FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By myownalias
I would say that the driver on double the salary should be able to outclass his lesser paid team mate without favors from the team, wouldn't you? If the more expensive driver is being beaten by his lesser paid team mate, I'd be looking at making shaking things up. Talking about what I would do, I'd have both drivers on the same base salary with performance bonuses, that'll give the drivers the incentive to push to the maximum.
By sagi58
Absolutely, the top paid driver should be worth his weight in gold!!
However, winning isn't only about talent, is it? There are way too many
variables to take into consideration when discussing salaries; however,
there are variables that are under my control, for example, when I design
my car, when I decide on race strategy, on pitstops, etc, I would consider
my "preferred" driver first, in order to get my money's worth.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do like your idea of both drivers being on the same base salary, etc...
In fact, I like it so much, if I were Ecclestone, I'd adopt that same idea
and hand out prize money dependant upon performance!!
By myownalias
Obviously a team could support one driver over another, but I think clear #1 and #2 drivers are a thing of the past, at least until one driver has such a lead over his team mate in the world drivers title race that putting all their eggs into a single basket is the best option for a title win.

Constructors prize money is based upon performance, the teams gets x amount of money according to their finishing position in the championship, as far as I know only Ferrari get money for simply turning up, which I disagree with wholeheartedly, all teams should be equal in terms of monies based upon performance.
By sagi58
I think the discrepancy in monies paid for finishing positions is just a bit too steep.
Sure, the first place team should get more; but, not to the point that it's little more
than a slap in the face to the last place team!

By the way, even if we don't agree with the extra monies Ferrari gets for racing,
you can't blame them for negotiating with Ecclestone for it. Just as we have to
accept that Mercedes refused to back down on the use of tokens, as that gives
them an advantage.
By myownalias
Sagi, I don't understand how you can condone Ferrari getting €100m every year for turning up, yet you complain about the winning constructor getting such a large amount of prize money compared to 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. That €100m goes a long away in development terms and also allows them to pay the likes of Vettel mega- €€€. I'd rather use that €100m if it is going begging between the bottom five teams, each getting €20m to help fund their campaign instead of the recent will they, won't they make it to the grid in Melbourne drama. And if we are talking about teams using their power within the sport to veto certain things that will maintain or give them an advantage, Ferrari have had their fair share of those moments.
Woohoo! I get paid more than a F1 driver*

*the least well paid one... [emoji14]

By the way, even if we don't agree with the extra monies Ferrari gets for racing,
you can't blame them for negotiating with Ecclestone for it. ......

The same goes for whatever employees negotiate with their employers and drivers are just employees too.
By sagi58
Sagi, I don't understand how you can condone Ferrari getting €100m every year for turning up, yet you complain about the winning constructor getting such a large amount of prize money compared to 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc. That €100m goes a long away in development terms and also allows them to pay the likes of Vettel mega- €€€. I'd rather use that €100m if it is going begging between the bottom five teams, each getting €20m to help fund their campaign instead of the recent will they, won't they make it to the grid in Melbourne drama. And if we are talking about teams using their power within the sport to veto certain things that will maintain or give them an advantage, Ferrari have had their fair share of those moments.

You're right, for most people there seems to be no "good" reason for Ferrari to be getting all that money for
showing up; but, that's been negotiated between FOM and Ferrari, based on Ferrari's world-wide popularity.

Arguably, the Constructor's money is divvied up, also based on a negotiated agreement; but, it sounds like
there is more than enough money in the FOM coffers to keep the money at the top the same, whilst boosting
the prize money given to everyone else to a more acceptable level.

As for Ferrari's veto, my understanding is that it was limited and that their rivals knew about it and accepted it.
By sagi58

you can't blame them for negotiating with Ecclestone for it. ......

The same goes for whatever employees negotiate with their employers and drivers are just employees too.

No argument there. My point was merely that the higher-paid driver is obviously "preferred" to some extent.
By myownalias

You're right, for most people there seems to be no "good" reason for Ferrari to be getting all that money for
showing up; but, that's been negotiated between FOM and Ferrari, based on Ferrari's world-wide popularity.

Arguably, the Constructor's money is divvied up, also based on a negotiated agreement; but, it sounds like
there is more than enough money in the FOM coffers to keep the money at the top the same, whilst boosting
the prize money given to everyone else to a more acceptable level.

As for Ferrari's veto, my understanding is that it was limited and that their rivals knew about it and accepted it.

I'm not sure that constructors prize money is divvied by negotiation as we should (in theory) not know who will win the big prize at the end of the year. To me Ferrari getting a €100m headstart is like Manchester United starting the season with 21 points because they are the most popular Premier League team worldwide.
By sagi58
I'm not sure that constructors prize money is divvied by negotiation as we should (in theory) not know who will win the big prize at the end of the year. To me Ferrari getting a €100m headstart is like Manchester United starting the season with 21 points because they are the most popular Premier League team worldwide.

So, FOM determines who gets what, without any input from the teams? At all? :banghead:
That's nothing short of ridiculous!! No wonder Ferrari negotiated!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any team/athlete starting any season with points isn't the same as getting money, is it?
I mean, just because they get extra money, that hasn't helped Ferrari, these past few years,
has it? Nor has it allowed them to influence the rules regarding any number of changes we
have seen recently (i.e., in-season testing, engines, in-season development). As a matter of
fact, Ferrari's "supposed" veto hasn't given them any power over these aspects, either.

p.s. please pardon my ignorance when it comes to Soccer/Football; but, is Manchester
the team that everyone else loves to hate? :thumbup:
By myownalias
Whether it's points or money, it boils down to the same thing... an unfair advantage that no-one else gets... even if Manchester United started with 21pts, it doesn't mean they'll win the league. As for Manchester United being the team everyone loves to hate... I'm a Liverpool fan, so it's ingrained into my soul to dislike United with a vengeance.
By sagi58
I hear you!!

p.s. love the honesty!! :rofl:

...As for Manchester United being the team everyone loves to hate... I'm a Liverpool fan, so it's ingrained into my soul to dislike United with a vengeance.

See our F1 related articles too!