FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Hey all, I used to watch F1 all the time when I was younger. I got into the sport a few years before my favorite driver (Because I'm Canadian) Jaques Villenueve joined F1 and I watched it for quite a while. Then life got in the way and I slowly got out of the sport.

But now I'm back and some of the rules are a bit confusing. I get the jist of them but I don't understand the background of them fully. For example I hear that Lewis Hamilton is nursing his engine because he only has one left and I've seen that guys get grid penalties for changing a gearbox or an engine but I'm not really sure on the specifics of that. Does each driver only get so many engines and gearboxes? Do they have to just keep driving on them until they go?

Also with the tyres, I think I understand that each driver gets to choose their tyres for each race and that each driver has to use 2 sets of tyres per race, but I think I also heard something about a certain type of tyre being nominated for each race, so does that mean that say the Ultras were nominated that each driver would have to use Ultras during that race? If that's the case what happens if they don't?

Thanks for your time. :)
Welcome back to F1 from another fellow Canucklehead. You're right that those first couple of years with Jacques battling Schu was fantastc for us. Then with the disappontment of the BAR team and he faded away. Next year things change again as far as engine and chassis changes so who knows maybe there will be another team dominating the next few years . The past few years Mercedes has totally dominated with Red Bull the prior 4 years. Glad that TSN picked up the Sky feed vs the BBC feed in the past as it is a much more comprehensive show on Fri, Sat and Sun.
Thanks for the replies everyone. As a Hamilton fan I'm concerned about his power unit situation. Are the teams allowed to work on maintenance for the engines during the times between races? I'm hoping the Summer break will allow them to fortify the power unit in his car, check it over with a fine toothed comb, etc. In my opinion he's clearly the better driver than Rosberg, but I'm afraid this may cost him the championship.

See our F1 related articles too!