FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I bet "honorable" extremely wealthy Japanese didn't have to fall on their sword.

Always the class warrior. I think they did, out of a sense of honor that was ingrained in them.

all well and good if everyone had the same level of "engrainment" Bernie must have been out that day. no one deserves to die for having a moment of weakness, he wasn't molesting babies and didn't kill anyone. Could have been a moment of poor decision making or he could have been a lifelong prick, but death is not a punishment for the crime he committed.
BBC Breaking News
Suspect in theft of Michael Schumacher's medical files found hanged in his cell in Zurich

Good on him.

let's put things into perspective... come now. :rolleyes:

Yes, the perspective is that a low life met a low end. Quite in alignment me thinks.

I'd be okay with that if the rule was applied equally amongst all levels of society, but that's not necessarily the case is it?

It's a start. In fact, it was the honorable thing to do, right with the Japanese way of Seppuku,

Wow DD - you are pretty level headed usually, but I think you've lost perspective.

He's been hanging out in the MiaScuderia lounge. :whip:
I bet "honorable" extremely wealthy Japanese didn't have to fall on their sword.

Always the class warrior. I think they did, out of a sense of honor that was ingrained in them.

all well and good if everyone had the same level of "engrainment" Bernie must have been out that day. no one deserves to die for having a moment of weakness, he wasn't molesting babies and didn't kill anyone. Could have been a moment of poor decision making or he could have been a lifelong prick, but death is not a punishment for the crime he committed.

Uh hello, it was his choice - he wasn't put to death for a crime. Nobody is advocating that. Let's not get into a death penalty discussion here - nothing to do with that.

:yes:

Could've just been a prick who saw the $$$

I think the fact he has topped himself shows he knew the error of his ways, and felt unbearable guilt over it. As you say, I think a moment of weakness he could never take back.

Uh hello, it was his choice - he wasn't put to death for a crime. Nobody is advocating that. Let's not get into a death penalty discussion here - nothing to do with that.

It wasn't about the death penalty, it was about your original comment of "good on him" for killing himself. It was, more than a bit harsh.

It wasn't about the death penalty, it was about your original comment of "good on him" for killing himself. It was, more than a bit harsh.

but death is not a punishment for the crime he committed.

This is awfully close to a discussion about death penalty, wouldn't you think? Again, I said nothing about him deserving death as punishment for the crime - you brought it up.

but death is not a punishment for the crime he committed.

This is awfully close to a discussion about death penalty, wouldn't you think? Again, I said nothing about him deserving death as punishment for the crime - you brought it up.

Your argument that society delivering the punishment, not the state doesn't change the level of his deadness.
To be fair I sort of agree with DD on this. Even if the initial statement was a bit blunt.

Bloke knew he had done wrong. Felt the guilt and could not live with himself over it. He choose to end his life. No one did it for him. In fact think how much money and people of the jury, judges, witnesses etc time of there life that would of been spent on this case. This free time can now lead to more constructive matters. So some good has come out of it.

Sent using NCC-1701
The dude decided his own penalty, I don't see what the big deal is about.

If it was harsh or not, if the guy determines his own (final) destiny who is anyone else to argue.
I do have an issue with what happened here. Personally I think that the only people who should be held in cells prior to trial are either:

- Those who have committed a violent offence
- Those who are a risk to the public
- Those who are a risk to specific people such as victims and witnesses related to the potential case
- Those who may not fall into that category but have a history of attempting to evade justice

The reasons that I believe this are varied, however one is because there has been plenty of psychological research into the effects that even short term imprisonment can have on a person, guilty or not; another is that at that stage where a person is either simply undergoing questioning, or even having been arrested, they are still only an accused who is not yet proven to be guilty of a crime. They may be guilty, or they may not.

We simply cannot at this point draw any inference of guilt, it could just as well be the effects of imprisonment along with his own perception that his career may have been finished and reputation forever tarnished regardless of the eventual outcome.

Every other answer to this issue above is far too simplistic.
60,000 Swiss Francs, that's what the suspect that tried to sell the documents was looking for...

Person mid gender change tries to embezzle money to finish the operative process. Sees an opportunity and makes a rash spontaneous decision. In the process of trying to sell the documents, they're turned in the the authorities by a revengeful ex lover and an arrest is made. The person is held in a Swiss jail where weeks later is found dead. A subsequent investigation points to a mentally unstable Schumacher fan having murdered the suspect and attempting to cover it up as a suicide.

PM me for purchase of the movie rights.
60,000 Swiss Francs, that's what the suspect that tried to sell the documents was looking for...

Person mid gender change tries to embezzle money to finish the operative process. Sees an opportunity and makes a rash spontaneous decision. In the process of trying to sell the documents, they're turned in the the authorities by a revengeful ex lover and an arrest is made. The person is held in a Swiss jail where weeks later is found dead. A subsequent investigation points to a mentally unstable Schumacher fan having murdered the suspect and attempting to cover it up as a suicide.

PM me for purchase of the movie rights.

or it was just a simple case of the Schumacher clan taking care of business. :wink:
Last edited by overboost on 07 Aug 14, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
How much is 60000 Swiss francs worth?

Sent using NCC-1701

If you ask a Swiss that, and then ask a dude from Cambodia.....

See our F1 related articles too!