FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Found a good site or want to plug your own? For regulars only.
A very brief overview of the Russian GP from my perspective...

Formula 1 Russian Grand Prix 2016

Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg extended his world drivers championship lead over team mate Lewis Hamilton by another seven points taking his seventh consecutive victory at the Russian Grand Prix.

Continue Reading...
My view of the Monaco Grand Prix 2016...

Formula 1 Monaco Grand Prix 2016

Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton won his first race since the US Grand Prix back in October 2015; taking victory in the principality of Monte Carlo after a disastrous pit stop error by Red Bull gifted the Briton the lead on lap 32, not to say Hamilton was not deserving of victory, he made it work by staying out on full wet tires while others pitted for intermediates before switching to ultra soft slick tires on lap 31.

Continue Reading...
Didn't bother writing a review of the Canadian or Azerbaijan GP; but here's some F1 related stuff about radio comms...

Is It Time To Repeal The Radio Communications Ban In F1?

Last weekend’s Azerbaijan Grand Prix in Baku was such a bore that the only real talking point of the weekend was the radio communications ban after Mercedes drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg were running in the wrong engine mode causing a drop in performance; while their race engineers on the pit wall were unable to help due to the ban on radio communication that was implemented in 2016.

Continue Reading...
Either ‘technical’ advice should be permitted or steering wheel controls need to be significantly simplified.

There's a third option in my view:
Hire drivers with the mental capacity to learn all the ins and outs (or most of them). I wouldn't dream of becoming a scientist w/o knowing most of the background info, etc. of my field - or else I'd be a bad scientist and not make a living. The steering wheel and codes/settings are part of today's environment in which an F1 driver makes a living. I'm sure a little individual professional development can go a long way with most of these delicate flowers...
Either ‘technical’ advice should be permitted or steering wheel controls need to be significantly simplified.

There's a third option in my view:
Hire drivers with the mental capacity to learn all the ins and outs (or most of them). I wouldn't dream of becoming a scientist w/o knowing most of the background info, etc. of my field - or else I'd be a bad scientist and not make a living. The steering wheel and codes/settings are part of today's environment in which an F1 driver makes a living. I'm sure a little individual professional development can go a long way with most of these delicate flowers...

You cannot confuse a scientist with a racing driver... and generally scientists are not traveling at 200mph+ when doing scientific things.
I'm not comparing them, I'm simply saying if you want to succeed in your job, then learn your stuff.

The 200 mph (and associated risks) come only into play if we compare salaries.
I wouldn't get the keys to a nuclear facility or to CERN to run some experiment - that's above my pay grade and expertise.
As long as the engineer rides along in the car like in the old days.
My thoughts on the happenings at the Austrian GP at the Red Bull Ring

Formula 1 Austrian Grand Prix 2016

Lewis Hamilton took victory at the Red Bull Ring in Austria despite team mate Nico Rosberg, who the Briton was overtaking on the outside going into turn 2 on the final lap clattering into him. Rosberg appeared to make very little effort to make the corner, keeping the wheel straight and then only put on 45-50% steering angle to avoid the collision, only after the collision does Rosberg turn the wheel to full lock. Secondarily, Rosberg, despite carrying damage didn’t give Hamilton room to rejoin the track.

Continue Reading...
Oh, look, I have written another write-up about a race... two in a week...

Formula 1 British Grand Prix 2016

Mercedes driver, Lewis Hamilton closed to within one point of team mate and championship leader, Nico Rosberg taking a dominant victory at Silverstone on a typical British afternoon. Max Verstappen took the chequered flag in third place after a valiant, but futile defense of second place against Rosberg; but those positions were switched post race due to Mercedes’ infringement of radio communication rules.

Continue Reading...
My view of the German GP Snoozefest!

Formula 1 German Grand Prix 2016

We have reached the half way point of the season and despite Nico Rosberg claiming pole position at Hockenheim, he had a bad start that immediately demoted him to fourth place by turn 1. Lewis Hamilton extended his WDC lead over his Mercedes team mate to 19 points going into the mid season break.

Continue Reading...
Your prediction of it being LH's championship to lose might very well come true though: he'll be facing some substantial grid penalties down the road b/c of going over the limit with parts/engines.

Yes, but Mercedes have a strategy, there was talk of them taking two new engines in Spa or Monza as penalties no longer roll over into the next event. Which means he can effectively get two extra engines for one penalty. It'll be interesting to see if the FIA let them get away with such shenanigans.
Your prediction of it being LH's championship to lose might very well come true though: he'll be facing some substantial grid penalties down the road b/c of going over the limit with parts/engines.

Yes, but Mercedes have a strategy, there was talk of them taking two new engines in Spa or Monza as penalties no longer roll over into the next event. Which means he can effectively get two extra engines for one penalty. It'll be interesting to see if the FIA let them get away with such shenanigans.

Sure they will... After all, it will benefit the "golden one"!! :rolleyes:

See our F1 related articles too!