FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By overboost
Has Kvyat made a fatal mistake? What of the rest of the drivers in the paddock, how many will survive in 2017?

Red Bull Racing has made a big decision on drivers for 2017

"RED Bull star Daniil Kvyat’s moment of madness at the start of the Russian Grand Prix will cost him his job in 2017, according to reports.

The Red Bull driver has already apologised to his team and rival Sebastian Vettel after smashing into the back of the Ferrari driver, who in turn made contact with Australian Daniel Ricciardo in a crazy start to the race in Sochi on Sunday night (AEST).

Ricciardo said after the race Kvyat owes him and a lot of other people an apology.

Kvyat’s future at Red Bull was reportedly fragile before the Russian race — and his costly error has now sealed his fate, according to long-time Formula 1 journalist James Allen.

Kvyat will hold discussions with the team about his future this week.

The 2013 GP3 champion replaced Vettel at Red Bull after just one season with Toro Rosso and outscored teammate Ricciardo last year.

However, it is thought Red Bull bosses are keen to promote teenage sensation Max Verstappen to the senior team as soon as possible as the Dutchman continues to enhance his reputation as one of the hottest properties in F1.

“The reality of the situation is that at the end of this season Red Bull will promote Max Verstappen to the team and the seat he is likely to occupy is Kvyat’s,” Allen wrote.

“That was already clear at the start of the season. Sources suggested that decision had been made.”

Allen reported there is still plenty of time for Kvyat to salvage his reputation this season, but believes Ricciardo has proven himself the top dog at Red Bull.

“Ricciardo is under contract to Red Bull and although he would be the first choice to replace (Kimi) Raikkonen at Ferrari, the previous history with Vettel means that such a move by Ferrari would destabilise their number one driver and they do not want to do that,” he wrote.

“Kvyat is not stupid, he’s seen the writing on the wall, but he is emotional.

“Emotions got the better of him yesterday, trying to make a big statement for Mother Russia in front of the nation’s most important figures and his family.

“There will be quite a bit of movement at the end of this season with question marks over the continued participation of Raikkonen, Massa and Button.

“Yesterday did not cost Kvyat his seat — that had almost certainly already gone. It is unlikely to have cost him a future in the sport, as he has plenty of opportunities to show what he can do between now and driver decision time around August/September.

“He can still save his career, but he has to learn from what happened yesterday and show he has learned, while not losing his aggressive edge. That’s his tightrope walk for the rest of the season.

“It’s not over yet for Daniil Kvyat.”

The 22-year-old was named the worst driver of the Russian Grand Prix on the Skysports.com 2016 Russian Grand Prix driver ratings after twice making contact with Vettel.

Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said: “Once is acceptable but to hit him twice is unacceptable”.

Kvyat was given a rank of 4/10.
"
http://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsport/ ... 4e06e052ec
By darwin dali
Maybe we need a poll for the worst driver of the race as well? :twisted:
Maldonado used to have a lock on that title, but he's gone, so now it's anybody's chance again :P
By myownalias
As the article stated, Kvyat was always going to make way for Verstappen, although, I am not sure why, Verstappen is just as much of a hot head and is likely to have similar incidents to Kvyat.

Button will retire at the end of the year, something I feel he should have done at the end of 2013, and that's coming from a long time Button fan. I expect Raikkonen to stay at Ferrari for another year alongside Vettel, he has been solid so far this season and Massa, I think that he is doing enough to win an extension at Williams.
By sagi58
I do understand and appreciate that there are a lot of young and upcoming drivers who aren't getting a "fair" chance at racing because of some "older" and more experienced drivers; but, IF a team is happy with their driver and vice versa, the decision is ultimately theirs to make.
By myownalias
The sad thing is that sometimes it comes down to money a driver brings with them, not their talent, sometimes driver changes happen for financial reasons, not performance reasons.
By overboost
^Well that was quick!

By overboost
It will be interesting to see how well Verstappen does in comparison to Ricciardo.
By myownalias
Yes and it's still 'their' decision to follow the money.

Is it a choice if done out of necessity? I guess the team could fold!

It will be interesting to see how well Verstappen does in comparison to Ricciardo.

I think it's a like for like swap really, both are young impetuous drivers who are likely to have incidents, Verstappen crashed into his own team mate in Bahrain when Sainz would not move aside and Verstappen could not overtake the Spaniard. Frankly I think that Red Bull have been harsh on Kvyat, he scored a podium for them just two weeks ago.
By overboost
I think they were just looking for a way to get Verstappen in the car. Kyvat served up a perfect excuse by ruining his teammates race with the accident.

And it is not unprecedented either, Dennis fired Montoya for running into Raikkonen at Indy 2006.
By darwin dali
Yes and it's still 'their' decision to follow the money.

Is it a choice if done out of necessity? I guess the team could fold!

I think it's a like for like swap really, both are young impetuous drivers who are likely to have incidents, Verstappen crashed into his own team mate in Bahrain when Sainz would not move aside and Verstappen could not overtake the Spaniard. Frankly I think that Red Bull have been harsh on Kvyat, he scored a podium for them just two weeks ago.

Like for like? Not really. I think MV has more talent, is a smarter driver and learns from his mistakes more quickly than DK.

See our F1 related articles too!