FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By Peter Smit
I remember in 2009 the argument about the blown diffuser that Brawn had and Ferrari, McLaren didn't have it and they appealed to FIA to have Brawn remove the advantage. In the end FIA said no diffuser stays and they all tried to make theirs and couldn't get it as good as that Brawn built, but one thing Ferrari and McLaren did not threaten to quit, it seems each season there is always one with an advantage of some kind, build a better car, it was Redbull for 4 years and now its Mercedes for 2 years. We all wait to see what happens, but everyone at the moment is putting pressure on Mercedes to change their engine and level the playing field, doesn't seem fair why not Redbull level the playing field all those years they build a good car???
By sagi58
... everyone at the moment is putting pressure on Mercedes to change their engine and level the playing field, doesn't seem fair why not Redbull level the playing field all those years they build a good car???

I think the one difference is that there wasn't an engine freeze in effect when Red Bull was winning.
Yes, I do understand that everyone is playing within the same rules/regulations and yes, Mercedes
has built a better engine, no doubt about that; however, if the other teams were allowed to keep
developing all of last year, instead of twiddling their thumbs whilst watching Mercedes dominate,
I'm not sure Mercedes would still be this far ahead.
By myownalias
I believe that engines were homologated before the change to V6T Hybrid power, so they were not allowed to make changes to the engine unless they could prove that the changes were safety related. I'm not 100% sure of this, so I don't present it as a fact, I'm sure someone will have the required knowledge to either confirm my thoughts or shoot me down!
By myownalias
The latest news is that Renault may be looking at quitting F1 if it doesn't suit the companies business needs, which from a business point of view makes perfect sense, it's not like the brand sells sports cars, infact I would say they are moving away from sports cars more than ever. And Christian Horner is claiming that Red Bull might be forced out of F1 because of it.

This is the problem with having car makers and brands running teams, as soon is it no longer suits their business needs, they're off, just look at Honda (although back now), Toyota and BMW who all quit the sport. I believe the team needs more privateer teams, teams that live for racing, not live for the exposure/return on investment. Honda are back in F1 now, but will they be here in three years if they are not successful, again like Renault, Honda are moving towards eco-boxes more than sporty vehicles.
By darwin dali
The latest news is that Renault may be looking at quitting F1 if it doesn't suit the companies business needs, which from a business point of view makes perfect sense, it's not like the brand sells sports cars, infact I would say they are moving away from sports cars more than ever. And Christian Horner is claiming that Red Bull might be forced out of F1 because of it.

This is the problem with having car makers and brands running teams, as soon is it no longer suits their business needs, they're off, just look at Honda (although back now), Toyota and BMW who all quit the sport. I believe the team needs more privateer teams, teams that live for racing, not live for the exposure/return on investment. Honda are back in F1 now, but will they be here in three years if they are not successful, again like Renault, Honda are moving towards eco-boxes more than sporty vehicles.

And on the other hand, we hear rumors about RB getting closer to becoming an engine manufacturer themselves...
By myownalias

And on the other hand, we hear rumors about RB getting closer to becoming an engine manufacturer themselves...

And there is also talk of Franz Tost selling Toro Rosso to Renault... will any of these things happen?
By Peter Smit
Red Bull and Renault kiss and make up
Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko says that the Constructor's row with engine manufacturer Renault is over and that the two parties have agreed to work together to solve their problems
"We have met and decided on how we will work during the remainder of the season," Marko has been quoted as telling Austrian broadcaster Servus TV.

"We do not have to love each other, but we do need an engine that works.

"Under the current regulations it is impossible to close the gap to the leaders, but in the past we got used to winning even though our engines were not the most powerful.

"We can all see what Ferrari has managed to do. According to Renault engineers, we will reach this level by the end of the year and once again be able to fight at the top.

"It was decided to postpone the debate and focus on working together to get us out of this situation."

http://www.planet-f1.com/driver/3213/40748/Red-Bull-and-Renault-kiss-and-make-up?

Renault expects Red Bull success ‘sooner or later’
Remi Taffin, Renault’s F1 operations director, said he can understand Red Bull’s frustration.

“It was a setback for Red Bull. They’re not used to having their cars so far back,” he told the French broadcaster Canal Plus.

“But we have had only the second race. In neither race has Red Bull been able to show what is really possible, and in Australia the blame was partly ours.

“At Sepang it was better from our side, and we got a taste of what to expect from Red Bull-Renault,” added Taffin.

“As for us, the season actually began in Malaysia. By China, Red Bull will have solved its problems, and then the fun begins.

“Of course I am not saying that we will win the race, but we have a lot of potential for development, both on the engine and the chassis side.

“We did not become four times world champion in a row by chance. Red Bull is good at developing a car, and it will pay off sooner or later,” he added.

http://www.inautonews.com/renault-expects-red-bull-success-sooner-or-later
By elfinitty
^^ To be honest,I thought the title including "kiss and make up" wasn't real.

Reading the article I realized how amazing it is in F1 that teams can go from the bottom to the top and vice versa,4 years ago situations of RBR and Mercedes was the opposite of this year

... everyone at the moment is putting pressure on Mercedes to change their engine and level the playing field, doesn't seem fair why not Redbull level the playing field all those years they build a good car???

I think the one difference is that there wasn't an engine freeze in effect when Red Bull was winning.
Yes, I do understand that everyone is playing within the same rules/regulations and yes, Mercedes
has built a better engine, no doubt about that; however, if the other teams were allowed to keep
developing all of last year, instead of twiddling their thumbs whilst watching Mercedes dominate,
I'm not sure Mercedes would still be this far ahead.

This is so true,I thought the exact thing when RBR was dominating in 2011.I don't know about the pros of this rule but making it less competitive is definitely a con
By darwin dali
Renault are close to announcing their future in Formula One. There has been much debate over the French engine manufacturers response to finding themselves behind the curve on developing the new V6 Turbo Hybrid engine they pushed the FIA hard to introduce.

Both Renault and Red Bull have been at public loggerheads over the performance of their power unit, and both parties have threatened to quit F1.

Despite being offered the opportunity to buy Faenza based Toro Rosso, TJ13 has learned that Renault’s historic links with the Enstone team has become the focus of their future F1 aspirations.

Genii investors in Lotus have refused to fund the team further and Gerard Lopez, once ever present at F1 race weekends, has been conspicuous by his absence this season in the F1 paddock.

The Lotus team is facing a creditor winding up order at present, which could see Renault play the role of savior and at the same time receive a heavily discounted acquisition price back into team ownership.

Red Bull billionaire owner – Dietrich Mateschitz – earlier this year offered Renault the opportunity to buy Torro Rosso for around $300m.

TJ13 has also repeatedly reported that Red Bull Racing have been developing a facility at their Milton Keynes base which will facilitate F1 engine production.

Both Renault and Red Bull have apparently decided the end of their partnership is nigh – and it is now a matter of time as to when they announce the end of their current engine deal.

Red Bull are committed to purchase Renault engines in 2016, however if Renault complete the deal for Lotus this will mean another year of ‘second best’ treatment for the quadruple winning F1 constructor.

Staff in Milton Keynes are said to be expecting an imminent announcement as to the future direction of their employer’s F1 ambitions.
By 1Lemon
I'd actually love to see Red Bull making their own engines, because at least that means more commitment for a longer period in F1, can't go through that level of investment then just up and leave.
By darwin dali
I'd actually love to see Red Bull making their own engines, because at least that means more commitment for a longer period in F1, can't go through that level of investment then just up and leave.

And they could only bitch to themselves about the engine :P
By 1Lemon

And they could only bitch to themselves about the engine :P

I just imagine they get a boss of the Engine section and press conferences are just them and Horner bitching at eachother
By myownalias
The last I heard was a possible deal in 2017 between Red Bull and Aston Martin running a rebadged Mercedes power unit. That sounds much more feasible than Red Bull making their own engine, I don't believe Dietrich Mateschitz wants to make any serious long term commitment to F1, plus seeing the Honda debacle has probably scared teams away from going it alone.
By 1Lemon
The last I heard was a possible deal in 2017 between Red Bull and Aston Martin running a rebadged Mercedes power unit. That sounds much more feasible than Red Bull making their own engine, I don't believe Dietrich Mateschitz wants to make any serious long term commitment to F1, plus seeing the Honda debacle has probably scared teams away from going it alone.

Aston Martin CEO and Toto Wolff said they wouldn't re-badge a Merc engine. However some things to mention:

1. The boss of Aston Martin was the same guy that brokered the deal between Infiniti and Red Bull
  2. Mercedes own 5% of Aston Martin
  3. Aston Martin CEO was spotted at Red Bull, but there are also rumours of them wanting to get involved with a team already in bed with Merc, the rumour is they are very interested in Williams. Aston Martin Williams Martini Racing. Yes.

See our F1 related articles too!