FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By darwin dali
That's just the picture of a McLaren....with a different engine hiding underneath. I wonder if they will change their livery back to the red/white for 2015? That would really shake it up in sponsors eyes and a fresh throwback to the legendary days. I really think they should ditch the black/silver and head back to glory days.

Marlboro? Really?
By Hammer278
You do realize Marlboro is still sponsoring Ferrari up till today?

McLaren switched to black/white due to the West/Mercedes partnership but I wonder if they really want to go back to 'orange' instead of missing this opportunity with the public/sponsors.
By darwin dali

Exactly, so WTF are you getting all wet about?
By Hammer278

WTF is your problem? I'm suggesting a livery McLaren could go back to which would be a fresh start for them and Honda together, no one's getting 'wet' on my end. If there was something I said wrong or could not happen, just correct me and stop wasting time.
By darwin dali

WTF is your problem? I'm suggesting a livery McLaren could go back to which would be a fresh start for them and Honda together, no one's getting 'wet' on my end. If there was something I said wrong or could not happen, just correct me and stop wasting time.

Why would Marlboro sponsor McLaren? So, there's zero possibility that McLaren goes back to a Marlboro livery.
By Hammer278

Get it? Marlboro can suck b@llz. :D
By racechick
It was thought Mclaren would announce its driver line up today but they haven't. Neither current driver has and a stand out season, though both are still in the frame, as is Vandoorne. ( the latter is managed by the same people as manage Button, which adds a little spice to things). Dennis had said the delay is because they want to get it right. They don't just want to win, they want to dominate. In the background to this driver decision that needs making, Dennis is involved in buying out shareholders , which he hasn't done yet, and has just paid 30 mil to extend the buyout deadline until January. So lots going on at McLaren!!

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2014/12/d ... n-drivers/
By stonemonkey
Would be good to see McLaren get back on track but Honda's going to have to come up with something really special for McLaren to dominate.
By What's Burning?
Would be good to see McLaren get back on track but Honda's going to have to come up with something really special for McLaren to dominate.

I don't think anything that special is required given the state of the Renault and Ferrari PUs. I've actually got all the confidence in the world that Honda will have the second best engine package next year. As far as McLaren goes their issues were with the chassis and getting the car to work with the reduced aero, they had a Mercedes engine and that didn't help them as much as it helped Williams.
By stonemonkey

I don't think anything that special is required given the state of the Renault and Ferrari PUs. I've actually got all the confidence in the world that Honda will have the second best engine package next year. As far as McLaren goes their issues were with the chassis and getting the car to work with the reduced aero, they had a Mercedes engine and that didn't help them as much as it helped Williams.

Not saying it's out of the question that they could be competing at the front end, domination is a step or two beyond that though.
By LRW
I'm sure they said on the Sky F1 show on Friday that an announcement would be made on Wednesday (3rd). But I can't confirmation anywhere.
By CookinFlat6
I think they have a board meeting then. However we could be waiting till just before the first Winter test, maybe even till just before the beginning of the season. They could use Van Doorne for the tests - would be a great way to give him laps. If Alonso is all signed up, then why make any announcement in December, why not wait till Feb, maybe Lewis wont resign for Merc or maybe Ferrari will have paid Seb off by then, best to stay flexible
By LRW
Last Friday, again on the F1 Show on Sky, Eric said:

There is no problem, it is just taking the time to consider what is good for McLaren. Unfortunately I cannot give you any tips as I do not know. No decision has been taken yet.

I know there are a lot of fans, Jenson’s fans, Kevin’s fans, other drivers’ fans and hopefully some McLaren fans, but it is just about taking the right decision for the future, not only for next year but also for the next years.

There is nothing wrong? They are "just taking the time to consider what is good for McLaren"? What other else is there to consider? They know the drivers they have available. They know the +ve and -ve for each driver and the implications that would have for the team and for brand McLaren.

Why don't they just admit: "we cant agree".
By myownalias
Why don't they just admit: "we cant agree".

I agree! I believe Ron Dennis wants to keep Kevin as a young raw talent while the Saudi investors want Jenson because he is infinitely more marketable.

See our F1 related articles too!