FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

2 WDCS in different teams and in different regulatory epochs is worth more than 5 in a row with the same team, and the same gelded teammate and basically the same car

However I dont think it would hurt to get a 4 in a row at Merc (1 yr left on this deal plus 2 on next) before going to revive Mclaren or settling for the 100mill a year pay cheqiue at VW :D
Congrats to Lewis winning the WDC 2014 :clap: The right driver won the championship IMO.

Well said frontrunner :thumbup:

Its hard to argue with 11-5 wins

But its all about points and dnfs even themselves out - so Lewis winning by almost 3 straight wins or by almost 10 races of 1-2 finishes - the best driver won for sure and he was the right one
11 wins. Being on pedantic mode, think about his lost chances in qualifying in Germany (Hungary might not count since the front runners got screwed), Spa, and Melbourne.

Rosberg 'earned' his win in Monaco with a cunning ploy (bending the rules is part of the game), earned it in Austria by not making mistakes in qualifying, and earned it in Brazil by not wetting his diapers there. Melbourne and Germany were gift wrapped.
By LRW
Another thing that I think says somehting about Lewis:

He said on sky last night, that he is going to fight hard with Mercedes to KEEP #44 on his car next year.

When one of the sky pundits then said "dont you want to drive round all season with #1 on your car?", to which his reply was "No. #1 means nothing to me. #44 is my number. Ive won my prevvious championships with #44. Im #44"*

I think that shows the type of guy he is - doesnt need to show of by having #1 - he shows off by driving like a monster.

I assume he says he will fight Mercedes because he thinks they will want #1 on the car for marketing purposes?

*I have of course paraphrased - but the sentiment is there.
Yeah, heard about that one and I was surprised too. He won it with #22 in 2008 didn't he?
By LRW
Yeah, heard about that one and I was surprised too. He won it with #22 in 2008 didn't he?

Well I did question that in my head - but maybe he was talking pre-F1 championships?. Or maybe I misunderstood. I'll have to try to dig out a clip?
Lewis always has wanted to be recognised for what he does and how he does it, that's very important to him . He doesn't want gifts and he doesn't want favours, he's been clear all along about this. He just wants equality. i hope he keeps his 44, that's him, that's Lewis. And maybe Mercedes marketing department will realise that stating the obvious isn't necessary. He is number one whatever is written on the car.
He definatly had it pre F1 when you were allowed to chose your own number. in 2008 he had to have what the FIA gave and since McLaren were disqualified in 2007 that meant he got 22.
Off the top of my head, I think thats another remarkable record that Lewis holds - which is interesting

the driver to win WDCs with the biggest numbers in history - most WDCS will be won by guys in car 1,2,3,4 etc, never by a back grid team the previous year, or a Dqed team the previous year, so one would assume Lewis sticks out amongst the WDCS by the numbers he had on his car being 22 and 44
By sagi58
:rofl: "remarkable record"? That's a stretch, ever for you!!

I shouldn't have to remind you, of all people, that this is the first year,
since 1996 (yes, I googled it) that drivers picked numbers which they will keep for the rest
of their F1 careers. Hamilton chose the #44, unlike those previous WDC winners.

Record? More like an interesting fact, if you're a fan.
Off the top of my head, I think thats another remarkable record that Lewis holds - which is interesting

the driver to win WDCs with the biggest numbers in history - most WDCS will be won by guys in car 1,2,3,4 etc, never by a back grid team the previous year, or a Dqed team the previous year, so one would assume Lewis sticks out amongst the WDCS by the numbers he had on his car being 22 and 44

Question is now will Lewis take on the number #1 or stay with #44, I assume its optional, just like Moto GP.
He wants 44 Frontrunner. It's whether Mercedes are happy with that.
Another thing that I think says somehting about Lewis:

He said on sky last night, that he is going to fight hard with Mercedes to KEEP #44 on his car next year.

When one of the sky pundits then said "dont you want to drive round all season with #1 on your car?", to which his reply was "No. #1 means nothing to me. #44 is my number. Ive won my prevvious championships with #44. Im #44"*

I think that shows the type of guy he is - doesnt need to show of by having #1 - he shows off by driving like a monster.

I assume he says he will fight Mercedes because he thinks they will want #1 on the car for marketing purposes?

*I have of course paraphrased - but the sentiment is there.

I knew that would be the case.

In a related story, Vettel asked if he could keep it as long as Hamilton didn't want to use it.
i suspect Seb actually choose number 5 knowing he was going to Ferrari and would be red 5, thats a seriously cerebral driver planning ahead - shame he got b!tch slapped by Ricc through the season whilst working out his records and what looks good with what

See our F1 related articles too!