FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Tires are not supposed to explode!
By myownalias
In regard to track limits, first of all, I didn't watch qualifying (I rarely bother these days), but the track is defined by the white lines; so instead of having the race director decide what is acceptable or not; why not simply have a blanket rule that states, any driver exceeding the limits of the track (4 wheels over the white line) will be penalized. Or better still, go old school with the white line, then grass, then gravel, drivers will respect the track limits when going out of bounds means a severe speed/traction penalty or even retirement.

On the tires, it's really getting silly, first enforced minimum tire pressures and now tire usage limits (x amount of laps)... pinnacle of motorsport... not really!
By overboost
The track limits rule followed today was that turns 9,15,18 would be zero tolerance for exceeding track limits because those corners are where you get advantage. However sometimes drivers weren't penalized (having their time deleted) for going 4 wheels over the line in these corners and sometimes drivers were penalized for going over the line in the other non 'zero tolerance' corners.

Hamilton got lucky on his pole lap as he went over the line in turn 7 but it was overlooked. Otherwise he would have been 10th because his first time had been deleted.

You are right it was rather silly to have two classes of corners, some 'zero tolerance' and the rest 'regular tolerance'.

https://twitter.com/nigelmansell/status ... 8450433024
By overboost
P No. Driver Car
1 44 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
2 6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
3 33 Max Verstappen Red Bull-TAG Heuer
4 3 Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull-TAG Heuer
5 7 Kimi Raikkonen Ferrari
6 11 Sergio Perez Force India-Mercedes
7 27 Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes
8 55 Carlos Sainz Jnr Toro Rosso-Ferrari
9 5 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari
10 26 Daniil Kvyat Toro Rosso-Ferrari
11 19 Felipe Massa Williams-Mercedes
12 22 Jenson Button McLaren-Honda
13 14 Fernando Alonso McLaren-Honda
14 77 Valtteri Bottas Williams-Mercedes
15 12 Felipe Nasr Sauber-Ferrari
16 21 Esteban Gutierrez Haas-Ferrari
17 20 Kevin Magnussen Renault
By Bladesman
Rosberg finally punished correctly this week and loses 2nd place.

Good win for Lewis even though it was a mostly uneventful race.
By sagi58
I beg to differ. The penalty, considering the tightness of the race for the WDC,
basically is giving Hamilton another undue advantage.

As for it being a "good win" for Hamilton, all he did was drive behind the safety car,
at the start and literally stay out of trouble, considering he was competing against...
oh, wait... there was NO one to compete against him!!
By gdh
Today's British Gran Snooze would have put an insomniac to sleep. Glad for the Brits that a fellow Brit won.
By myownalias
I beg to differ. The penalty, considering the tightness of the race for the WDC,

As for it being a "good win" for Hamilton, all he did was drive behind the safety car,
at the start and literally stay out of trouble, considering he was competing against...

I think you are being very unfair to Hamilton; he did what he had to do to stay out front while others were spinning in tricky conditions; yes Hamilton had that one excursion, but was followed on that excursion by second placed Verstappen. If you are going to go on that tangent, then you have to discount most of current Ferrari driver, Vettel's wins at Red Bull and a lot of Michael Schumacher's wins with Ferrari. You cannot criticize Hamilton for being out front and winning from pole.

I do think that Rosberg got off somewhat lightly again; the team blatantly flouted the rules after being warned, considering that the FIA could have excluded Rosberg completely as a message to everyone, "don't f**k with us, it will cost you big", a ten second penalty is easy street, Mercedes will be silly to appeal it as it could cost them more than a single position.
By sagi58

I think you are being very unfair to Hamilton; he did what he had to do to stay out front while others were spinning in tricky conditions; yes Hamilton had that one excursion, but was followed on that excursion by second placed Verstappen. If you are going to go on that tangent, then you have to discount most of current Ferrari driver, Vettel's wins at Red Bull and a lot of Michael Schumacher's wins with Ferrari. You cannot criticize Hamilton for being out front and winning from pole...

I should have used the "tongue in cheek" smiley, eh? :thumbup:

See our F1 related articles too!