FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12523/10511450/lewis-hamilton-and-nico-rosberg-disagree-over-f1-rules-in-hungary

Just saw this and have to agree with Lewis that double waved yellows should mean 'be prepared to stop'. I have no idea how Rosberg kept his pole lap having only decreased speed by 20kph during such a zone during qualifying on Saturday. :thumbdown:

Agreed and it appears Danny Ric agreed with Lewis.

There needs to be better rules in place for double waved yellows especially after the Bianchi accident.
I've slowed by more than 20kph (12mph) to let someone onto the highway; if that is what the FIA call a significant lift under double waved yellows, then I am shocked!

The interesting thing will be should another driver do the same as Rosberg, lift for 30 meters and scrub off 20kph through double waved yellows and get punished...

F1 is a mess in regards to rules and inconsistent stewardship.

I agree. The decision around Jenson in the race was also ridiculous.

However, my biggest fear surrounding rules this season will be realised when Lewis runs out of his allotted components. It's not his fault he's endured reliability issues this season, but he himself admits he's likely to start at the back of at least one race due to this - that could undo the hard work he's done to catch and pass Rosberg. :thumbdown:

I agree. The decision around Jenson in the race was also ridiculous.

However, my biggest fear surrounding rules this season will be realised when Lewis runs out of his allotted components. It's not his fault he's endured reliability issues this season, but he himself admits he's likely to start at the back of at least one race due to this - that could undo the hard work he's done to catch and pass Rosberg. :thumbdown:

Agreed I think the punishment for mechanical issues needs to be looked at. Maybe punish the team instead if its not the driver that caused the failure of a component.

Maybe dock the team constructor points if they have to replace an engine or gearbox in one of their cars.

In my view, that's the luck of the draw; everyone starts with the same amount of parts. You could argue that Lewis' driving style is what caused the parts to fail, maybe Rosberg is gentler on his mechanicals; without inside knowledge we simply don't know. Bottom line, it can't be unfair if everyone is restricted by the same rules, we can't blame stewardship for this.

In my view, that's the luck of the draw; everyone starts with the same amount of parts. You could argue that Lewis' driving style is what caused the parts to fail, maybe Rosberg is gentler on his mechanicals; without inside knowledge we simply don't know. Bottom line, it can't be unfair if everyone is restricted by the same rules, we can't blame stewardship for this.

Well if the engine has just been put in and it fails that weekend then I would say its less about the driver and more about reliability. Also the engines are meant to be reliable regardless of how much a driver pushes it to the limit.

If a driver wrecks his car in a crash then maybe its fair enough to punish him if he has been careless enough to crash. If its just a random failure like a the gearbox skipping a gear or breaks failing then its unfair to punish a driver for that.

People want to see good racing and I think there is too much double jeopardy being enforced like Buttons situation during the race. They have adjusted the rules in football so if a footballer gives away a penalty the team is not punished twice for the one offence, if the player has made a genuine attempt to get the ball.
Now, I think punishing a driver for a gearbox and/or engine change while he still has spare ones in his allocation, then that I don't like, what's the point in having an allowance if the driver gets punished even if he has parts in his allocation available? When a driver runs out of parts, that's a different situation. I remember back in the day when engines would go bang after the parade lap; so that was upto 10 points lost (in the old scoring system), but that was before the days of limits on engines and gearboxes. The current system is about making engines road relevant and supposedly a cost saving measure, which is bulls**t as having expensive hybrid power units is not an effective way to save money.
I see your point but Hamilton has already suffered due to these failures on-track. Plus, when drivers do break their cars they are usually put at a disadvantage during the weekend. The likely penalty for LH could jeapardise his WC and it won't be his fault, rather, as an example, an employee called Claude at a Mercedes's supplier who forgot to properly check a component correctly...

Lewis has clawed his way back, now we want to see him and Nico go hammer and tongs! ;)

I think we all want the same thing - close, fast racing (not driving around conserving fuel or tyres) and fewer rules.
I see your point but Hamilton has already suffered due to these failures on-track. Plus, when drivers do break their cars they are usually put at a disadvantage during the weekend. The likely penalty for LH could jeapardise his WC and it won't be his fault, rather, as an example, an employee called Claude at a Mercedes's supplier who forgot to properly check a component correctly...

Lewis has clawed his way back, now we want to see him and Nico go hammer and tongs! ;)

I think we all want the same thing - close, fast racing (not driving around conserving fuel or tyres) and fewer rules.

Exactly we want to see them racing to the max.

Like like Lewis said he was doing enough at the weekend to preserve his engine because he knows he has to make it last as much as possible. If he had not engine worries then he would have put in faster laps and pulled away from Nico perhaps.

The engine and tyre saving is getting tedious for everyone.
Hamilton isn't the only driver to suffer mechanical mishaps, is he?
As MOA mentioned, everyone is supposed to work within the same
set of rules... it's not just about what's most convenient for your
favourite driver/team at the time!!

At least, that's what I've been told whenever I've said anything
when this sort of thing applies to Ferrari!! :P
The red flag to replace double yellows rule is a good call. Removes all danger and risk of cheats spoiling things.

I think it's overkill; with 2 minutes left of the session; throwing a red flag is the same as ending the session. With double waved yellows, a driver can slow and have another lap, with a red flag and having to start from their pit box again will ruin many a qualifying session. I don't know why they can not use the same system as the VSC.
The red flag to replace double yellows rule is a good call. Removes all danger and risk of cheats spoiling things.

I think that Alonso hit the nail on the head with his comments:

However, Alonso does not see any issue with the rules.

"I have been racing 16 years in Formula 1 and 31 in motorsport and we have always had a single yellow and a double yellow and there have never been any issues apart from when you are fighting for the world championship and apart from when Nico is doing it," he said.

"So I don't see a problem, it was not a problem, it will not be any problem in the future - there is no need for any clarification in my opinion."

See our F1 related articles too!