FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.

In an attempt to ensure teams do not run tyre pressures lower than Pirelli's recommendations, the FIA has changed its procedure for checking pressures ahead of track sessions.

This year Pirelli has been setting increasingly higher minimum pressures to ensure the tyres remain at safe pressures while on track. There is a suspicion that some teams have found ways of lowering the pressure once the car is on track, offering a competitive advantage but potentially putting the tyres under undue strain.

The FIA previously checked the pressures when the tyres were fitted to the car, but from the Austrian Grand Prix onwards it will check them before they are fitted. It is believed the new procedure will eliminate any tricks the teams have found to heat up the tyres while they are checked on the car before cooling them on track to reduce the pressures.

"FIA informs that with immediate effect during practice sessions, qualifying and the race the minimum starting tyre pressures, as set out in the Pirelli Preview for each event, will always be checked before the wheels are fitted to the car," an FIA statement said. "These checks will only be carried out on new tyres or used tyres from a previous session, they must be done in the presence of, and be verified by, your designated Pirelli engineer.

"Once set, no air may be released from the tyres but air may be added. In addition, if a set of tyres is used more than once in any session there will be no requirement to reset the pressures to the minimum starting pressure.

"On the grid the starting pressures will be checked before the wheels are fitted to the car. These checks must be carried out in the presence of, and be verified by, a scrutineer, an FIA delegate or your designated Pirelli engineer. Once set no air may be released from the tyres but air may be added."

If the new procedure is successful, Pirelli may be able to lower its mandatory pressures, which have come under fire from drivers this year for being too high.

Ahead of this weekend's race, Jenson Button said the pressure being imposed by Pirelli was "unbelievably high", adding: "It's very high so front graining is going to be a massive issue. So that's tough considering we've got the soft, super-soft and ultra-soft here. It's going to make the weekend reasonably tough for everyone. So it's about cooling as much as you can and driving in a certain way and having to run loads of engine braking and stuff like that, so it's a shame."

My take on tire pressures is; let them run whatever pressures they like; but teams then forfeit any right to complain about Pirelli if a tire fails.
I believe new rules were in place for the Austrian Grand Prix; I kept on hearing commentators mention cars having to run higher pressures during the race.

...and Pirelli changed the time of the measurement (I think before the tires go on to the cars as opposed to on the grid as before).
My take on tire pressures is; let them run whatever pressures they like; but teams then forfeit any right to complain about Pirelli if a tire fails.

Initially, I thought, that works for me, too...
but, then I got to thinking, what if that blow out causes an injury/fatality? :(

See our F1 related articles too!