FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Looks like Jenson did very well for himself doubling his paycheque and set to earn $20M USD in 2016! He is a world champion and the most popular British driver on the grid and is also very popular in Japan. This pay increase will put him among the highest paid drivers in F1.

Seems he had ol' Ronny over a barrell with Alonso's continued employment with McLaren in doubt and Honda's love for Jenson. Somehow though Ron had put himself in a bad position yet again and this is on top of $75M USD losses over the last three years and a second last car! Dennis should really consider finding himself a nice old folks home.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1 ... en-6554387
By sagi58
As "they" say, you gotta strike when the iron is hot and Button is doing just that!!
Good for him!! :clap:
So one last year for the money for JB before leaving for new pastures, unless something miraculous happens, McLaren won't be title contenders in 2016, may not even be podium contenders, McHonda are so far off the pace, they would have to make an almost impossible jump to be in the winners circle next season.
Good job by Button in the final race of the year finishing 12th and holding off Bottas in the superior Williams.

Also beating Alonso over the season in points. Is this three world champions that Button has now beaten? Alonso, Villeneuve and Hamilton. Not to bad!
By sagi58
... Is this three world champions that Button has now beaten? Alonso, Villeneuve and Hamilton. Not to bad!

:clap: As "they" say, still waters run deep.
ESPNF1:

Jenson Button has split with his wife Jessica Michibata after a year of marriage.

The two had been together since 2009 before getting married last December in Hawaii.

"Jenson and Jessica have decided to go their separate ways and it is very amicable," a spokesperson for Button said. "There is no one else involved."

Michibata, a Japanese model, travelled with Button to many races during his career and was last in the paddock at the U.S. Grand Prix.

Oooops...
Button is better now than when he was 29.

http://en.f1i.com/news/53975-button-im- ... title.html

Mclaren haven't renewed him yet for 2017. Is Button looking for another seat?
By Jeffo
TIme he retired gracefully. This guy is well past his sell by date. Never cut the mustard with the top drivers and now he's oooooooooollllddddd!! Got the gift of the gab though, gotta grant him that. I reckon he's angling for a Tv. Job BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
I don't know if you can say that he has never cut the mustard with the top drivers as he has defeated three world champion teammates so far: Villeneuve, Hamilton, Alonso.
By sagi58
... he has defeated three world champion teammates so far: Villeneuve, Hamilton, Alonso.

And lived to tell it!! :thumbup:
Button announces 'retirement':

Jenson Button has confirmed he will not race in Formula One next season – but he could return in 2018.

"The McLaren driver confirmed he has signed a new two-year deal with the team as an ambassador next year but has an option to race for them the year after.

Button made his Formula One debut with Williams in 2000. He scored his first grand prix victory at the Hungaroring in 2006 and claimed the world championship in 2009 while driving for Brawn. He joined McLaren the year after.
The announcement clears the way for McLaren to promote Stoffel Vandoorne to the team’s race line-up alongside Fernando Alonso next year."

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/09/03/b ... nd-season/
I felt that Jenson should have walked away from McLaren and F1 two years ago when Ron Dennis was messing around with his contract; it surprises me that he would sign a 2 year deal as an effective development driver. Looking at the evidence from this year, McLaren/Honda have certainly improved but are still miles off the front of the grid, I don't see McLaren being a major force in 2017, maybe that is Jenson's logic, sit out 2017 and make a comeback in 2018, should Alonso elect to not renew his contract with McLaren.
And maybe it is Alonso insurance as well.

See our F1 related articles too!