FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
I think that Kevin Magnussen put it best, he said that if he had the perception that he could get away with this sort of driving, he would do it as well. I think that Verstappen didn't break any rules, he only made a single move, albeit a late one, but not so late that Raikkonen was alongside. I see it that motorsport is dangerous, I see F1 as a very sanitized version of it's former self thanks to many factors in modern F1. Technically F1 has more overtakes now with all the overtaking aids, but there is little to no drama and excitement, for me Verstappen brings some of that excitement back.
For me the best way to bring the excitement back is not by allowing one driver to be protected but by getting rid of the fuel saving, tire saving, engine saving, lift and coast rules. Who wants to watch fuel economy based 'racing'.
By rob91
For me the best way to bring the excitement back is not by allowing one driver to be protected but by getting rid of the fuel saving, tire saving, engine saving, lift and coast rules. Who wants to watch fuel economy based 'racing'.

I completely agree with this sentiment. I think it is sad that for F1 to be seen as exciting it needs to have a driver like Verstappen making some dangerous manoeuvres.

I completely agree with this sentiment. I think it is sad that for F1 to be seen as exciting it needs to have a driver like Verstappen making some dangerous manoeuvres.

I think that most people who love racing would agree that the fuel restrictions, fast(er) degrading tires / having to use at least 2 compounds and use of artificial aids like DRS has stifled the sport. But I also believe that the blame/penalty culture in F1 has also stifled competition with drivers afraid to make a lunge down the inside for fear of a penalty if it doesn't go to plan.

Verstappen did nothing wrong in Spa according to the letter of the law, so I don't see how he is being protected and Charlie Whitting threatening him with sanctions if he drives in a similar manner at Monza is overstepping I feel. If the FIA don't want drivers to drive like Max has done, change the rules, don't threaten a driver that has not broken any rule.

I am not a particular fan of Verstappen, I felt his promotion to the senior team was premature. Maybe it's time for F1 to make it a requirement for any driver to have competed in a lower formula for at least 3 years before entering F1. Did Max even have a road drivers license before his super-license?

Many drivers like Lewis Hamilton, Daniel Ricciardo etc have said that the issue is his youth, he will learn with experience, the question is; should F1 be the proving ground for Verstappen?
Verstappen confirms his douche-bag status with his rebuttal to Villeneuve. Using Graham Beveridge's death as a football in his petty war of words is a disgrace. The guy is over the limit in and out of the car. He just doesn't get it.

"Villeneuve hit out at Verstappen's defensive driving in the wake of the race at Spa, his comments including the line "Just calm down. You're going to kill someone."
That prompted Verstappen to hit back in the Dutch media on Friday at Monza, where he referenced Villeneuve's crash in the 2001 Australian Grand Prix when a marshal was killed by a stray wheel after the Canadian's BAR got airborne following contact with Ralf Schumacher's Williams.
While Verstappen subsequently tried to distance himself from a quote attributed to him saying Villeneuve "killed someone," the 1997 world champion believes the whole situation has gotten out of hand.
"I made logical comments about what happened on the racetrack, and that's now gone beyond, is inappropriate and lacks respect to the family [of the Australian GP marshal, Graham Beveridge]," said Villeneuve."

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/133857-ver ... villeneuve
Not to defend Verstappen's comments; but these comments kinda sound like something a teenager would say, whether he is being guided by someone we do not know. I don't see anything wrong with his driving style, but he needs to learn humility and how to conduct himself properly in front of the world media.
By sagi58
Verstappen going off track as he collides with Raikkonen:

Did Verstappen go off track, to me it looks like he had at least one wheel tarmac side of the white line, there was zero contact before Vettel turned in, Raikkonen was giving Verstappen room...

True, Kimi did give Verstappen room; but, you can't fault Vettel for doing the same thing!!
From where he was sitting, Vettel must have been thinking that Kimi had plenty of room...
what Vettel couldn't know was that Verstappen was trying to muscle through.
By sagi58
...I am not a particular fan of Verstappen, I felt his promotion to the senior team was premature. Maybe it's time for F1 to make it a requirement for any driver to have competed in a lower formula for at least 3 years before entering F1. Did Max even have a road drivers license before his super-license?

Many drivers like Lewis Hamilton, Daniel Ricciardo etc have said that the issue is his youth, he will learn with experience, the question is; should F1 be the proving ground for Verstappen?

Not to defend Verstappen's comments; but these comments kinda sound like something a teenager would say, whether he is being guided by someone we do not know. I don't see anything wrong with his driving style, but he needs to learn humility and how to conduct himself properly in front of the world media.

That would be the guiding hand of father Jos.

See our F1 related articles too!