FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Stefano was sacked?

You think he fell on his sword? I think the look Luca gave him in Bahrain says he was pushed.

I'm a sure the Bahrain looks were at how poorly the team performed. There was nothing to suggest he was pushed. In fact I think it was a big surprise - and that's why we have Marco heading the team ATM.

I'm also pretty sure they will grab Bob Bell to bolster the technical side under MM.

It reeks of saving face. To me, statement he gave seems manufactured and designed to present him with more dignity than how Whitmarsh was ousted but don't kid yourself, he was fired.

You can read that from a look?

Move over Alan Pease, you've been trumped by our own WB :)

The look was the exclamation point. I've hired dozens of people in my professional career, and I've fired a handful or two. The decision to fire someone is always the harder of the two. However when someone has been working a month or two and you know it's not a good fit, it's much easier, simpler, quicker to let someone go. But if this person is one that you've staked your reputation on, has been with you for years and years, you hired, you put into that place and all of the sudden they say something like this...

"There are special moments that come along in everyone's professional life, when one needs courage to take difficult and very agonizing decisions," said Domenicali. "It is time for a significant change. As the boss, I take responsibility, as I have always done, for our current situation.

"This decision has been taken with the aim of doing something to shake things up and for the good of this group of people that I feel very close to. I hope that very soon, Ferrari will be back where it deserves to be.

"My final words of thanks go to our President, for having always supported me and to all our fans. I only regret that we have been unable to harvest what we worked so hard to sow in recent years."

Well, you didn't hear a peep from Luca pleading for him to stay even though by everyone's admission the most disruptive thing you could do is break that continuity and familiarity with the team mid season. He didn't step aside and spend three or four months bringing the new guy up to speed, he "resigned" is the way not to burn bridges, the way not to call your baby ugly, and the way like I said to allow the guy to leave with some dignity. You perhaps as a Ferrari fan see it differently, but it's clear as day as to me from the outside looking in.
...Well, you didn't hear a peep from Luca pleading for him to stay even though by everyone's admission the most disruptive thing you could do is break that continuity and familiarity with the team mid season. He didn't step aside and spend three or four months bringing the new guy up to speed, he "resigned" is the way not to burn bridges, the way not to call your baby ugly, and the way like I said to allow the guy to leave with some dignity. You perhaps as a Ferrari fan see it differently, but it's clear as day as to me from the outside looking in.

I agree with you, WB, this probably not what Domenicali would have chosen if he'd had that option;
but, let's face it, there was no way that di Montezemolo would consider "begging" in public, because
there is no way that he can allow for another dismal season from Ferrari!

At least, as you pointed out, Domenicali left with his dignity, instead of furtively, in the night, with
his tail between his legs! If he doesn't stay within the Ferrari organization, I'm sure he will have a
great letter of reference to attach to his employment portfolio!
Na, SD resigned and wasn't pushed at this point in time.

WB? for an "lex parsimoniae" exponent you're certain doing a lot of interpretation and look reading to get to your conclusion, especially when there's an un-contradicted and straight-forward explanation in black and white on the table. Still, I will grant you that your story is far more titillating. :hehe:

My story:- If the team didn't win this year SD was gone. Much as I think he's a hugely nice guy, he probably should have gone after AD 2010. I think Luca let his close friendship with SD cloud his decisions there.
...My story:- If the team didn't win this year SD was gone. Much as I think he's a hugely nice guy, he probably should have gone after AD 2010. I think Luca let his close friendship with SD cloud his decisions there.

And, there's the crux of the problem, isn't it? Ferrari (la famiglia) has a tough time making some of the tough decisions, eh?
NOT that I'd want them to do a 180' and fire anyone and everyone if they don't win both titles all the time, either!!
Masterclass in qualifying from Lewis! :cloud9:
I loved Ricciardo's reaction to P2 - ....Aaaalrighty. He should give himself more credit.

I wonder what Vettel's excuse will be today.

Hamilton showing if this isn't his year to make amends then it never will be.
Hmm...good try to the Ferrari team...

Something have been tickling my thought for a bit:

Was there ever a case that a F1 driver is the principal of a team at the same time?

Can you imagine...Fernando Alonso being Ferrari Team Principal?! :yikes:
-----
The season's accomplishments just get more and more impressive.

Methinks Lewis seals his reputation as one of the all-timers, this year. Here's hoping anyway. :hehe:
-----

:yes: some of us knew it right from the start didn't we :wink:
- Amazing performance by Hamilton, insane sector 3 every time and fastest in Q1, Q2 and Q3 after two bad practice sessions and one where they didn't even run...
- Unlucky for Rosberg, he could of matched Hamilton as he was generally faster in Sector 1 if he hadn't gone wrong but it doesn't matter really as he should fly past both the red bulls down the back straight.
- Great driving from Ricciardo, again out performing Vettel. This is surely ruining Vettel's confidence by now, I said in previous threads that being in a slower car unable to beat the mercs will be a confidence knock for Vettel but a confidence boost for Riccardio as hes no longer in a midfield team.
- Good job from Williams, much better in the wet now.
- Unlucky to Raikkonen, he is still struggling with that car.
- Great work from Grosjean, well done getting into Q3.

I'm a little confused about why Ricciardo's engineer said "p2 well done, we'll keep you informed" even tho all drivers had finished their laps
There were still drivers on hot laps when the message was transmitted.

What a stunning job by Grosjean today, putting that Lotus in a pretty nice position. It's a shame that he likely won't have the pace to keep up in the race, but it's a nice reminder of how he has developed since his start in F1. I'm also continuing to be impressed by Ricciardo, not only his pace but also his confidence and maturity. I think he has a good chance of holding on to second place tomorrow. :)
What Nico said about his qualifying.

Nico Rosberg
I had two main problems today. I wasn't totally happy with the feeling on the brakes, which resulted in me locking up and going off on my fast lap on the second to last lap. Then on my final timed lap, I was half a second quicker going into the last corner - but my time delta on my steering wheel display said that I was two tenths slower. So I just took a big risk and spun because I mistakenly thought I had nothing to lose anyway. However, fourth place is not a disaster. I was quick on Friday doing the race preparation so I am still confident that there is everything to play for tomorrow.
I'm not impressed with Sky coverage, they miss a lot ( love Johnny Herbet though)

I'm not sure what he meant, I just lifted the quote . I'm assuming he meant on the pole time. He had been up a fraction sometimes on the middle sector( I think) but Hamilton was blitzing the last sector, so I don't think he'd have had it.

Hamilton has also said that his lap wasn't perfect :eek: , said he lost a bit on turn 10.
Lewis was 0.4 faster than anybody else in S3 alone across all 3 sessions of Quali and fastest in the other 2 as well along with topping the speed traps.

Rosberg was 0.5 up on himself so he would still have got 3rd with that.

See our F1 related articles too!