FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Have a question and don't want to sift through Wiki?
Ask away!
By sagi58
Yes, there is a difference:

wrote:">Difference Between Rye and Whiskey

Whiskey and rye whiskey differ in the following aspects:

1. Whiskey is the more general, or generic term for the drink, whereas rye whiskey is just one of the variations of whiskey. Because whiskey is a broad term that can include many kinds of whiskies, like Japanese and Irish whiskies to name a few, rye whiskey on the contrary, is a term that sums up two major whiskey rye products, namely the American and Canadian rye whiskies.

2. Whiskies use many types of grain, such as corn and malt, among others, while rye whiskies specifically use the rye grain.
By stonemonkey
Ohhhhhh gotta be whisky, in particular Laphroaig, aged in bourbon casks. They got away with selling it in the us during prohibition by claiming it was medicinal and if you smell it you understand why.
By sagi58
I was in charge of getting a bottle of whisky for one of our co-workers and I thought, "that's easy"!
Then I got to the LCBO and found something similar to this:

I didn't know what to pick, so I asked one of the sales clerks.
Of course, the choice was made by the budget I was "sworn" to!!
By stonemonkey
Price isn't everything

Earlier in the year I was on Islay, where a large portion of Scottish single malts come from, in a bar there was a price list and a couple of the whiskies were £250 a shot. We got a sniff of them but they weren't anything special and it was only because of their rarety that they cost so much, they were from distilleries that had closed down in the 50s or 60s and the odd barrels had turned up.
By sagi58
Do you get Canadian/American whiskey on your side of the pond?
By stonemonkey
Other than jim beam and jack Daniels which are quite common in bars, southern comfort too if that counts, I don't know. Ive never really noticed any north american whiskies anywhere ive been.

Edit: Wild turkey too, I'm sure I've had that at some point.

I like the peat and the smoke of the Islay malts though, I wonder if there's any equivalent from your side.
By sagi58
Not being a whiskey "connoisseur", I haven't noticed if there is a range, either!
Besides, I prefer a rum and diet coke... or a Black Russian, truth be told!! :P
By stonemonkey
With the single malts its just room temp water, no ice. The one I like, Laphroaig quarter cask, is 48% so about 50/50 water. As I said though its got a strong medicinal smell and won't be to everyone's taste.

I wouldn't say I'm a conniseur, I enjoy a (few) bells and red bull now and again too but that's if I'm looking for a wild night out.
By sagi58
So... whiskey for when you're smooth,
and red bull when you're wild! Image
By stonemonkey
Bells is a blended whisky, that's with the red bull.

If you have any violent tendencies when you drink don't try it, otherwise it's like being on drugs. Or at least I imagine it is.
By geetface9
Whiskey for sure. Rye whiskey is harsh as $#@!

I had unaged jack daniels rye whiskey once..... BLUGHUGHGUHGOSIHG;LASDGHLKBNJRHGU4HNB
By bud
Single malt Whisky (Scotch) for me. Don't mind a few blended Scotches either.

Not a fan of American Whiskey or Irish Whiskey, its all in the E!
By racechick
I don't like it but often buy it for male relatives who do. If I'm being a cheapskaypte it's Famous Grouse, that's the blended one my dad likes. But if I'm in generous mood it's the aged single malts every time, Laphroaig that Stonemonkey mentioned being one of them.
Anyone heard of 'Old Putney' ? it won a competition as best whiskey in the world. Wasn't ridiculously priced either , though there are probably different ages of it and the older ones may cost more.
By geetface9
If y'all ever have a chance, try W.L. Weller bourbon. More specifically the 12 year, but if not then the 7 year is legit!

See our F1 related articles too!