FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
By racechick
something's fishy... that would create nothing but a tremendous amount of drag or at the very least a huge disruption in airflow over the top of the car! :yikes: fishy, or revolutionary.

Perhaps theyve got secret hidden little jets in there!! :yikes:
By LRW
something's fishy... that would create nothing but a tremendous amount of drag or at the very least a huge disruption in airflow over the top of the car! :yikes: fishy, or revolutionary.

..... or totally fake...?
By stonemonkey

I imagine all the others rushing off and making some new cfd models now.
By bud
I posted this quote from Newey in the other thread but it can be here too as its on topic.

The restriction nose height which is a maximum height just in front of the front bulkhead hasn't really changed the chassis shape very much. We've kept more or less the same chassis shape, but had to drop the nose just in front of the front bulkhead, which, in common with many other teams, has led us to I think I'd probably say a slightly ugly looking nose. We've tried to style it as best we can, but it's not a feature you would choose to put in were it not for the regulation.

In my opinion they have used the bump as a form of wing but its nothing the other teams wouldn't have thought about I am sure. So i don't see others copying this.
By stonemonkey
I posted this quote from Newey in the other thread but it can be here too as its on topic.

The restriction nose height which is a maximum height just in front of the front bulkhead hasn't really changed the chassis shape very much. We've kept more or less the same chassis shape, but had to drop the nose just in front of the front bulkhead, which, in common with many other teams, has led us to I think I'd probably say a slightly ugly looking nose. We've tried to style it as best we can, but it's not a feature you would choose to put in were it not for the regulation.

In my opinion they have used the bump as a form of wing but its nothing the other teams wouldn't have thought about I am sure. So i don't see others copying this.

I dunno, a wing needs airflow both over and under and it doesn't look like there's any gap for air to flow through. I can only think that it might be something that affects the airflow over the opening of the cockpit.
By stonemonkey
Redbull stole the idea from Ferrari.... er, I mean Fiat.

By icarus
Hey guys, new here, just had to post something after seeing those god awful stepped noses.
I'm not a professional but looks like McLaren might have a slight aero advantage in terms of reduced drag due to a reduced frontal area and smooter air flow. After all Newey said he wouldn't have included it if he didn't have to. One thing I do wonder about the McLaren, is how it will ride over the bumps and curbs. Reduced ride/chassis height might equate to reduced suspension travel.
By stonemonkey
Hey guys, new here, just had to post something after seeing those god awful stepped noses.
I'm not a professional but looks like McLaren might have a slight aero advantage in terms of reduced drag due to a reduced frontal area and smooter air flow. After all Newey said he wouldn't have included it if he didn't have to. One thing I do wonder about the McLaren, is how it will ride over the bumps and curbs. Reduced ride/chassis height might equate to reduced suspension travel.

Hi, welcome.

The lower nose doesn't really mean that the underside of the wing or the floor of the car is lower than on other cars and since it's an evolution of previous cars I think they'll have the suspension working pretty well as it has the past couple of years though I think in 2009 it was pretty bad on bumpy tracks. The car I'm interested in seeing with respect to front suspension is the Ferrari since they've managed to change to pull rods at the front while keeping the nose high.
By scotty
Too much attention on the noses now (although i can see why), it's all about the impact on the rear end and rear downforce, to keep those Pirelli rear tyres working. That was the single biggest performance differentiator last season and Red Bull's supreme rear downforce basically single handedly made that car so dominant. As Pirelli have made the tyres even softer it's even more important this season...

Given that, i can see why McLaren arrived at their solution. Nothing to do with CoG all that. Downforce and aero efficency are absolutely king. Last year their LJ pods used air going over the top of the main chassis area (rather than sending air under the nose and around the sidepods like most teams did) to create rear downforce. Their new front end is simply a continuation of that principle, i would expect (it certainly appears that way). I believe the huge sidepod inlets on the McLaren point towards internal aerodynamics feeding air to the rear of the car rather than all being for cooling.

That said i am intruiged by what Sauber and Red Bull are trying to achieve with the holes on their noses, especially Sauber (i believe Red Bull will be simply feeding air coming in there elsewhere on the car).
By andrew

I dunno, a wing needs airflow both over and under and it doesn't look like there's any gap for air to flow through. I can only think that it might be something that affects the airflow over the opening of the cockpit.

Looks like a vent to me:

See our F1 related articles too!