FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By darwin dali
The World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on 27 June, 2007. The following decisions were taken with regard to Formula One.

The WMSC received a report on the status of current discussions on the FIA Formula One World Championship from 2011. Proposals include:

Engine efficiency
To limit engine power by imposing a maximum energy flow rate. However, there will be few restrictions on the engine cycle, which can include turbo-charging and energy recovery. It is believed that this will lead to a gain of at least 20% in thermal efficiency.

Drag
To allow moving aerodynamic devices, which will reduce drag by over 50% and allow a 40% reduction in the power required to maintain current speeds.

Energy recovery
Energy will be recovered during braking and returned to both front and rear axles when accelerating. The amount of energy returned on each straight will be limited in order to prevent top speeds exceeding the safety criteria for the circuits.

Fuel
The total amount of fuel energy to be consumed during a race will be regulated, encouraging further overall efficiency. The CO2 emitted will be further reduced by the introduction of gasoline which is partly derived from sustainable, non-food bio sources but complies fully with pump fuel legislation.

Overtaking
Formula One cars currently find it very difficult to overtake because of the influence of the car in front. New aerodynamic rules will halve the downforce, and de-sensitise the car to the influence of the wake of the car ahead. It is also proposed to eliminate automatically the downforce deficit of the following car.

Regulations
The best estimates of what these measures will mean in terms of regulations are currently as follows:

1.3-1.5 litre, 4-cylinder engine;
no RPM or boost limit;
energy flow rate to generate 300kW, including energy recovery from the exhaust;
200kW brake energy recovery, front and rear axle;
400-600kJ energy return per straight;
pump-legal bio-fuel;
FIA specified and supplied undertray and possibly other aerodynamic components;
50% 2007 downforce;
adjustable, regulated wings and cooling;
automatic downforce adjustment when following another car;
lap times and top speeds maintained at 2009 levels;
over 50% reduction in fuel consumed.

Costs
A number of measures to constrain costs are proposed, including:

standardisation of components;
homologation of components and assemblies;
material restrictions;
extended life of assemblies;
restrictions on personnel and work at races;
restrictions on the use of certain facilities (eg wind tunnels).

All these measures will be developed into detailed regulations in close collaboration with the teams and manufacturers.

Let the ranting begin...
By vegas
I cant wait to see how all the teams try to integrate all these new technologies on the cars within the short amount of time. I can see the problems already. This is going to be GREAT! :D
By darwin dali
Disappointing that they don't forge ahead with REAL alternative fuel/propulsion such as hydrogen. As it stands now, most technologies mentioned already exist in one form or another in road cars.

Somewhat surprising that the two Japanese manufacturers didn't get their say re. making hybrids an option or mandatory - could you imagine Toyota on pole and winning races on end? :D
By madbrad
I coulda sworn the thread title was MORON ON THE FUTURE OF F1.
By vegas
As it stands now, most technologies mentioned already exist in one form or another in road cars.

Somewhat, but not all packaged together on 1 vehicle, and not close to the wieght of an F1 car.

To increase engine econmoy even greater I dont know why they allow a variable gear transmission on the cars.
By texasmr2
I'm a "boost head" so I would love to see turbocharging return to F1.
By Lewis Hamilton - COME ON!
I coulda sworn the thread title was MORON ON THE FUTURE OF F1.

LOL you need to borrow Darwin Dali's glasses!
By Mikep99
Could this be the Future of F1 :?:

The World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on 27 June, 2007. The following decisions were taken with regard to Formula One.

The WMSC received a report on the status of current discussions on the FIA Formula One World Championship from 2011. Proposals include:

Engine efficiency
To limit engine power by imposing a maximum energy flow rate. However, there will be few restrictions on the engine cycle, which can include turbo-charging and energy recovery. It is believed that this will lead to a gain of at least 20% in thermal efficiency.

Drag
To allow moving aerodynamic devices, which will reduce drag by over 50% and allow a 40% reduction in the power required to maintain current speeds.Almost back to the active car days. So loads of downforce on corners and none on the straights. that will help with overtking I am sure

Energy recovery
Energy will be recovered during braking and returned to both front and rear axles when accelerating. The amount of energy returned on each straight will be limited in order to prevent top speeds exceeding the safety criteria for the circuits.4 wheel drive after all

Fuel
The total amount of fuel energy to be consumed during a race will be regulated, encouraging further overall efficiency. The CO2 emitted will be further reduced by the introduction of gasoline which is partly derived from sustainable, non-food bio sources but complies fully with pump fuel legislation. Why did they just not say 50 Litres of fuel for the whole race, and do what you want to make the car the fastest (Slower=better economy

Overtaking
Formula One cars currently find it very difficult to overtake because of the influence of the car in front. New aerodynamic rules will halve the downforce, and de-sensitise the car to the influence of the wake of the car ahead. It is also proposed to eliminate automatically the downforce deficit of the following car. so does that mean that if they are driving normally they can not have full downforce on corners? now I wounder if that could be abused? oh dear our wings have glitched and we have full downforce all the time

Regulations
The best estimates of what these measures will mean in terms of regulations are currently as follows:

1.3-1.5 litre, 4-cylinder engine; ooh A renault 5 engine
no RPM or boost limit; oooh a renault 5 engine
energy flow rate to generate 300kW, including energy recovery from the exhaust; that is only 402.3 HP
200kW brake energy recovery, front and rear axle; that is only 268.2 HP

400-600kJ energy return per straight; 0.15 - 0.22hp per hour
pump-legal bio-fuel;
FIA specified and supplied undertray and possibly other aerodynamic components;
50% 2007 downforce;
adjustable, regulated wings and cooling;
automatic downforce adjustment when following another car;
lap times and top speeds maintained at 2009 levels;
over 50% reduction in fuel consumed.

Costs
A number of measures to constrain costs are proposed, including:

standardisation of components; Ferrari engines for all
homologation of components and assemblies;
material restrictions;whichever McLaren is relying on the most at the time
extended life of assemblies;Renault 5 engine is still looking good
restrictions on personnel and work at races;Sack the workers not the Chiefs
restrictions on the use of certain facilities (eg wind tunnels). Sack the workers not the Chiefs, apart from the geeks who can now do it on their computers

All these measures will be developed into detailed regulations in close collaboration with the teams and manufacturers.

Let the ranting begin...
why arn't drivers closed in? I would of thought it would be better aerodynamically?

(no I don't want to see drivers closed in by a canopy was just a question)
Could this be the Future of F1 :?:

no thanks :x

Looks like a Batmobile too.
By f1ea
And what about the engine freeze? If they plan to bring all these regulations, then for sure there will have to be engine development... :?:?
I'm guessing this is just the 'overall trend' that F1 will follow in the next 10 yrs.

Looks like the FIA guys have been playing too much Super Mario Kart and Star Wars:
"super boost: engage!"
"X- wings: attack possition!"
:roll:
By Mikep99
Those pictures were nothing official. I think they were just a design exercise by some graphics group.

See our F1 related articles too!