually got ahead of Rosberg when his brakes failed...so Rosberg was still looking at 2nd or even 3rd if both Mercs made it to the end.
On Lewis bad luck side I'd erase this one:

Penalised at Austria in quali by all four wheels off the track

This was his own fault, since the rule was clear from the outset.

The rest seems to be in order. Rosberg prevented a win in Canada, but so was Lewis. Who actually got ahead of Rosberg when his brakes failed...so Rosberg was still looking at 2nd or even 3rd if both Mercs made it to the end.

I still feel the wheels off is a valid point....but I'll reword it.

Rules tightened to a disallow all wheels off the track in quali(Austria)

A tules made lenient, for F1 races only allowing all four wheels off the track in quali ( Germany)
Rosberg had pretty significant mechanical issues in Canada which lost him the win - thats another bad luck for him.

Added it in. But he still lucked out over Hamilton with the points haul.
By sagi58
...Lewis. Who actually got ahead of Rosberg when his brakes failed...

Uhmm... isn't that good luck for Hamilton? :confused:

There's a missing comma there, just like Hamilton's brakes, went missing.
By sagi58

There's a missing comma there, just like Hamilton's brakes, went missing.

Technically; but, that would mean I had misquoted the comment! :wavey:

I assume you watched the race to understand immediately what I'm talking about.
By RyRy
Disagree, even with the SC Rosberg should have won. How many times have we seen the lead changed late on in the race between those 2? Whoever is ahead after the final stops has won. Hamilton couldnt pass in Austria or Monaco, Nico couldnt at Bahrain or Spain.

The ONLY advantage Lewis would have had is Nico's super softs would have had 3 laps on them. So Hamiltons would have been 3 laps fresher, however, he would still have had to pass Bottas which even on fresh tyres would NOT have been easy. So Rosberg would likely have pulled a lead before Hamilton even got to P2 and then controlled the final few laps. I find it hard to see any scenario where Lewis wins, barring a Rosberg DNF.

Monaco is an incredibly hard track to overtake on, you really can't say Hamilton couldn't overtake on that because it's insanely hard to do so.

Austria is actually another hard track to overtake on and you've got to remember Hamilton had to fight from 4th to first and sat back a little to make his charge at the end but ultimately he and the team left it too late.

As for Bahrain Hamilton definitely out raced Rosberg, his lead was slashed when the safety car came out and Lewis defended like a god, some of the best defensive driving I've ever seen.

Hamilton would have dispatched Bottas fairly easy because he would have got a new front wing in the pits and then would have got better traction out of turn 2 and three.

Sure we don't know if he would have overtaken Rosberg but basing on his lap times be would have been right on Rosberg gearbox.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Prevented from getting pole at Monaco by waved yellows.

pffft what a pompous statement, racechick. So entitled...prevented from getting pole at monaco, you write it like it was owed to him or something...it would have been much better stated as "prevented from attempting to get pole at monaco". You'd represent hamilton in a better light if you did things like that. Just sayin! At least you didn't have the audacity to say rosberg parked it :thumbup:

If hamilton wasn't so bad at qualifying in monaco, he would have put in a better bank lap or done another lap in the middle of the session
bullocks, even with the safety car rosberg would have won. He had time to make the pitstop and come out in front. Bottas wasn't gaining on rosberg at all through the 50s before he had to defend from hamilton and hamilton took a while to get right on bottas' gearbox. Rosberg would have just managed the gap like he was doing, he wasn't even having to push, he still had gas in the tank so to speak

He was pushing, there was radio calls to him (use the F1 timing app, they let you hear way more than what is aired on TV) telling him to push to create a bigger gap because they wanted to have a free pit stop in hand but he never actually got any faster or created a big enough gap.

If a safety car had came out Hamilton would have overtaken Bottass fairly easy because they would of replaced his broken front wing and then it would of been a straight fight between Hamilton and Rosberg, look back at Bahrain where Rosberg on fresh soft tyres couldn't overtake Hamilton on fresh hard tyres and then look at how Hamilton could keep on the back of Rosberg but Rosberg couldn't keep on the back of Hamilton at other tracks.

They would have more than likely been on the same tyres and we all know Hamilton is the better driver so.... I would say he would have overtaken Rosberg eventually.

Even if they were telling him to push, I still don't think he was pushing hard because he maintained that 19 second gap the last 3rd of the race and bottas tires were, I believe, 3 laps older than his so they were going to go off sooner anyway so I honestly think rosberg knew to just chill so that during the unlikely scenario in which hamilton was behind rosberg, he'd still have life in his tires to push for the last couple of laps to stay ahead.

Since when does anyone count overtaking on track or through pit strategy on merit lucky :confused:
By RyRy
Even if they were telling him to push, I still don't think he was pushing hard because he maintained that 19 second gap the last 3rd of the race and bottas tires were, I believe, 3 laps older than his so they were going to go off sooner anyway so I honestly think rosberg knew to just chill so that during the unlikely scenario in which hamilton was behind rosberg, he'd still have life in his tires to push for the last couple of laps to stay ahead.

He was told several times during the race to increase the gap and never did so, he only just managed to keep that 19 second gap and that was with Bottas pushing because Hamilton was chasing him. under a safety car the three drivers gaps would have been removed and we would of had:

Rosberg on 9 lap old softs (wouldn't of pitted because he would have came out behind Bottas.)
Bottas on 10 lap old softs (wouldn't of pitted because he would of came out behind Hamilton and also potentially came out behind both Mercedes drivers if Rosberg pitted)
Hamilton on fresh super softs to go 18 laps

The super soft tire was 1.5 to 2 seconds a lap faster than the soft tire which would have been a pretty easy pass on Bottas in the first few laps, he would have then more than likely overtaken Rosberg because the fresh grip would still be there and sure his tyres would lose grip and he'd be challenged by Rosberg towards the end but Rosbergs tires would also be struggling and the lap times would be similar.

If hamilton wasn't so bad at qualifying in monaco, he would have put in a better bank lap or done another lap in the middle of the session

Hamilton bad at qualifying... lol. He's one of the best qualifiers going. Their bank laps were pretty damn close so you can't say he was bad, it's a track where normally all lap times are very very close.
By 1Lemon
Fun fact the lead has never changed in a race between these two that wasn't caused by a mechanical issue.
By Ichabod
Fun fact the lead has never changed in a race between these two that wasn't caused by a mechanical issue.

Didn't Lewis beat Rosberg off the line in Bahrain ?
By RyRy

Didn't Lewis beat Rosberg off the line in Bahrain ?

Yeah I think so, he then walked away after the initial battles and was creating quite a gap after the first pits but that got slashed when the safety car came out to create more wheel to wheel close racing

Sent from my Nexus 4

See our F1 related articles too!