FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Dedicated to technical discussion...
Hi there,
I am doing an important review on Red Bull and was wondering whether someone could provide me an insight as to what separates the Red Bull car from the rest of the grid?
Any advice would be much appreciated.What is the technical aspect of the car that separates it?
Many thanks,
Jamie
Well, first, their cars carry the numbers 1 and 2. And second they have a very bold graphic of a red bull on the side. An untrained eye may be confused by a very similar car also sporting a red bull but this red bull is Italian, so it's called Toro Rosso. And it's usually a lap behind the Red Bull cars towards the end of the race. Hope that clears things up for you.

Oh yeah, as far as the technical aspects, if we knew, we'd be working for an F1 team making ten times what we earn today. :hehe:
Hi there,
I am doing an important review on Red Bull and was wondering whether someone could provide me an insight as to what separates the Red Bull car from the rest of the grid?Any advice would be much appreciated.What is the technical aspect of the car that separates it?
Many thanks,
Jamie

To be fair, until this weekend assuming you're talking about this year, and assuming by 'separates the Red Bull car from the rest...' you mean what makes it better, we simply don't know that anything does... more sensible to ask the question after the first race if it looks like the car is fundamentally better than the rest.
A simple answer is... small aero gains in every area of the car that adds up to the tiniest bit of extra speed per lap...

Of course that is assuming this year's car is still the quickest :wink:

Last year you could argue they had the best blown diffuser system which made the difference, but no one, no one (not even Newey or any designer) can really say for sure either way. I don't particularly agree with that notion myself.
Last year you could argue they had the best blown diffuser system which made the difference, but no one, no one (not even Newey or any designer) can really say for sure either way. I don't particularly agree with that notion myself.

I made a prophecy that more or less immediately proved to be wrong there! :doh: The blown diffuser effect (or lack thereof) is now ultra-apparent... Red Bull and Ferrari were around TWO seconds slower than they were last year in quali here...

I made a prophecy that more or less immediately proved to be wrong there! :doh: The blown diffuser effect (or lack thereof) is now ultra-apparent... Red Bull and Ferrari were around TWO seconds slower than they were last year in quali here...

Those are the good kinds... imagine waiting around years to find out you were wrong. I'd rather know right away! :yes:

Not that straight forward. Remember that they are on a different tyre this year as well........

Until you could get the comparative differences from Pirelli, you don't know how much is due to the EBD "ban".
I thought I heard they were leaving the soft tires about the same, and bringing the harder ones closer to the soft. Additionally, all rear tires are 6% wider to help compensate for the loss of EBD. So if anything, i'd think this year's tires ought to be grippier, right?
I've heard varying things about the tyres, some have said they have slightly less grip, others the same... but i don't think tyres would account for much of that two second deficit, not more than a couple of tenths if that! There'll be more data to compare with from Sepang if it stays dry.
I've heard varying things about the tyres, some have said they have slightly less grip, others the same... but i don't think tyres would account for much of that two second deficit, not more than a couple of tenths if that! There'll be more data to compare with from Sepang if it stays dry.

Ok compound may be the same, but does anyone know if they tweaked the construction?

For example a 6% wider rear tyre makes a big difference. When Michelin had to reduce their front tyre tread by 12mm in 2005, the teams noticed a difference. Little things add up to a lot of lap time in this game........

See our F1 related articles too!