FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I've really just posted this to generate some debate ...

Bernie must have considered this in the past and I'm sure there are a millions reason why it's not a good idea but consider this ... an alternative F1 format.

Keep the drivers and constructors championships completely separate by making the drivers rotate teams and cars for every race. Each driver would drive each [team] car two times through the season with the order being determined randomly by a draw before the first race. Points and prize money would be awarded for every finish and additional prize money would be awarded for final championship positions. There would have to be equal numbers of cars, drivers and races (perhaps 10 teams (x 2 cars), 20 drivers and 20 races).

Benefit: The genuinely best driver would win the championship and races may be "spiced up".
Drawbacks: The sport would lose the driver-team spirit and identify.

Worth debating?
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

no

But welcome to the forum :hehe:

Seriously though that sounds like a really bad idea, it may be better if every team had identical cars at least that way it makes recognizing different drivers easier, similar to what they are doing with the BTCC, everyone has the same spec engine.
How would you finance it? Anyway, teams and drivers have a very high level of integration that would be lost, what about the development race? If a driver got the Ferrari at the start of the year, they'd be disadvantaged compared to a driver getting the Ferrari in Monza.

It'd really reduce the value of the teams for the sport. So we won't get as good cars.
Last edited by vaptin on 02 Oct 12, 18:49, edited 1 time in total.
I agree, NO. and it forgoes one of the most subtle but important aspects of the sport which is car development throughout the season. The car someone starts race one in, is vastly different than the one they finish race 20 with. That level of development would destroy the driver's aspect of what you're proposing.

Welcome BTW.
I think what you suggest has been spoken about by Bernie previously. In terms of feasibility though, it would crush the sport as drivers need to be associated with each team, it's like a lead actor in a movie (team). And that's just a small significant part to it. There's more..like sponsorship issues, the rulebooks will have to be revamped...and generally speaking I think the world will end before something like this happens in F1.
Having a standard car is NOT a good idea and is completely against the ethos of F1. I actually think there's already far too much regulation which seriously stifles innovation. If to we're up to me, I would remove all of the regulations except the overall dimensional, budget and safety regs.

Funding would come from the teams, replacing the driver wage bill. Sure, the top drivers would be paid less but hell, they're paid far too much anyway.

I don't see how sponsorship would be any kind of issue. Teams could even bid for a drivers image rights, allowing their cars to be shown with the best driver they can afford.

I agree that development will be impacted because of the lack of integration between driver and car. Also a wider range of drivers will be influencing the development of the car, ultimately resulting in a more compromised design. However, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing from a spectator perspective.

Also, with drivers switching cars and telling sectrets all season, development would propagate across the field, especially benefiting the lesser teams.

I've been following F1 since the early 80s and although it has improved recently, I still think it falls very far short as a spectator sport. Sorry to say it, but it is true. The sport needs to find an innovative way to improve the spectacle. Also, I've always been bothered by the fact that the best driver does not always with the championship ... D Hill and J Villeneuve wouldn't have been close to Schumacher in the same machinery. Would Mansell (good though he was) have beaten Senna in the same team ... Errr, No.

Looking forward to the turbo cars again, perhaps that will do the trick.
Sorting the aero and the engines (along with a couple other things) will do the trick. I have my doubt whether the new engine format alone will improve F1 without the need for computer game style gimmicks and gadgets.
Having a standard car is NOT a good idea and is completely against the ethos of F1. I actually think there's already far too much regulation which seriously stifles innovation. If to we're up to me, I would remove all of the regulations except the overall dimensional, budget and safety regs.

Funding would come from the teams, replacing the driver wage bill. Sure, the top drivers would be paid less but hell, they're paid far too much anyway.

I don't see how sponsorship would be any kind of issue. Teams could even bid for a drivers image rights, allowing their cars to be shown with the best driver they can afford.

I agree that development will be impacted because of the lack of integration between driver and car. Also a wider range of drivers will be influencing the development of the car, ultimately resulting in a more compromised design. However, that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing from a spectator perspective.

Also, with drivers switching cars and telling sectrets all season, development would propagate across the field, especially benefiting the lesser teams.

I've been following F1 since the early 80s and although it has improved recently, I still think it falls very far short as a spectator sport. Sorry to say it, but it is true. The sport needs to find an innovative way to improve the spectacle. Also, I've always been bothered by the fact that the best driver does not always with the championship ... D Hill and J Villeneuve wouldn't have been close to Schumacher in the same machinery. Would Mansell (good though he was) have beaten Senna in the same team ... Errr, No.

Looking forward to the turbo cars again, perhaps that will do the trick.

Team sport remember, the best drivers need to have the team and other skills, and of course luck to to get into the best teams. Ferrari didn't pay all that money for Alonso and getting rid of Kimi for nothing, Redbull developing Vettel, and McLaren with Hamilton.
I think the turbos will make a big difference ... At least, I have very fond memories of the previous turbo era.

Wind the boost up, use all of your fuel and coast to the flag, if you can make it!
Iterestingly, right now it's very hard to make a call on who's the best driver. It's a close run thing. Lewis, Alonso, Vettel ... It would be nice to see them compete on a level playing field.
I think the turbos will make a big difference ... At least, I have very fond memories of the previous turbo era.

Wind the boost up, use all of your fuel and coast to the flag, if you can make it!

Welcome!

There's a chasm between the previous era turbos ~1kHP and the new ones - less powerful (when you take off the ERS) than the current GP2 donks.

Don't like your concept.

A competition I'd like to see, run during race weekends, perhaps my team could sponsor it :) perhaps call it the Ferrari challenge. Allow the use of a control F1 car, lets say the F10, have 10 units and they only race in Europe (keep transport costs down) or if outside then the circuit has to pay the transport etc. At Monza, Monaco, Silverstone and Spa run a race for the top 6 drivers from the previous year plus 4 wildcards/invitees. For other circuits the same cars are driven by 5 rookies and 5 greats from the past. I will add that's there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell that anything like this would happen - but I find the concept intriguing.

Welcome!

There's a chasm between the previous era turbos ~1kHP and the new ones - less powerful (when you take off the ERS) than the current GP2 donks.

Don't like your concept.

A competition I'd like to see, run during race weekends, perhaps my team could sponsor it :) perhaps call it the Ferrari challenge. Allow the use of a control F1 car, lets say the F10, have 10 units and they only race in Europe (keep transport costs down) or if outside then the circuit has to pay the transport etc. At Monza, Monaco, Silverstone and Spa run a race for the top 6 drivers from the previous year plus 4 wildcards/invitees. For other circuits the same cars are driven by 5 rookies and 5 greats from the past. I will add that's there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell that anything like this would happen - but I find the concept intriguing.

Your team? Dude, when did you buy the Ferrari race team...does Montezemolo know about this?

I like it spanky, but you'd get more traction to the concept if you also invited footballers and Hollywood celebrities. :hehe:
I agree with Spankyham's proposal but I would add another layer of rivalry to it: National teams. 12 countries could be represented, each with a pair of drivers. In other words, you would get a constructors' championship, an individual drivers' championship, and a national championship.

The national championship would add interest to the lower orders of most races, as it would matter as much where Jenson Button finishes, as Lewis Hamilton.

It is nonsense to say that development wouldn't take place over the season: there would be 24 different drivers giving feedback on each car, which would especially benefit the slower cars.

See our F1 related articles too!