FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By myownalias
In reality, it's both...

Which is where the problem lies; there is supposedly no "I" in team.

...but there is an "I" in driver...

Let's have one dr[I]ver teams, problem solved, 26 teams of 1 driver.

On page 5 now, we're on fire :P
By sagi58
Good point! But, to take your argument one step further, why have two drivers?
Imagine the savings on personnel, travelling, machinery? :eek:

Worse, imagine the last three years?? :banghead:

Personally, I think the WDC makes sense because it puts pressure on the teams
to actually field a car that more than one driver can win with.
By darwin dali
In reality, it's both...

Which is where the problem lies; there is supposedly no "I" in team.

...but there is an "I" in driver...

On page 5 now, we're on fire :P

A bit rough on such teams if their only driver dnf's - when there are two drivers, the teams can at least continue the race (and possibly win), gather more data for next year, etc.
By sagi58

Are there even 26 "interested" parties??
By sagi58
Did he really say that? :eek:

He did ... in June 2015! Surely puts a different spin on the tension between himself and Rosberg!

p.s. Apparently, there is video footage, too!
By overboost
Rosberg though if he was serious about winning the championship should never have let Hamilton past. Make him earn it. Having Hamilton being gifted the lead twice in the race really took away what could have been an epic Monaco.

I really don't agree with that statement, F1 is a team sport after all, why keep the faster driver behind while the leader was stretching out a 1.5-2 second lead each lap, it was upto 15 seconds by the time Hamilton was released, it was the smart team decision. That alone would not have ensured victory, if Red Bull didn't have that botched pitstop, Ricciardo would have been out ahead of Hamilton and the Briton would never have been able to chase down Ricciardo as the Australian was clearly faster for much of the race.

Rosberg should have kept him behind to keep Hamilton from scoring more points than him!

In making Hamilton work for it he could have forced a mistake and Hamilton could have put himself out or damaged his car, many things could happen to help Rosberg in the wdc rather than just giving up points. This also comes just one race after Hamilton took himself and Rosberg out (costing Rosberg 25 points!), he would have had to be extra careful before risking anything so advantage Rosberg and a damn good reason not to let him past.

Also the favour will not be repaid. The context for my comment is pretty much covered in this article. Lewis isn't going to comply. http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/i-m-h ... -hamilton/

This is probably Rosbergs only shot at winning the wdc, he shouldn't be handing charity to Lewis Hamilton imo.
By sagi58
...Rosberg should have kept him behind to keep Hamilton from scoring more points than him!

...This is probably Rosbergs only shot at winning the wdc, he shouldn't be handing charity to Lewis Hamilton imo.

Your assessment of this particular "battle" is absolutely correct; but, F1 is a team sport.
Here's hoping that Mercedes hasn't made any decision that doesn't penalize Rosberg for
following their "newly adopted" team orders philosophy...
Jonathan Noble wrote:">Rosberg did not hesitate to let Hamilton through - Wolff
By myownalias
I don't think that team orders will be a general thing at Mercedes, Monaco was extenuating circumstances, Rosberg was so slow that the whole field behind them was catching while Ricciardo was getting away, with equal performance drivers/cars, then I am against team orders, but in this case, it benefited the team and fans, Rosberg finished 7th for heavens sake in an identical car to the one that won the race. Rosberg didn't have the confidence to drive at the limit, and as I say in the real world, if you are not confident driving, get out of the way.
By darwin dali
I say in the real world, if you are not confident driving, get out of the way.

I say in the real world if you are confident driving, but a bad driver, get out of the way or stay home :banghead:
By myownalias
I say in the real world, if you are not confident driving, get out of the way.

I say in the real world if you are confident driving, but a bad driver, get out of the way or stay home :banghead:

I think bad drivers and drivers lacking confidence are just as dangerous especially on busy roads, on numerous occasions I've had to stamp on the brakes because of drivers who cant decide to go or not, then pull out when it is too late, or pull out them completely fail to accelerate and don't even me started on merging onto highways.

None of this is surprising in KS, where the driving test consists of backing out of a parking space, out of the parking lot, a few left turns, a few right turns and then back into the parking lot and drive into a parking space. I actually asked the examiner if that was it as I was so shocked by the ease of passing the test, no parallel parking, no emergency stop, no reversing around corners, no 3-point turns; all requirements back in the UK. in KS they don't even teach you to look around when overtaking or backing up, they only teach you to use your mirrors.

/END RANT
By darwin dali
Yet, I bet the accident stats are not too bad compared with other states or countries despite the lack of education :eek:
By myownalias
Yet, I bet the accident stats are not too bad compared with other states or countries despite the lack of education :eek:

In KS, there were 59,553 accidents in 2015 with a total population of 2.9 million, which is 2.05%, but 700k of those people are minors, which bumps up the accident rate to 2.7%.
By overboost
...Rosberg should have kept him behind to keep Hamilton from scoring more points than him!

...This is probably Rosbergs only shot at winning the wdc, he shouldn't be handing charity to Lewis Hamilton imo.

Your assessment of this particular "battle" is absolutely correct; but, F1 is a team sport.
Here's hoping that Mercedes hasn't made any decision that doesn't penalize Rosberg for
following their "newly adopted" team orders philosophy...
Jonathan Noble wrote:">Rosberg did not hesitate to let Hamilton through - Wolff

Merc has every right to use team orders and I support team orders especially when the #2 driver late in a season could be taking away points from a wdc contending teammate. However in this particular team and knowing that it is a one way street with Hamilton, Rosberg imo needs to stand up and fight for every point if he is to have any chance.

We will have to wait and see but this could be a repeat of post Spa 14 where inside Mercedes Rosberg was found to be at fault for the collision with Hamilton and from that point Rosberg had to play second fiddle. Is this the case for the events of Spain in the opinion of Mr Wolff?

See our F1 related articles too!