FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By sagi58
It will result in the extinction of Vettel fans, that's for sure. Already we are down to almost zero (a couple of them popping up like bunnies time to time) in this forum. :hehe:

How is that even a good thing? Isn't it an embarrassment that people don't post for fear of being ridiculed?
This isn't the 4Hamula1 Forum, now is it? :banghead:
By sagi58
...Lewis and his 2 WDCs for 2 diferent teams...

He has joined an elite group, including:
Juan Manuel Fangio (Ferrari / Mercedes)
Graham Hill (BRM / Lotus)
Jackie Stewart (Matra / Tyrrell)
Emerson Fittipaldi (Lotus / McLaren)
Niki Lauda (Ferrari / McLaren)
the list goes on and on and on...

MS?
He's in good company, not even Senna is on that list of elite drivers, certainly no one on the current grid.
By sagi58

MS?

Definitely! I chose not to list him so as to not be accused of taking advantage
of the opportunity to post something positive about Schumi / Ferrari!! :thumbup:
I love this story

It was in late 2012 that Lauda was trying to convince the British driver Lewis Hamilton, now the 2014 world champion, to quit McLaren and join the burgeoning Mercedes team.

“McLaren wanted to keep him and had offered him a contract,” Lauda told Austrian radio O3 this week. “So I asked if I could see him the next day. That was the day of the race on Sunday.”

The triple world champion is referring to Singapore 2012, where Hamilton was driving one of the best cars in the field, and on Sunday was cruising to the win, “Before the race I said that I needed to watch Lewis get off the (drivers’ parade) truck and look in his eyes.

“I had sent him a text message in the morning asking if he wanted to come to us or not, but he didn’t even look at me. He ignored me and walked straight past. I thought ‘Oh dear’,” Lauda admitted.

Then in the race, Hamilton was easily leading when Lauda, standing in the paddock, resorted to a plea for divine intervention, “I said to myself ‘Dear god, if you want to help me just once, then please let the McLaren break down now’. I thought it twice and then bang!”

“I immediately bombarded Lewis with text messages. Three weeks later, we signed the contracts,” Lauda beamed. “This was one of the important pieces in the puzzle of why we were so successful this year.” (GMM)

Especially as the McLaren had a Merc engine at the time :hehe:
That's quite a story! Divine intervention indeed. That some of Lewis big frustrations and irritatioms of 2012 led him to being world champin in 2014. I bet Lewis is thanking his lucky stars his car did break down that day, or more likely thanking his God.

Lewis says he had already been sold the dream by Brawn. But I guess it's little things on which you finally decide to leave one dream behind and follow another.

It shows also how much Mercedes were pursuing Lewis. It wasn't just a case of Lewis came knocking at the door and Mercedes deciding to let Schumacher go....... They REALLY wanted Lewis.
They knew that the fastest way to evolve the fastest car was Lewis who is a dream for engineers like Paddy, and all tech staff who can be creative knowing the driver will be able to use anything they make

Unlike more needy drivers like MS, who are only good at one aspect, like designing ERS components,or using a bespoke tyre

I think the real strength of Ross was to see through the MS myth and tyre munching and to let him go and use engineers for the PU instead
They knew that the fastest way to evolve the fastest car was Lewis who is a dream for engineers like Paddy, and all tech staff who can be creative knowing the driver will be able to use anything they make

Unlike more needy drivers like MS, who are only good at one aspect, like designing ERS components,or using a bespoke tyre

I think the real strength of Ross was to see through the MS myth and tyre munching and to let him go and use engineers for the PU instead

So we've established that Mercedes really wanted Hamilton and it's plain to see that they kept Rosberg over Schumacher. Just the facts ma'am.
Ross did admit at least once in public that the scope for development with MS as an important star driver was stunted and that they could start moving forward only after MS agreed to leave. That's why they had to get Lewis first and before 2013 to help push for 2014

Oh wel, it's easy now to read what the protagonists say about the events and to see that in hindsight we were right

There may be some who don't agree with Ross and Niki, and maybe know something those 2 don't know
I remember Twitmarsh's words... "it's not wise to make a big decision after a bad race". :hehe:

Ok bro thx for the fortune cookie.
Twatrash also said 'if he wants to win he should stay with us' :yikes:
it just goes to show how loyal Lewis really was to McLaren, even after Martin Sh!tprat sabotaged his WDC chances to help equalise jenson with Lewis, lewis still stayed, and it was only after Singapore that he decided to leave. we were screaming at him to go before that. But even when Whetcrack was promising to kiss Jenson on both cheeks and inbetween if he won a race and after all the 'but lets talk about Jenson' Lewis still gave Whiplash benefit of doubt.
We should be grateful to Niki for his persistence in overcoming Lewis' loyalty, but we should thank Wettrash as well, nah I am sure Ron has thanked Sh!tetwat well enough :hehe:

Lewis Hamilton and his Mercedes team collected their Formula 1 World Championship trophies during Friday's FIA Prize Giving Gala in Qatar.

Hamilton claimed 11 victories and five further podiums en route to this year's crown, adding to the title he achieved with McLaren back in 2008.
The Briton arrived on stage at the Katara Cultural Village at the wheel of his F1 W05 Hybrid, before being greeted by FIA President Jean Todt.

"It's an incredible moment for me, and I feel very, very privileged to be up here," commented Hamilton, after receiving a standing ovation from the crowd. Lewis added, "mo' trophies mo' problems".

Hamilton's team-mate, Nico Rosberg, and Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo also picked up their trophies for finishing second and third respectively.
Mercedes boss Toto Wolff was on hand to collect the Constructors' trophy, which the outfit had secured with three rounds to spare.

See our F1 related articles too!