FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Bladesman
No punishment for Rosberg.

Although instead they are looking at punishing drivers that were outside 107% rule during a very wet Q1.

Proves F1 is still a joke.

They let Hamilton keep pole last race even though he had all four wheels off on turn 7 on his pole lap. :rolleyes:

They deleted his time.

Anyway you were one bitching last time about stewards not being consistent.
By myownalias
Rosbergs view:

"Rosberg explained after qualifying, “For sure there was a waved yellows but I had a very, very big lift and lost a lot of time as a result. I was also slower than on my previous lap in that yellow sector, or in that yellow segment or whatever it’s called so I’m sure that will be OK.”

I'm confused by this statement as every report I have seen says that Rosberg went purple in the sector where the yellows were being waved. If that sector was slower than his previous lap, then it could not have been a purple sector. Regardless of when Rosberg made the above statement, if it's true that the sector was purple, then his statement is a complete lie.

I think over the years that bureaucratic interference by stewards is getting more and more in the way of race, in the 90s, I remember Schumacher and Hill colliding repeatedly and there was no investigation and chalked it up to a racing incident and people just accepted it, these days, teams and drivers are cry babies who bitch and moan if they don't get their way.
By overboost
They deleted his time.

I was actually agreeing with you that F1 is becoming a joke. They fail to enforce their own rules, are adding new ones like the radio rules which are ridiculous imo, engine rules that dull competitiveness, etc, etc.

In the past I haven't harped to much about consistent stewards as I don't expect it race to race the way it is set up with different stewards. Within a race though they should be able to be consistent.

As for Hamilton, yes they deleted his time from his first attempt but I am talking about his second attempt, his pole lap, where going off on turn 7 was overlooked.
By overboost
Rosbergs view:

"Rosberg explained after qualifying, “For sure there was a waved yellows but I had a very, very big lift and lost a lot of time as a result. I was also slower than on my previous lap in that yellow sector, or in that yellow segment or whatever it’s called so I’m sure that will be OK.”

I'm confused by this statement as every report I have seen says that Rosberg went purple in the sector where the yellows were being waved. If that sector was slower than his previous lap, then it could not have been a purple sector. Regardless of when Rosberg made the above statement, if it's true that the sector was purple, then his statement is a complete lie.

I think over the years that bureaucratic interference by stewards is getting more and more in the way of race, in the 90s, I remember Schumacher and Hill colliding repeatedly and there was no investigation and chalked it up to a racing incident and people just accepted it, these days, teams and drivers are cry babies who bitch and moan if they don't get their way.

I think that the drying track complicates things quite a bit as times were tumbling rapidly. This means that Rosberg could still set a quickest sector even though he did slow for the flag.

The question I have is why did Hamilton slow down? he had plenty of room to get past Alonso. Did he just assume that the session was over?
By Bladesman
They deleted his time.

I was actually agreeing with you that F1 is becoming a joke. They fail to enforce their own rules, are adding new ones like the radio rules which are ridiculous imo, engine rules that dull competitiveness, etc, etc.

In the past I haven't harped to much about consistent stewards as I don't expect it race to race the way it is set up with different stewards. Within a race though they should be able to be consistent.

As for Hamilton, yes they deleted his time from his first attempt but I am talking about his second attempt, his pole lap, where going off on turn 7 was overlooked.

Sorry.

Anyway today has proved the rules are a mess with Jenson being punished for having no breaks.

As for the race, decent win for Lewis but pretty boring overall. Max pushing the limit of what is acceptable but that was about it.
By overboost
Today was a great example actually how F1 has lost the plot on the rules.

Worrying about trivial issues like radio transmissions and issuing a ridiculous penalty to Button and ignoring the direction change in the braking zone of Verstappen which could have causes a major shunt if not for Raikkonen's excellent reactions.

That is the kind of driving that causes high risk of injury but the stewards seem to be focused on the trivia of stamping out potentially helpful or entertaining radio comms. Pathetic imo.
By overboost
Raikkonen agrees that the stewards are not doing their job:

"If the rules don't apply all the time and to all the people, then we shouldn't have them."

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/171 ... pen-battle
By overboost
Gutierrez speaks out against Hamilton's middle finger while being lapped:

https://twitter.com/EstebanGtz/status/7 ... 2094160896

Esteban GutierrezVerified account
‏@EstebanGtz
Being a world champion doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful to your competitors, my friend @LewisHamilton

I liked how Gutierrez responded to Hamilton's finger by immediately letting Rosberg through and costing Lewis 1.2 seconds of his lead. Be nice Lewis those monkeys at the back sometimes bite!
By Bladesman
Gutierrez speaks out against Hamilton's middle finger while being lapped:

https://twitter.com/EstebanGtz/status/7 ... 2094160896

Esteban GutierrezVerified account
‏@EstebanGtz
Being a world champion doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful to your competitors, my friend @LewisHamilton

I liked how Gutierrez responded to Hamilton's finger by immediately letting Rosberg through and costing Lewis 1.2 seconds of his lead. Be nice Lewis those monkeys at the back sometimes bite!

He had held Lewis up for the entire lap, that is why he got the finger from him. Vettel was getting annoyed with back markers as well yesterday.

Both HAAS cars have been guilty of holding up the leaders a number of times this season and finally yesterday one them got rightly punished for it. They must go past a half a dozen waved blue flags before they ever move over and they can't keep getting away with it.

This weekend proved flags mean nothing to some drivers.
By myownalias
The race itself was somewhat processional inside the top six, Vettel got ahead of Verstappen during the pit stops and that's how it stayed until the end. The only shining light was Kimi Raikkonen who made up seven places (through strategy) and actually took the race to Verstappen; although the Kimi of old would have taken a lung to see what happens.

The incident with radio communication and Jenson Button was stupid, if there is a brake issue, how can that not be considered a safety issue? It's clear that the FIA has lost the plot under the control of Jean Todt, it's becoming more and more big brother-ish by the event; drivers are afraid to make a lunge down the inside these days for fear of punishment, drivers and fans are frustrated by the rules of the sport and the restrictive nature of being fuel limited and to a lesser extent in 2016, tire limited.

The whole weekend was a mess; Rosberg being allowed to slow by 12mph through double waved yellows, set a purple sector and get away with it, then multiple examples of drivers ignoring blue flags seemingly without punishment with the exception of Gutierrez and finally more radio communication controversy with McLaren.

Looking at Button's body language after the race; this will be his last season in F1; he is clearly not happy with the way F1 has gone in recent years!
By overboost
By overboost
By Jose Lorca
The Hungarian GP has always been a boring race... Unless there is a surprise british winner who somehow jumped to the front and couldnt be overtaken.
By overboost
Hamilton being publicly embarrassed by the team for going directly to Charlie Whiting after the Hungarian GP qually. No doubt the real reason was to strip pole from Rosberg. His regrettable whining to Charlie probably is what resulted with the silly qually 3 double waved yellows actually meaning a red flag rule.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... le-803559/

"Mercedes executive director Paddy Lowe has said it was 'regrettable' that Lewis Hamilton took it upon himself to speak to Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting about the yellow flag controversy in Hungary last weekend.

In the wake of Nico Rosberg snatching pole position despite double yellow flags coming out, Hamilton went to speak to Whiting to clarify what the implications of that matter was.

Speaking at the German Grand Prix on Friday, Lowe said that the team would have preferred for Hamilton to have asked the outfit to liaise with Whiting on his behalf.

"I think that was regrettable.

"Personally, he should have kept to advice from the team and we can obtain that from Charlie as necessary.""
By Bladesman
Hamilton being publicly embarrassed by the team for going directly to Charlie Whiting after the Hungarian GP qually. No doubt the real reason was to strip pole from Rosberg. His regrettable whining to Charlie probably is what resulted with the silly qually 3 double waved yellows actually meaning a red flag rule.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merce ... le-803559/

"Mercedes executive director Paddy Lowe has said it was 'regrettable' that Lewis Hamilton took it upon himself to speak to Formula 1 race director Charlie Whiting about the yellow flag controversy in Hungary last weekend.

In the wake of Nico Rosberg snatching pole position despite double yellow flags coming out, Hamilton went to speak to Whiting to clarify what the implications of that matter was.

Speaking at the German Grand Prix on Friday, Lowe said that the team would have preferred for Hamilton to have asked the outfit to liaise with Whiting on his behalf.

"I think that was regrettable.

"Personally, he should have kept to advice from the team and we can obtain that from Charlie as necessary.""

Worth mentioning Red Bull also went to the stewards to ask about about the yellow flags over Rosbergs lap.

Although as usual on here lets ignore that fact and that Daniel was backing Lewis up in the post race press conference over the flags.

Fact of the matter is no one should be going purple under double yellows.

See our F1 related articles too!