FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Vettel runner-up

Sebastian splits the two Mercedes at the flag. Kimi sixth

Monaco, 24 May

Sebastian Vettel finished the Monaco Grand Prix in second place. The German spent all 78 laps in the slipstream of Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes, managing to get ahead of Lewis Hamilton, who led for the first 65 laps, until he made a second pit stop. Vettel crossed the line 4 seconds behind the winner, having run the race at a very competitive pace. Raikkonen also fought hard all race long, showing a strong pace. This is Vettel’s fifth consecutive podium from six starts in “red.”

By myownalias
Vettel got uber lucky being handed second place, but what makes it interesting is that if Vettel was not held up by the Manor Marussia in his first pit stop, Vettel could have been ahead of Rosberg and possibly have won the race. But would Mercedes have made the same decision if Vettel was running in second place, I think probably not.
By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Vettel: Fighting the pressure

Sebastian Vettel:

“Today we took everything we could and it is nice to end up in second place. I tried to be aggressive on the start, but I couldn’t get the second position straight away. We had a good pace and we put the Mercedes under pressure, closing the gap on the pit stop and not letting them get away at any point, but obviously it was not enough. We tried the undercut but they replied a lap after and unfortunately they came out in front.

In the last laps Lewis with the Supersoft tires behind me was putting a lot of pressure, it was really difficult because for some laps my tires were really cold and I was struggling to make sure I stay on track, I was focused on having good exits. There is still something we need to understand and to learn, if it’s colder in qualifying on one lap it is difficult to get the tires work; this is something we need to improve.

I want to thank the guys in Maranello , the engine was fine and very good on the straights so that we were safe staying in front. In all areas there’s a lot of work going on because we want more, we keep our feet on the ground knowing where we want to go and were we want to be. I’m very happy, it was a great race and the team gave 100%. In Canada the track layout is totally different, but we will try to be competitive there as well.”

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Raikkonen: No prize for better pace

Kimi Raikkonen:

“We knew that after starting from sixth position it would have been a difficult race. I was all the time behind slower cars and there was no way to overtake them even if I had a much better pace. At the the pit stop we managed to pass one Red Bull, we gained one place but we lost it for a stupid reason. I was following my normal line when Ricciardo hit my rear tire and pushed me wide, regaining the position. It’s not very clear what you are allowed to do, it’s really odd but there’s nothing we can do.

For the next races we have to make a better job overall to make sure we get tires working and things sorted out without mistakes on Saturday in qualifying. This will make our life a lot easier on Sunday. Now we go to Canada a bit happier overall but it’s too early to make predictions, we have similar tires but the layout of the track is completely different, so let’s wait and see.”

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Arrivabene: We were smart

Maurizio Arrivabene:

“Congratulations to Seb for holding Hamilton back in the final laps of the race. It was no easy job because Lewis had super-soft tires, while Seb’s Primes were low on pressure because of the laps he had done behind a very slow safety car. In the key moment of the race Iñaki Rueda, our race strategist, told everybody to keep calm and stay out on track, while the Mercedes came in for fresh tires. I am aware of the fact that we were lucky, our competitors are intelligent and very strong, but we outsmarted them this time.

As for Kimi, he has a problem with qualifying, because he’s always strong on race pace. When Ricciardo got past him, I was determined to have a hard look at the rules, but then I was told that now the move is allowed when the driver in front opens up the line and the one behind manages to put at least on wheel inside . So we respect the Stewards’ decision.

In the next races we’ll not be standing still, we have some developments in the pipeline, but if luck comes again, we are prepared to take advantage. Anyway, so far we’ve always been on the podium this year, and the gap is not massive. Maybe on some tracks we will experience the same issues that we had in Barcelona, but on other circuits we can be stronger”.

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">All about the rain

A storm hits second free practice

Montreal, 5 June

The action on the Montreal circuit in the second free practice session for the Canadian Grand Prix only lasted a little over 20 minutes, as a storm arrived exactly as predicted by the forecasters.

Sebastian Vettel managed 19 laps in the brief dry period, setting a time of 1.16.304, the second fastest of the session, in his SF15-T, fitted with the Supersoft compound. In the other Ferrari his team-mate Kimi Raikkonen finished right behind him in third spot with a 1.16.310, completing 20 laps running first on the softest compound before switching to a new set of Softs. 1.15.988 was the fastest time of the session, set by Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes.

:banghead: ooops: not posted chronologically!!
Last edited by sagi58 on 07 Jun 15, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.
By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Kimi Raikkonen - Just as we expected

Kimi Raikkonen:

“Today everything worked as we expected, we went on with our program trying as always to improve and we are quite happy with the way things worked. The weather was a bit tricky: the rain was expected in the afternoon, then we had to change a bit our program and decided certain things to be done in the morning. It’s hard to say where we are, because we did not get enough running, but it was all fine. It’s only Friday and we have to wait and see. There’s still a lot of work to be done to do well in qualifying, for sure here is easier compared to Monaco, but it will depend on many things, the weather conditions first of all. Tomorrow we’ll see where we are and then we’ll do the best over the weekend.”

:banghead: ooops!! not posted chronologically!!
Last edited by sagi58 on 07 Jun 15, 14:30, edited 1 time in total.
By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Sebastian Vettel - A different Friday

Sebastian Vettel:

“The rain reminded of me the race on Sunday four years ago, back then we had also massive rain for a long time, it was a bit like that today. It’s a shame that we couldn’t get out anymore, but we did the maximum to prepare for Saturday and Sunday in a very short amount of time, I think we had only just half an hour. We didn’t have so much running this morning, but everything went according to plan. This morning we had a look on a bit more fuel, trying to get an idea for the race: we didn’t know when the rain would come this afternoon, this is maybe the reason why we didn’t run so much like the others. About my race pace, I haven’t seen much of the others yet but the car felt right, now we have to see where we are. I think we can still improve. I am not entirely happy with the runs I had, but I think anybody was with the short amount of time we had today.”

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">A scrappy session

Kimi and Seb end free practice in second and eighth places

Montreal, 6 June

The final free practice session for the Canadian Grand Prix ended with Nico Rosberg’s Mercedes topping the time sheet with a 1.15.660, ahead of Kimi Raikkonen in the Ferrari, who posted a 1.16.233 and Romain Grosjean who lapped in 1.16.772 in the Lotus.

In the other SF15-T, Sebastian Vettel was eighth, courtesy of a lap in 1.17.197. The session was red flagged after Felipe Nasr ended up in the wall at Turn 12 and then again when Jenson Button parked his car at the side of the track, with just a few minutes remaining. The team completed the programme that had been left half done yesterday because of the rain and also carried out qualifying simulations, in preparation for the session that gets underway at 1pm local time, to decide the grid order for tomorrow’s race.

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Raikkonen third

Montreal, June 6

Qualifying produced mixed fortunes for Scuderia Ferrari today in Montreal. Kimi Raikkonen secured third place with a lap in 1.15.014 at the end of a very closely contested session held under sunny skies at the Gilles Villeneuve circuit. Pole went to Lewis Hamilton, who produced a 1.14.393 in his Mercedes.

Sebastian Vettel was out of luck this afternoon in Canada. The German was stopped with an electrical problem at the start of Q1. The engineers managed to get him out on track with a few minutes remaining, but Sebastian encountered further issues with the electrical system, which meant he could do no better than 16th place with a time of 1.17.344.

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Kimi Raikkonen: We learned from our mistakes

Kimi Raikkonen:

“The car has been feeling good all weekend. We had no problems, apart from the one Sebastian had in qualifying, and everything ran smoothly. We have been making sure that all the small details were correct, we have learned from the past difficult races how small things can make a big change and enable you to get the result you want .We still have some work ahead, obviously we are not happy to finish third in the grid but in the race we’ll try to do better.

It’s hard to say what will happen tomorrow but at least we did a better qualifying than normal and we’ll be in a better position for the race. So far it has been ok but tomorrow is the big day. I expect that we can be stronger and challenge for a competitive race . The weather has been tricky these days, so it will be a bit of uncertain tomorrow. Tonight we are going to analyse a lot of data and will try to make the right decisions”.

By sagi58
In spite of his starting position, Vettel ain't calling it quits :clap: :

Staff wrote:">Sebastian Vettel: I can still score points

Sebastian Vettel:

“Right from the start we didn’t have the full power available, so when I went out for the first run we tried to fix the problem, but we couldn’t. Due to the lack of power we couldn’t make it further. For sure we have to investigate but I don’t think that there’s anything to do with the engine.

I think it has more to do with the electronical side, but I am confident that we can fix the problem in time for tomorrow’s race. We have plenty of tyres and anything can happen. We have a strong car and a strong pace, so I should be able to score good points. The problem we had this morning in FP3 was completely unrelated.”

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Raikkonen and Vettel finish fourth and fifth

At the end of an eventful 70-lap race, the two Ferraris made it to the top 5.

Montreal, 7 June

Kimi Raikkonen was fourth past the chequered flag at the end of the Canadian Grand Prix, finishing 5 seconds ahead of Sebastian Vettel. The Finn was third for much of the race, until he spun at Turn 10 on lap 28, handing the position to Valtteri Bottas.

Sebastian Vettel put in a gritty drive, starting from 18th on the grid. The German worked his way up to fifth at the end and at times he was the quickest man out on track. The race was won by Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes while Vettel and Raikkonen lie third and fourth in the Drivers’ Championship classification.

By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Sebastian Vettel: Great fun, great recovery

“It was an entertaining race and I had a good recovery, but obviously there was not much more we could have done. In the opening laps I was not very happy with myself, I was very aggressive but I could not find the gaps, I wanted to go crazy but there was no room, so I had to be patient and it’s a shame because these are the moments when if you are lucky you can gain easlily five, six , seven or eight seconds in total race time. It did not happen so we had to fight back afterwards, but the pace was good, I felt happy in the car and especially toward the end the speed kept coming. I lost time at the first pit-stop and I am not sure it was totally on me, something went wrong at the back of the car, but the guys have done a super job so far and they shouldn’t be blamed if sometimes things go a bit slower. About the move on Hulkenberg, I noticed that I was already ahead of him on the outside, and I think he braked too late and could not make the corner. We did our best today and I am quite content with 5th, but it’s a bit of a shame because around here there is a very nice podium and without the penalty I think we could have had a shot at it.”
By sagi58
Staff wrote:">Kimi Raikkonen - A good start to an average end

“The result of today is not ideal, we expected more than what we got in the end. My start was pretty good but then I did not have enough speed to go through and try to pass the Mercedes at the first corner. The tires were working pretty much ok, but in this kind of circuit fuel saving plays a big part and this obviously limited our speed today. My spin is exactly the same story of last year, I had no problem in any of the sessions during the weekend, but for some reason today in both the outlaps something odd happened with the throttle, and I could not control it . It’s a very unfortunate thing. Then we tried to recover from that but we found ourselves on different tactics than the Williams. Overall we had a pretty good weekend, we definitely improved in certain areas but of course this is not the result that I was expecting this morning. We’ll keep on working and improving things.”

See our F1 related articles too!