FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Lewis's 'snapchat' is the source of much of the stuff that ends up in the tabloids and media.

Interesting that while Hamilton was raving in Miami Rosberg went directly from Sochi to the Mercedes factory. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Last edited by overboost on 07 May 16, 23:04, edited 3 times in total.
By sagi58
I have to say I really couldn't care less about what Lewis does off the track...
we have no right to condemn him for his lifestyle.

It seems to be a modern day phenomenon that so many celebrities post anything and everything they do online.
Personally, like you, I could care less; but, it would seem we are in the minority!

Having said that, just by virtue of opening his life up to the public, he is inviting comments, good and bad.
As "they" say in Latin Image

p.s. Yes, I do know the literal translation of the phrase and in spite of him not buying anything literally,
he is theoretically "buying" attention in offering up his life in pictures and video recordings.
Lewis is considering what to do with his life if he is no longer winning in F1.

""The goal in racing is to excel in every opportunity that I have," he said. "I still want to win championships, I still want to win races, I don't know why I still have the drive to do those things because I've had quite a few of them, but that's what I love doing so I will continue to do it while I love it and not just to be in it, I want to win it. "I'm not here to just participate, I never have, never will be.

"In the other areas I just want try as many different things as I can. There's so much that I want to do and there's not enough time, for sure I love spending time doing my music, I love spending time with family and friends, I love the fashion stuff, I love kids so I really want to work more with kids, I want to work more with helping animals.""

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/154 ... ace-f1-win
Last edited by overboost on 09 May 16, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
He's not a very private person I'd say.
But I agree with the general sentiment MOA.

Regardless of his public lifestyle, which seems to be par for the course these days, many millennials feel the need to post all their activities to social media, Lewis falls into that category, but ultimately he is still a private citizen, the only reason all this snap chatting is getting more attention is because it has coincided with his perceived slump in form on track.

Lewis is doing what I did when I was younger (without the jet-set lifestyle), I went out and partied with my friends and went back to work the next day (usually with a hangover), Lewis just does it in the public eye, even if he didn't snapchat his exploits, I'm sure the tabloid press would be hounding him for a story.
By sagi58
... if he didn't snapchat his exploits, I'm sure the tabloid press would be hounding him for a story.

That's just it, isn't it? Well, it is for me! Just because he does "snapchat his exploits",
he opens himself up to public comments, good and bad, regardless of his racing.
Yes and Mercedes love it as it gets their brand exposure, we know Lewis is the biggest part of their marketing machine in F1, Rosberg definitely does not gain the team headlines with his boring go home to his family after the race lifestyle.
By sagi58
Honestly? I don't equate Hamilton or his lifestyle with Mercedes.
Not really sure why, other than he originally was at McLaren?

You're not a Lewis Hamilton fan, his fans will make the connection and technically, LH has been with Mercedes since he joined F1, remember that McLaren were Mercedes powered.
By sagi58

You're not a Lewis Hamilton fan, his fans will make the connection and technically, LH has been with Mercedes since he joined F1, remember that McLaren were Mercedes powered.

You're right, technically, they are.
But, if a brand is to truly be successful, it shouldn't be just about the "fans".
Very few celebrities reach that level of recognition, for example, when you
say Ferrari, you "see" Schumi and vice versa, even if you don't follow F1.
Looking at the Mercedes corporate website Hamilton isn't being used to sell or market Merc's cars. Other than race wrap ups in the sports section and an article from Austin 2015 when he clinched the title there isn't much mention at all of Hamilton. In fact it is Pascal Wehrlein who is featured.

I think Hamilton's 'brand' is more about Lewis wanting personal fame in the fashion or music arenas rather than being of use to a company like Mercedes.

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/
Last edited by overboost on 14 May 16, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
I think Mercedes knew Lewis' 'party' tendencies and popularity with the younger fans, a market where Mercedes have struggled for market share traditionally.
Merc are getting brand exposure from F1 by winning every fortnight. It has little to do with the drivers who could be virtually anyone as the W07, W06, W05 have had no competition. I remember clearly Mercedes after winning the championship would market the car as the winner and even hashtagged Hamilton as the "#WO5LD CHAMPION"and a big picture of the car with the hashtag on their website.

With Hamilton now an old veteran they are using the young gun Pascal Wehrlein on their corporate website this month to attract any potential young buyers.
Last edited by overboost on 17 May 16, 00:39, edited 1 time in total.

By sagi58
I think Mercedes knew Lewis' 'party' tendencies and popularity with the younger fans, a market where Mercedes have struggled for market share traditionally.

That's too true; however, it's not the younger fans who can actually afford their cars.

p.s. does Hamilton actually drive a Mercedes, aside from every two weeks in F1?

See our F1 related articles too!