FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
By stonemonkey
Improvise adapt and overcome

I'll wait for the battery boffins to do that and bring the charging times down to be comparable with filling the tank up.
By What's Burning?
Solar is all well and good, but not for nothing, I do need gas for my P car. :blush:
By Jabberwocky
Have you seen that episode of 5th gear where they run a car on coffee beans.
By sagi58

What a coincidence!! So do I!!
Especially today ((Hallowe'en))!! :screwy:
By stonemonkey

Can be done off coffee waste, so you can have your morning coffee then drive to work for free.

You might need this though, and a couple of refills

By stonemonkey
Solar is all well and good, but not for nothing, I do need gas for my P car. :blush:

The US navy are working on synthesising jet fuel from seawater onboard their carriers, i assume fuel suitable for cars could be synthesised too. Power the plant from solar and there you have it, solar powered, carbon neutral ICEs. Efficiency through the whole process and production volume might be problematic however.
By What's Burning?

The US navy are working on synthesising jet fuel from seawater onboard their carriers, i assume fuel suitable for cars could be synthesised too. Power the plant from solar and there you have it, solar powered, carbon neutral ICEs. Efficiency through the whole process and production volume might be problematic however.

Which would be ironic since the carriers are nuclear powered. :hehe:
By stonemonkey
The carriers are but a land based plant needn't be. Im not sure if the navy are looking into it for environmental reasons but more for the convenience of not having to transport and deliver jet fuel to the carriers.

Seems like there's others with the same idea.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 184918.htm
By spankyham

For me there's great attraction in a plan that grows fuel offshore. powered by the sun, fed on our cities waste water and CO2. Well done by the NASA team proving it and even better they are publishing their work as open source. >>Yet another good article here<<.

Below is a little technical but still readable :)

[pdfview]http://miascuderia.com/media/biofuel/omega.pdf[/pdfview]
By What's Burning?
Solar power is power really, so let's keep the discussion based on what the definition of solar is today. By the definition of solar powered kerosene, we could also say that crude oil is solar power generated.

Today we can generate electricity cheap and efficiently and tomorrow we'll be able to generate it cheaper and more efficiently. We can get lost in the discussion of running an electric cord down to the car if you live in a third floor apartment but that's not really what the discussion is about. Whether it's convenient for you or not, it's still the best way, today. Everything else that's been shared is still just an experimental proof of concept with extremely limited functionality.

Like solar, if you build a better mouse trap... The reason we're even having the discussion is because solar is the better mousetrap today, I'll be the first one supporting the better mousetrap tomorrow when it shows up.

1 reduce emissions dramatically
2 remove the dependency on fossil fuels
3 have an inexhaustible primary source of power
4 the capacity to meet ALL of the world's energy demands in the year 2050, today.
By What's Burning?
Plus how many people would splice a feed off it before it hits the floor lol

Back in the day, you'd see a lot of that going on with cable. :blush:
By Jabberwocky
I may or may not know someone who did the same to a public pay phonr
By stonemonkey
Solar power is power really, so let's keep the discussion based on what the definition of solar is today. By the definition of solar powered kerosene, we could also say that crude oil is solar power generated.

Today we can generate electricity cheap and efficiently and tomorrow we'll be able to generate it cheaper and more efficiently. We can get lost in the discussion of running an electric cord down to the car if you live in a third floor apartment but that's not really what the discussion is about. Whether it's convenient for you or not, it's still the best way, today. Everything else that's been shared is still just an experimental proof of concept with extremely limited functionality.

Like solar, if you build a better mouse trap... The reason we're even having the discussion is because solar is the better mousetrap today, I'll be the first one supporting the better mousetrap tomorrow when it shows up.

4 the capacity to meet ALL of the world's energy demands in the year 2050, today.

You were the one saying you want fuel for your ICE, i was just pointing out that could be provided from solar energy. Whether its hydrogen, hydrocarbons, thermal storage, batteries or whatever, its just a way of storing energy which is something that will be required and is a challenge at present if our reliance on solar energy is to increase.
By What's Burning?

You were the one saying you want fuel for your ICE, i was just pointing out that could be provided from solar energy. Whether its hydrogen, hydrocarbons, thermal storage, batteries or whatever, its just a way of storing energy which is something that will be required and is a challenge at present if our reliance on solar energy is to increase.

I need 93 octane gasoline! Cheap! I'm a proponent of solar only cause I am forced to use oil to heat my home and I like cheap gas. :blush: LOL

See our F1 related articles too!