FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...

Private Lounges for engine manufacturers?

Yes
31%
No
62%
Other (Please state fully in your comment)
8%
By RyRy
Hi Guys,

I personally find the whole "The MiaScuderia Lounge" a little bit wrong, unjust and unfair because this is supposed to be an open forum about all sorts of subjects, I do however understand to an extent that Ferrari fans may want a private forum. I would like to make a suggestion, a proposition that would mean it's a little more open but only just and also gives everyone their own private home. I think the best thing would be to have engine manufacturer groups instead of just having a Ferrari lounge.

We have three Engine providers at the comment and fortunately we have three colors that don't clash with eachother.

• Ferrari = Red
  • Mercedes = Silver
  • Renault = Yellow/Gold

However next year we have Honda who are also Silver, so I would suggest new Engine manufactures get a color that isn't currently in use.

• Honda = Blue (As it's a free color)

Remember, Green and Pink are in use by Moderators and Admins respectively.

Obviously there are a lot of members and the initial setup of the lounges would be a little bit of a pain so I would suggest having a topic where users can say "I'd like to join the Mercedes group" but once you're in a group you can't leave until a new season starts.
By CookinFlat6
I like your thinking Ry :thumbup:

, maybe take it another step and integrate the fantasy F1 league by having the individual scores averaged for each group and counted as an inter private lounge competition. That way the Tifosi can keeop their safehouse and yet get involved in the uderlying reasons for a public forum and a sport

We can find out which group of fans has least knowledge by a mile
I'll chime in and say that it's (mia scuderia lounge) not private, it's still part of the general forum. Anyone that wants in can enter, you just have to abide by their laws of physics.
By RyRy
I like your thinking Ry :thumbup:

, maybe take it another step and integrate the fantasy F1 league by having the individual scores averaged for each group and counted as an inter private lounge competition. That way the Tifosi can keeop their safehouse and yet get involved in the uderlying reasons for a public forum and a sport

We can find out which group of fans has least knowledge by a mile

Indeed that would be a good idea too, great addition.

I'll chime in and say that it's (mia scuderia lounge) not private, it's still part of the general forum. Anyone that wants in can enter, you just have to abide by their laws of physics.

That is still private, if it wasn't private then everyone would be able to see the contents of the forum.
By racechick
My personal view is that this facility places Ferrari fans above other fans and I think that's wrong. I suspected from the outset that it may cause some resentment and I believe it does.
Again, on a personal note, I wouldn't want to be part of an exclusive group, be it concerning Hamilton, Mercedes or anything else. I enjoy debating with people of differing views, for me that's part of the enjoyment of the forum, but that's just me.

On a technical point. Whenever anyone forms a new thread it shows up on Twitter and I generally like to retweet them to garner interest in the forum. But if you click on a link thats has been started in the Ferrari lounge, you get a message saying you cannot view this( or something like that). This is off putting for possible new members because it gives the impression that the forum isn't working properly.
By RyRy
My personal view is that this facility places Ferrari fans above other fans and I think that's wrong. I suspected from the outset that it may cause some resentment and I believe it does.
Again, on a personal note, I wouldn't want to be part of an exclusive group, be it concerning Hamilton, Mercedes or anything else. I enjoy debating with people of differing views, for me that's part of the enjoyment of the forum, but that's just me.

On a technical point. Whenever anyone forms a new thread it shows up on Twitter and I generally like to retweet them to garner interest in the forum. But if you click on a link thats has been started in the Ferrari lounge, you get a message saying you cannot view this( or something like that). This is off putting for possible new members because it gives the impression that the forum isn't working properly.

I whole heartedly agree with you I went for a diplomatic route meeting in the middle.

You're right that would make people think the forum isn't working correctly which would undoubtedly put people off.
By CookinFlat6

I think it would actually be worse for the forum if possible members where to have their first taste of the forum by viewing the MeaCulparea lounge where the things said do not receive any integrity testing by the natural functioning of an open forum. i.e. people are not allowed to say the truth if its 'bad' and can make claims and statements of facts that are uncontested or gently 'validated' by other more knowledgeable members

I try and keep away from this discussion because it rankles more and more the more you hear about it, civil wars have kicked off with less justification :rolleyes:
What's wrong with a little rationalization amongst friends? Sometimes the real world gets a little hot and it's nice to seek shelter. Like when it's raining hard and you get inside a bus stop to pass the worst of it or something along those lines.
By CookinFlat6
Ok thats one thing, but when, in a discussion in the open forum, a debater refuses to give an explanation, or source or clarification, or any response, instead referring to another debate in the private lounge as proof of the debate - 'I already explained in private, and they agreed with me, so those are my credentials, take my word for it' etc etc - its gonna cause fragmentation and remove the basis and 500 year old rules the concept of open debate forum is based upon.

Lets not forget that no one cared about the private lounge until the above situation drew attention to it

for claritys sake I am referring to the following form from wiki

Debate is contention in argument; dispute, controversy; discussion; especially the discussion of questions of public interest in Parliament or in any assembly.[1]

Debate is a method of interactive and representational argument. Debate is a broader form of argument than deductive reasoning, which only examines whether a conclusion is a consequence of premises, and factual argument, which only examines what is or isn't the case, or rhetoric, which is a technique of persuasion. Though logical consistency, factual accuracy and some degree of emotional appeal to the audience are important elements of the art of persuasion, in debating, one side often prevails over the other side by presenting a superior "context" and/or framework of the issue, which is far more subtle and strategic. The outcome of a debate depends upon consensus or some formal way of reaching a resolution, rather than the objective facts as such. In a formal debating contest, there are rules for participants to discuss and decide on differences, within a framework defining how they will interact.

Although informal debate is common the quality and depth of a debate improves with knowledge and skill of its participants as debaters. The outcome of a contest may be decided by audience vote, by judges, or by some combination of the two.

we have an evolved version of audience vote - which is the awarding of credibility and agreement by members chiming in, this cannot happen when some of it is hidden and not tranparent
Last edited by CookinFlat6 on 11 Oct 14, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
By Jabberwocky
I was originally against the lounge. Then more recently curiosity got the better of me and i joined up.

To be honest it is how i initially imagined the support threads should be.

News and information is posted up about Ferrari and discussed in a positive, non aggressive manor.

Tbh now i quite like it in there as its change in pace.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
By spankyham
What? A bunch of friends want to have a conversation. Sheep dip! What is the world coming to.
Any one can join our conversation, just respect our group.
By Jabberwocky
They are just upset they can not see all the mouth watering food at the buffet mate lol

By CookinFlat6
why not add injury upon insult Jabs by confirming they also have the best Italian cuisine in there, whilst we are lucky to get MaccyDs out here :rolleyes:
By Hammer278
Though I see Ryry's point, I can't agree....it further divides the forum for no reason.

This is an F1 forum, for all to debate and view everyone's viewpoints/discussion. It's why we log on in the first place. Now to divide it into private subsections? Just head over to the fansites, all teams/manufacturers have them on facebook/twitter/official sites. Forums are meant for exchange.

If some people prefer a safehouse where combustion engines are the future and hybrids are evil, the red donkeys are the best no matter what, then that's their call. The rest of us are cool in the main board where real debates and Newton's 3 Laws apply.
By Jabberwocky
why not add injury upon insult Jabs by confirming they also have the best Italian cuisine in there, whilst we are lucky to get MaccyDs out here :rolleyes:

I was more pointing to the fact that the food thread in the lounge makes me hungry every time i read it. :-)

See our F1 related articles too!