FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Just as it says...
The comment about British and English being seen as interchangeable reminded me of "a" pet peeve of mine!!

It annoys me to no end that people use the words "tolerate" and "accept" as though they were synonyms!!
They are NOT!! :banghead:
I'm a bit of an English Language Nazi when it comes to bought and brought, and also when people say "me and sagi58" instead of "sagi58 and I."

Also - not really a pet peeve, but I cannot be in a room when someone is buttering toast. That grinding sound is unbearable to me, like someone scratching a chalk board....
People at work who complain about how expensive going out together, as a staff to celebrate "anything"!
When you do find something a bit less pricey, say they're appreciative, say they'll come and then...
"suddenly" something comes up and they can't make it!! :twisted:
I remember organising a christmas party that was going to cost £20 a head (inclusive of food and drink for the night) people complained that they would have to pay for a taxi.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
It was only 5 miles as well.

Here is some of my pet peves.

I was a British Serviceman for many years.
I am not English, I am Welsh.
I was not a Soldier, I was in the Air Force, no I did not fly or Fix the aeroplanes.

I know how you feel...

I am Canadian!! Born and raised!! YES, I am immensely proud of my Italian heritage; but, I am Canadian, eh!! Image

I'm NOT American!! Which is what pretty well anyone in Italy calls anyone who is from North America!! :banghead:
Funny you bring up the England/Britain thing. People do that around here too.
England, Great Britain, The United Kingdom, the British Isles, and the Commonwealth are all different things. That is they have very specific differences. Look it up.

When driving, I have a few PPs. One is people who drift out to the next outer lane when making a turn. It's illegal but they don't know that because in NA no one is actually taught to properly drive or taught the actual laws for driving. Another driving PP is people who have no lights on at night. It's an increasing problem because with the DRLs, some cars have the instrument lighting on, which is stupid. It makes the driver think the lights are on.

Non driving PPs: people that make a statement but use a question inflection at the end. As in: "The PVR is set to record Survivor?".
:Forum posts riddled with bad spelling and atrocious grammar.
People in forums that get hyper pissy and loudly question the "offender"'s heraldry whenever their favourite driver is not described with a halo on.
[youtube]rNu8XDBSn10[/youtube]
[youtube]rNu8XDBSn10[/youtube]

So are they 4 countries or 1 country? Why do they compete in soccer as 4 separate countries but in Formula One and the Olympics they are one - Great Britain (which presumably includes Northern Ireland even though they aren't part of Great Britain..)
Coultard always had the scottish satire on his car from memory. However his wins where accompanied by God Save The Queen. (Not the theme of Braveheart)

GB is a collection of countries, which is why they can compete as one in the Olympics and football, we have one central motorsport body that represents all of GB internationally which means when you get your international licence you sign on as being British.

Football's different because the FA have an agreement and therefore allowed to compete separately, same as rugby and cricket. You could not imagine the uproar it would cause if all the football teams had to merge into one team GB; which is why they won't have a team GB football team at the Olympics anymore.
English speakers who can't differentiate between:

Your pr*ck is on fire.

You're a pr*ck.

I see these two words used wrong all over the internet in youtube comments, fb, twitter, is it really that hard to differentiate? :confused:
People think that just because I went to college I know everything.

People also think that just because I have my B.S. in justice studies, I just so happen to know every single statute and law in my state :rolleyes:

I guess that's not such a bad pet peeve to have, seeing as it relates to people thinking I'm intelligent, which is generally a good thing. I just hate explaining to everybody at work, "no, I don't know how much you'll be fined or what the gov't will do to you for your [insert violation here]" every other weekend :hehe:

See our F1 related articles too!