FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
Anyone watching the BBC coverage on the red button will have had the pleasure of watching Eddie Jordan, DC, Allan McNish and Suzi Perry all doused in the Ice Bucket Challenge.

McNish seemed to get off lightly though

[youtube]TTyyZKBylFs[/youtube]
Massa and Bottas did the pouring for Claire's. Sir Frank was waiting in the wings with a towel for her. Bless

Sent using NCC-1701
By sagi58
I wasn't sure about this fundraiser, initially; but, the more I read/hear/see about it the more I realize that it's a publicity stunt. One that is lucrative for the ALS (which is a worthy charity - aren't they all?), so I'm happy in that regard. What's sad is that people have to be "pushed" by this sort of thing to become aware of something such as ALS and, worse, that they have to be "pushed" into making a charitable donation.

I realize that all charities "need" funding and that each is just as worthy as the next; but, rather than spread whatever I can, I focus my donations to Sick Kids Hospital. It's been near and dear to my heart, for a number of personal reasons and whenever someone asks for money, I tell them politely that Sick Kids is the only charity that I contribute to. People do understand.

There is nothing I despise more than forced charity.

Very well said!! :clap:
I wasn't sure about this fundraiser, initially; but, the more I read/hear/see about it the more I realize that it's a publicity stunt. One that is lucrative for the ALS (which is a worthy charity - aren't they all?), so I'm happy in that regard. What's sad is that people have to be "pushed" by this sort of thing to become aware of something such as ALS and, worse, that they have to be "pushed" into making a charitable donation.

I realize that all charities "need" funding and that each is just as worthy as the next; but, rather than spread whatever I can, I focus my donations to Sick Kids Hospital. It's been near and dear to my heart, for a number of personal reasons and whenever someone asks for money, I tell them politely that Sick Kids is the only charity that I contribute to. People do understand.

Very well said!! :clap:

This is sort of my feeling on the matter. I run for a charity - Reverse Rett / Rett Syndrome Research Trust. Rett syndrome is a neurological condition with some similarities to ALS / Motor Neurons, which affects young girls to varying degrees if severity in areas of speech, ability to walk or control limbs in general, and in severe cases could result in total paralysis similar to locked in syndrome. It's a charity that gets almost no State funding so relies on public donations. Over the last few years I've raised and donated probably around £1,000 for the charity.

So yes, I did the Ice bucket challenge (yesterday actually). I did it not because it is a fad or something cool to do, but because it was something I hadn't done, and another way to raise awareness and money for a charity and a condition that is relatively unknown to a large percentage of the population. I did the challenge in my charity vest, and explained a little about the charity at the start of my video.

I'm also running a small half marathon for the charity in 3 weeks time, followed by the Great Scottish Run half marathon at the start of October. :)
Last edited by zurich_allan on 25 Aug 14, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Well said sagi and well done zurich_allan :clap:
[youtube]0JxWvggj33Q[/youtube]

That is exactly how I imagined you looked like DD - thanks for sharing and finally showing us your identity... ;-)
By RyRy

I had a lengthy discussion on facebook this morning about this, it was me and two other young guys vs 4 middle-aged women who just didn't understand the logic behind our argument.

NO ONE in any way, shape or form should be pressured into donating.

I'm gonna be doing my nomination later today but with a twist... the person who nominated me nominated 12 people, he got a few people say that he should only nominate 3 people and then he decided to post saying he believes rules should be broken.

I've thought out what I'm gonna say:

I was nominated by [PERSON 1], [PERSON 2] and [PERSON 3] for the ALS or what we should be calling MND Ice Bucket Challenge to raise awareness about the terrible disease.

A huge number of these challenges fail to use ice, fail to even mention why they are doing it and fail to provide any donation links.

Please checkout the links in the description about donating to charities.

Before I do the challenge call me boring but how is there any fun in putting yourself through mild discomfort however... I have a 1:1 ratio of water to ice in this bucket.

[PERSON 1], this is why there are rules... I'd like to nominate [READ FACEBOOK FRIENDS LIST, SPEED UP IN THE VIDEO]. On my nominations it's 100% voluntary with no forfeits, timescales or any rules associated with it.

I will then proceed to pour 1 ice cube on my head with a tiny bit of water.

The links I will provide are: http://www.justgiving.com/ and http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/ and http://www.mndassociation.org/get-involved/donations/
I like it. Apart from the tiny bit of water and Ice. However my idea for that is also different to mainstream.

Sent using NCC-1701

See our F1 related articles too!