FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Who expected Raikkonen to finish ahead of Vettel? I, for one certainly did not, Vettel had a very scrappy race overall and seemed to lose the pace after failing behind Bottas due to his nose change after going off track at the final turn. Hamilton really didn't put a foot wrong, even managed his brake issues during the final lap. Decent result for Ricciardo even with his spectacular blowup at the chequered flag, another seventh place for Grosjean and another retirement for Maldonado, although this time it looks like mechanical failure. Rosberg looked like he was on a mission in Bahrain, overtaking Vettel three times and being super aggressive, he looked a much better driver despite the result than in the previous three races.
The following is from a sidebar in this article:

Laurence Edmondson wrote:">Lewis Hamilton wins Bahrain GP ahead of hard-charging Kimi Raikkonen

Story of the race

ImageShock:
Seeing four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel uncharacteristically struggling throughout the race with several off-track moments, including one which cost him third and fourth.

ImageShocker:
Daniel Ricciardo's engine going up in smoke as he crossed the line - another negative Renault headline after a strong drive to sixth.

ImageBest overtake:
Nico Rosberg's early pass on Kimi Raikkonen was a late lunge into Turn 1, but the way he held off the Finn through Turn 4 was spectacular - aggression which has been lacking from Rosberg for too long. Felipe Nasr on Nico Hulkenberg on lap 35 also deserves special praise.

ImageBest lap:
Raikkonen's entire last stint was brilliant, pumping out quick lap after quick lap to reel in Rosberg.

ImageDriver of the day:
Rosberg showed fight we haven't seen in a long while but he should share this award with Raikkonen, who returned to the podium with a super drive.

I just read MOA's summary of the race on his blog and it got me thinking!

I know it seems like Ferrari had a "good" day, finishing 2nd and 4th, considering where they were last year;
but, I now believe they could had done better!! Vettel's "biggest" problem was attributable to his own error
since he ended up losing so much time thanks to his front wing. Kimi's, on the other hand was a "team" error,
because they could have and probably should have pitted him earlier. That would have given him the "extra"
lap he needed to possibly get closer to Hamilton.

NOT that anyone can guarantee what could or would have happened; but, the possibilities are interesting!! :thumbup:
You're right!! :blush:

but... it shoulda been 4th!! :banghead:

Why should it have been fourth? The error was Vettel's and errors are part of any sport, Bottas did well to keep the Ferrari behind.

Why should it have been fourth? The error was Vettel's and errors are part of any sport, Bottas did well to keep the Ferrari behind.

EXACTLY!! I am NOT taking anything away from Bottas, as he drove a great defensive few laps ahead of Vettel!!
But, Vettel should not have been in that position, in the first place!! Yes, mistakes are part of anything in life;
but, where one mistake in a race is understandable, and maybe two are defensible, three is just too many. :nono:

EXACTLY!! I am NOT taking anything away from Bottas, as he drove a great defensive few laps ahead of Vettel!!
But, Vettel should not have been in that position, in the first place!! Yes, mistakes are part of anything in life;
but, where one mistake in a race is understandable, and maybe two are defensible, three is just too many. :nono:

Everyone has a bad day from time to time, I have had days where everything that can go wrong, does...
...Everyone has a bad day from time to time, I have had days where everything that can go wrong, does...

Of course!! You are right... My own disappointment comes from how well Vettel placed in Qualifying.
Would never have expected him to finish in 5th... Check my picks, I had him down for the win!! sigh....

See our F1 related articles too!