FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

For all your expert predictions
luckily this weekend i forgot to place bets, since I would have placed the (usually) surefire Lewis beats Jenson bet, and probably the Vettel/Alonso/Raikkonen podium bet.

I had forgotten about betting, and this weekend was the first time in about 5/6 races that Ive placed bets. And I pick those two!

:banghead:
No updates here yet but at least on the driver's front I did very well with Grosjean, Perez, Ricciardo and Di Resta all having solid finishes with lots of positions gained. Grosjean will be a big points scorer for whomever had him! My only blemish is Webber's retirement which will hurt the team points quite a bit.

My usual bet of Lewis to beat Button is the gift that keeps on giving. :hehe:
I'm on the way up. Two highest-point weeks in a row. It's amazing how well things work when your drivers finish the damn races.

I don't know if I can catch carbore with three races left, but I'm hoping for #2 again.
As usual i created a private league for us lot, it's called "Forumula1 Forum League" and the password is "v8power".

Is the password going to be v6power next year?
As usual i created a private league for us lot, it's called "Forumula1 Forum League" and the password is "v8power".

Is the password going to be v6power next year?

TurboSixEnergyRecoveryUnit
speaking of next year... anyone else think maybe we should try a different league?

Since Scotty isn't around as much, I nominate you to look into other fantasy leagues. This one was okay, and from what I recall Scotty saying it was one of the "better ones" out there. But this year didn't really show any improvement, even though they came asking for recommendations/feedback.

The model is flawed in a lot of ways, which is acceptable since everyone plays by the same rules but it's really easy to just not get motivated to make changes since half the time it's next to impossible to move things about. The price to swap components is ridiculously high and unnecessary IMO, and you take a huge hit when there's a DNF from a driver which is again unnecessary, even taking away Q points earned which I always thought was pointless.

The site is free, so you get what you pay for, but they're unresponsive to problems and the updates take forever which takes away a lot of the fun of the league to begin with. I bet that 3/4 of the people that signed up don't even bother to manage it race to race.
I rarely go on on it because it takes too long to get on and find things. I've just been on now to place the customary bet for Lewis to been Button but the site says you can't place bets on a race weekend. Well it isn't a race weekend it's Monday. I'll probably forget to do it now. I'm about last any way so it doesn't really matter. :D
yeah RC, that's part of the problem. They haven't updated after Abu Dhabi yet.

And WB, I agree completely. It is free, so I don't feel like we're in much of a position to request changes or complain when updates are delayed. But I have to imagine there are better systems out there, even free. I'll take a look around and see what I can find.
I've taken a look at a bunch of other fantasy F1 sites (about a dozen), and found that ours is actually pretty unique for a few reasons: 1) values of assets (drivers, contractors, and engines) are updated after each race; 2) you are allowed one team change per race; and 3) you get income through your team's performance and bets.

Regarding #1, MOST sites set asset values at the beginning of the season and just leave them. I don't care for this since I think it would cause everyone to eventually converge on roughly the same team. For example, if a driver is overvalued at the beginning (like Button), everyone will dump them quickly, and if another is undervalued (Rosberg or Grosjean), everyone will pick them up.

Regarding #2, other sites either allow a small number of changes for the whole season (5-7 or so), or an unlimited number of changes. I don't really care for this either since the former would take the fun out of updating your team every race, and the latter would just make it too easy. I think the 1 change per race is a nice middle ground.

Regarding #3, in combination with #1 and #2, it makes it pretty fun to build your team throughout the year since you're not stuck with the initial bank of $100M (or whatever the site chooses). If your team does well or you bet well, you'll get more money to improve your team. Every other site I found limits your team choices to the initial money pool allotted at the beginning of the season.

All that being said, I think this site is the closest to our current one:

http://www.udt.co.za/f1fantasy/page/game_info.html
  • Like our current fantasy site, the asset values do change throughout the season, but they only get updated every three races, so the knee-jerk value changes after a driver DNF should be limited.
  • The scoring system looks very similar to our current one.
  • Instead of one transfer per race, you get 30 total transfers, limited to 3 per race. That works out to roughly 1.5 transfers per race, but you can use up to three if you need to change more assets (like you might want to at the beginning of the season).
  • Unlike our current site, there is NO income other than the changes in value of your team assets. You get no race income, and there is no betting.
  • Instead of a "Talent" driver, you choose a team "Captain" that earns double points, which can be anyone on your team, regardless of value.

I just registered to try out the system, and it seems nice. I'll check in and play around with again after the USGP. I'd be curious to hear what everyone else thinks too.
Today would have been a good bet for the 12/1 rookie to score a point in the fantasy game. I missed my shot opting instead last week to go for the usual Lewis to beat Button and for the Austin race, Perez to beat Button as well.

See our F1 related articles too!