FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By stonemonkey
Even though there was loads of overtakes I was bored

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Me too, Grojean and Verstappen gave some interest though.
By myownalias
It's always been the case that tyres occasionally fail, Silverstone a couple of years ago, pirelli were quite rightly criticised but I don't think they deserve it this time although there does still seem to be some uncertainty over Rosbergs failure in P2. There was a little recklessness in Vettels driving after the failure and they were pushing the limits a bit so yeah, he should shut the **** up.

The way all the drivers were riding the curbs through Eau Rougue at very high speed, I'm surprised we didn't see more failures... I guess most teams realized the risk of failure hence why everyone but Ferrari elected to at least two stop. In any manufacturing process, from time to time, there will be defects, so failures will happen.

As someone that has followed F1 for close to 25 years, I would definitely say that today's drivers are cry babies compared to the 90s or even 2000s.
By sagi58
I really hate watching a race that's finished. I really hate knowing what will happen before it happens.
I really hate TSN for not having televised this race. I really hate apartment buildings where you need a
password to connect to WIFI. I really hate missing races because of circumstances beyond my control.

How's that for being a "cry baby"?? :irked:
By gdh
Yup pretty good. :rofl: I'll add too your grief as TSN did televise but on channel 452 (or close to it).
By myownalias
I really hate watching a race that's finished. I really hate knowing what will happen before it happens.
I really hate TSN for not having televised this race. I really hate apartment buildings where you need a
password to connect to WIFI. I really hate missing races because of circumstances beyond my control.

How's that for being a "cry baby"?? :irked:

Good enough for me... I'll place you in the second Ferrari seat alongside Vettel... :twisted:
By stonemonkey
.....I really hate apartment buildings where you need a
password to connect to WIFI. ......

You mean like someone else's WiFi?
By sagi58

Well... kinda... sorta...
I mean, shouldn't buildings have a "public" WiFi? :thumbup:
By stonemonkey

Well... kinda... sorta...
I mean, shouldn't buildings have a "public" WiFi? :thumbup:

Public buildings yes, apartment buildings I'm not so sure although some might but it might get a bit clogged up at times and security would be a bit of an issue.
Over here there's BT openzone or something, everyone who has BT WiFi has 10% of their bandwidth opened up to any other openzone customer, so if you're a customer and you're out and about then you can log in and use any other customers WiFi you're in range of. I've heard of people living in apartments and using their friends/family's log ins to access their neighbours openzone.
By myownalias
Was Spa that dull that we are now talking about free wi-fi...

But as we are talking about it... I really, really don't like the idea of paying for Internet to have other people use it just because they happen to have BT as well.
By sagi58
We are way overcharged for internet service and... cell phones!! :irked:

With all the income from advertising, both services should be paying us for using them!!! :yes:
By sagi58
Although I haven't copied the article in its entirety, Coulthard doesn't think Vettel should stay quiet:

David Coulthard wrote:">Vettel right to tackle Pirelli on tires

Sebastian Vettel's outburst following his 200mph tyre failure during Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix was the result of an underlying dissatisfaction among the drivers and teams with the product Pirelli has produced for Formula 1.
Vettel's late-race blowout came hot on the heels of a similar incident for Mercedes's Nico Rosberg during Friday practice at Spa, the German suffering the failure at around 190mph.

The spotlight has turned fully on Pirelli in the aftermath, but this episode is not merely about these two tyre failures....

ImageWhy was Vettel so tough on Pirelli?

ImageWhy are the drivers unhappy?

...there is an underlying unhappiness among the grand prix drivers with a whole range of aspects of the Pirelli tyre - its performance profile, its grip level, how you have to deal with it, its general robustness.

In Vettel's case, the tread came off the tyre and then the tyre failed. This is not the first time we have seen this with Pirelli, and its tyre does seem to be particularly sensitive to cuts or touches from front-wing endplates and so on.

ImageDrivers right to speak their minds

We don't yet know what caused the failure on Vettel's car.

Pirelli blamed wear, despite there being no evidence from his lap times that this had become excessive. But it is also possible that his tyre, like Rosberg's, had a cut, perhaps from exploring the limits of the track and running over kerbs, as all drivers do.

Vettel was not wrong to say what he did. A driver of his stature and experience should say what he feels and we should applaud anyone in the public eye taking a position based on passion and emotion as long as there are hard facts to back it up.

...Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso, who are also among those unhappy with the Pirelli tyres, even if they are not saying so publicly.

Beside that, the drivers have a point. F1 deserves the very best. Pirelli deserves to produce the very best. And the current F1 tyres are not that. Which is, as it happens, a point rival Michelin is making in its bid to take over the supply contract in 2017.

ImagePirelli in a difficult position

ImageHow will this crisis be solved?

Pirelli put out a statement late on Sunday night pointing out that two years ago it had suggested maximum mileage limits for each type of tyre used in a grand prix weekend.

These were not adopted by F1, it said, and had they been, Vettel's accident would not have happened.

Just as was the case when Pirelli initially blamed the teams and circuit for the series of tyre failures at the 2013 British Grand Prix, some will view that as quite an aggressive stance.

Vettel's tyre was well within Pirelli's maximum recommended life limits and Ferrari say they had been given no warning from their Pirelli engineer that they were taking any risks in running a one-stop strategy.

But perhaps tyre-mileage limits will end up being part of the solution that moves this situation on from the very sensitive impasse it has reached following Spa.

Certainly the FIA will get involved, and something has to be done on one level or another to mollify the drivers and reassure the teams.

The cause of the failure has to be analysed. If Pirelli feels there is an integrity issue with the tyre, they will have to set mileage limits...
By sagi58
:confused: FYI: I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Pirelli thread, the Vettel thread or here.
Maybe all of the above?

See our F1 related articles too!