FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Formula One never learns does it?

The sport continues to shoot itself in the foot, time and time again. It's dirty laundry is forever being played out in public.

There are many factors as to why I have been silent on the Renault situation, and I will try to explain some of this here in this message.

First of all I must make clear that despite having a soft spot for the Renault team I am not a deluded lamb (or whatever people refer to them as). I was against Renault only earlier this year when they backed FOTA's proposals for a breakaway, and I will continue to agree and disagree with the team in future - if they have a future that is.

In saying that, I will wait until the verdict is released before I make up my mind. If they are found guilty and the team sadly decide to depart from the sport, then my affiliation or love-affair with Formula One will continue. For I am not a fan of any select team or driver in direct comparison to the sport itself. Formula One and motor racing in general is what I really care about and I will always hold the sport above any entity of it.

Too many people are quick to point the finger in this situation without knowing the full facts. The FIA have never learned from the spy-gate saga and I think it is disgraceful for the Governing body to directly (or indirectly) sponsor this witch hunt against some of Formula One's better known team figures.

They did it with Lie-gate and that resulted in the departure of Ron Dennis and to me this could easily be a ploy to see the removal of both Symonds and Briatore. I also think that people are foolish to let their negative views on Briatore effect their judgement.

The leaking of information is a disgrace. Yes some of you may think that the Fans have a right to know and of course they do AFTER THE VERDICT IS GIVEN. The FIA have let the prosecution's evidence slip through the net and it has ruined any chance of an adequate defence. That surely is not justice? It does nothing but make up people's minds before the case even begins.

The Piquets should also not be allowed to make so many outlandish comments and accusations. These should be saved for the hearing, but like savages the Formula One media and fans allow the practice of leaks and scandals to continue to fester. If this was ANY OTHER legal case then the Piquets would not be allowed to play whistle-blower to the media and keep their immunity.

And so onto the incident itself. Alot of information has come to light as of late and whether or not it is true remains for the courts to decide, a week today.

Is it possible for Renault and Piquet Jnr to have pulled this off? The timing seems too perfect, but yes it is very much possible

Again even though it will come down to Piquet's word against those of Flavio and Symonds, the telemetry and radio traffic will also be of usefulness.

Whatever evidence is shown from both sides, i'm sure that the right verdict will be given - be it guilty or not guilty. Furthermore the proper penalty will hopefully be applied, no matter how harsh it seems.

If this results in Renault leaving the sport, then it will be a sad day for Formula One. Another manufacturer will leave and although i'm not the biggest fan of manufacturer having a large influence, the possiblity of a future Renault engine supply also goes up in smoke and standardisation begins to come on the radar once more. I can see it now Knee jerk reaction after knee jerk reaction.

What with Mercedes' growing influence, these times are not golden for Formula One, nor is the allegations directed at the Renault team. It is best that such a situation is put to bed and that measures are taken to prevent the need for such an allegation to happen again.

Yes rules will continue to be broken, and scandals will continue to appear - but the FIA, the F1 teams, media and even fans do not do the sport any favours by jumping the gun and finger pointing.

One final thought: This idea that Alonso must be punished because of his previous History with McLaren. What a ridiculous thing to say, even if it is only meant half-heartedly.

Alonso got enough punishment: his reputation was forever tarnished and he was fed to some of Formula One's vultures.

To hit a driver with a fine or a short ban is not really a punishment. Drivers have more money than sense, a petty fine means nothing to them.

Alonso has suffered because he has been relegated to an average car for the past two seasons. That was the best place for him. He has learned his lessons and probably became a better person because of it. Gone are his chances of competing at the front. He has been badly burnt using this method and it has been far more effective than any other.

Furthermore living in the past is by no means a good way to try and improve the sport.

Now I realise some of you won't agree what what I've said and some may think i've just made a long-boring post. If you don't or if I have then I do apologise - but these things needed to be said.

Whereas some have let their views span out over a number of posts I have taken the time to let it be known in one.

I do not know what the outcome of next Monday will be, but guilty or not I hope it is the right one for Formula One in the long term...
isn't the airing the washing in public part of the show?

Unfortunately it is,and I think we are all to blame for feeding it.

I think we all thrive on it - we all do.

I also think it'll continue in the long term. I do however feel that what has been leaked in this case has been very biased.

There are a number of factors as to why this is - namely Renault's refusal to comment and the fact that the team have not yet submitted their evidence.
Renault's lack of comments is basically linked to the criminal action they are taking against the Piquets, i think.
Renault's lack of comments is basically linked to the criminal action they are taking against the Piquets, i think.

Also the due to the fact that the team are trying to let the courts decide.

Underhanded tactics by Piquet is so 1987.
"Fernando sabia de tudo", afirmou o tricampeão, de acordo com as informações do "Sport". "Ele não podia ignorar o assunto. Se você larga em 15º em um circuito urbano, não faz nenhum sentido começar com pouca gasolina. No máximo, você ultrapassa três carros, mas depois cai para último ao parar nos boxes. É uma estratégia sem sentido", concluiu Piquet.

"Fernando did know about everything" said the 3x champion, according to "Sport"."He couldn't turn a blind eye to the issue. If you start in 15º on a street circuit, it doesn't make any sense to start with little fuel. At maximum you overtake 3 cars, but then you become the last during the pits, its a non-sense strategy", concluded Piquet.

By the way, I think it doesn't matter.
Even if Fernando knew about that, what was he supposed to do? bahhh
For me, it is focus changing.
Last edited by Bruno_Brazil on 15 Sep 09, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
By the way, I was curious whether Piquet Snr. was informed about the cheating at the time it happened, or not.
So, I read last week, in Istoé (important brazilian magazine) a statement from piquet saying that he only knew about the issue 3 days later, because he couldn't believe that the accident wasn't made deliberately and Piquet Jr. had to confess. So Piquet Snr. told his son to delate who was involved, but he didn't accept.
I cant stand the Piquets.

What does Piquet Snr have to do with this crap?
I really hope this ends up all being a lie because I am Alonso has been my favorite driver since I began watching F1, and I was already disappointed enough in 2007. He really doesn't need to damage his reputation anymore...

I don't believe that Alonso had anything to do with it, so if he did I will be quite disappointed.
I really hope this ends up all being a lie because I am Alonso has been my favorite driver since I began watching F1, and I was already disappointed enough in 2007. He really doesn't need to damage his reputation anymore...

I don't believe that Alonso had anything to do with it, so if he did I will be quite disappointed.

But, imo, he wouldn't damage his reputation...even if he knew...
It was Briatore and Symond's idea, Piquet decided to colaborate, what should he have done?
Nothing.

Welcome! :drink:

Is this a question or pure sarcasm?

No it's a question...I can't see any guilt on Piquet Snr. in this case...unless clarifying things is wrong.

Is this a question or pure sarcasm?

No it's a question...I can't see any guilt on Piquet Snr. in this case...unless clarifying things is wrong.

I'm sure you'll get an earful here - I leave it to the others to enlighten you :wink:

See our F1 related articles too!