FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
Image, Maurizio!!
Hope your stay is long and prosperous for all!!

wrote:">Maurizio Arrivabene
Arrivabene is from a marketing and sales background. In 1997, he joined Philip Morris, rising to become the Vice President of Marlboro Global Communication & Promotions for Philip Morris International in 2007 and the Vice President of Consumer Channel Strategy and Event Marketing in 2011. Through his work with Philip Moris, he became involved with the company's sponsorship (through the Marlboro brand) of the Ferrari team, and sat on the Formula One Commission as a respresentative for all the sport's sponsors from 2010.

On 23 November 2014, Ferrari announced that Arrivabene had been appointed as its team principal, replacing Marco Mattiacci, who had himself only been in the position since taking over from Stefano Domenicali in April. The decision to install Arrivabene was made by Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne, who gave Arrivabene's "thorough understanding not just of Ferrari but also of the governance mechanisms and requirements of the sport" as the reason for his appointment.

He has also been an independent board member of Juventus F.C. since 2012.
This appointment makes sense. Arrivabene has been involved for years in F1,
he knows the players, the teams, etc...

He'll need to be a bit cut-throat in his decision-making and ready to stand
up and fight for what's right.

Hopefully, that goes a long way towards getting Ferrari back up to snuff!!
Really hoping this isn't just more political speak... y'know??

wrote:">Ferrari appoints Maurizio Arrivabene to lead Gestione Sportiva

Ferrari is pleased to announce the appointment of Maurizio Arrivabene as Managing Director of Gestione Sportiva and as Team Principal of Scuderia Ferrari, replacing Marco Mattiacci.

Mr Arrivabene comes to Ferrari from Philip Morris, which he joined in 1997 after a 20 years career in marketing and promotions in Italy and abroad. Maurizio Arrivabene has held a variety of posts in Philip Morris, leading up to his appointment in 2007 as Vice President of Marlboro Global Communication & Promotions for Philip Morris International and, in 2011, as Vice President Consumer Channel Strategy and Event Marketing. He has been an independent member of the board of Juventus FC since 2012 also. From 2011 to 2012 he has been a member of the Sport Business Academy (SDA Bocconi School of Management and RCS Sport), in the Advisory Team Program.

Throughout his time with Philip Morris, Maurizio Arrivabene has been closely involved in the partnership with Ferrari both in Maranello and on the world’s racing circuits. He has also represented all Formula One sponsors on the F1 Commission since 2010.

“We decided to appoint Maurizio Arrivabene because, at this historic moment in time for the Scuderia and for Formula 1, we need a person with a thorough understanding not just of Ferrari but also of the governance mechanisms and requirements of the sport,” commented Ferrari Chairman Sergio Marchionne. “Maurizio has a unique wealth of knowledge: he has been extremely close to the Scuderia for years and, as a member of the F1 Commission, is also keenly aware of the challenges we are facing. He has been a constant source of innovative ideas focused on revitalisation of Formula One. His managerial experience on a highly complex and closely regulated market is also of great importance, and will help him manage and motivate the team. I am delighted to have been able to secure his leadership for our racing activities”.

“We would also like to thank Marco Mattiacci for his service to Ferrari in the last 15 years and we wish him well in his future endeavours” concluded Mr Marchionne.
Gian Carlo Minardi is on-side with Arrivabene's appointment:

motorautosport.nl wrote:">GIAN CARLO MINARDI: Arrivabene the right man at the right time

With the assignment of Maurizio Arrivabene, at Ferrari the new era has started. There’s will to quickly archive a season full of difficulties, which led to several changes in its staff. Changes that, however, are destined to continue, as Gian Carlo Minardi said in the past: “I have to congratulate Mr. Sergio Marchionne, because the first choice was more than spot-on. Maurizio Arrivabene is certainly the right man for this Ferrari that wants to turn over a new leaf quickly”, the manager from Faenza said on http://www.minardi.it. “I wish him good luck, as he is called to not an easy job. Despite commitments are a lot at the moment and time is very little, he will have to make prompt changes quickly. In the past, everybody wanted to go to work at Ferrari, but now wind seems to have changed. Maranello seems to have lost “reliability” in its projects, receiving denials from important people who have won so much in Ferrari. There’s need of a man with strong leadership to reverse this course”.

In recent months the name of Ross Brawn was often joined to that of Ferrari. The British engineer could then hang up the fishing rod to embrace again the racing world. “Rumours coming from Germany speak of Ross Brawn ready to accept new challenges, but far away from Ferrari. In fact, it hears about a strong interest on Audi’s side. For this reason, Arrivabene will have to make even unpopular and risky decisions on the technical side, writing a new story, or trying to put pressure on the man that now is the most wanted and requested, Brawn precisely”. With the arrival of Sebastian Vettel some changes have already glimpsed. “In these days, we have seen the German surrounded by Resta and Adami engineers”, both with a past at different times in Faenza (one in Minardi Team, the other in Toro Rosso). Riccardo Adami will be the new race engineer of the four-times world champion. “Therefore, something has already changed”. Waiting for passing the baton between Mattiacci and Arrivabene, Sebastian Vettel entered officially in “red”, driving in Fiorano with the F2012, working on the simulator and visiting the factory. “I have to congratulate the creator of this political-advertising move. They have been able to draw the attention of media, giving a new image both to Vettel and Ferrari. A move of image perfectly spot-on”, Minardi concludes, “that marks an important turning point within the racing team
Kimi seems happy about this!!

, Staff wrote:">Arrivabene the 'perfect' Ferrari boss - Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen believes new Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene is the "perfect" figure to lead Maranello back to success.

Arrivabene was appointed team principal at the end of the 2014 season after Marco Mattiacci's tenure at Ferrari lasted less than nine months. Arrivabene comes to the team from long-term Ferrari sponsor Philip Morris and knows both Maranello and the inner workings of Formula One well.

"I think Maurizio is great and perfect for the role he has been given," Raikkonen said. "I've known him from before and have seen how competent he is. I think he will bring to the team his experience and that will prove to be very beneficial."

Ferrari has not won a drivers' championship since Raikkonen took the title in 2007 and he believes it needs to rediscover the team spirit it used to have in its past.

"It's not been an easy year for me or the team. Ferrari is always expected to win races and fight at the front. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case, but for the next season we laid down the basis for Scuderia Ferrari to come back to the level it should be at. There's a lot of work to do but we know which areas we need to improve on. This job has already started and in the factory, we have everything we need, in terms of personnel and the means to make the necessary progress.

"All we need to do is work as a team, in the unified way that typified this team in past years. I'm sure the 2015 car will be much more competitive, although we will have to wait for the first test session to see where we really stand."

Raikkonen will be joined by four-time champion Sebastian Vettel next year, a change which the Finn believes will motivate him to push to the limit on track.

"As I've already said, Sebastian is a friend and I'm happy to be working with him. I think we can work well together as a team, pushing each other to the limit on track for the good of the Scuderia, as we aim to get it back to where it should be."
, Jonathan Noble wrote:">New Ferrari boss Arrivabene says F1 needs a revolution

Ferrari's new team boss Maurizio Arrivabene believes rule changes planned for 2017 must be a revolution for Formula 1 if the sport is not going to lose more fans.

Speaking in response to comments from Niki Lauda on AUTOSPORT saying F1 must not ease off in the push for 1000hp cars, Arrivabene say he supports a dramatic overhaul too.

"I've read what our friend Niki has to say: he's top of the class, whereas I'm sitting about four desks further back," he said in a statement on Ferrari's official website.

"I share Niki's view that Formula 1 needs to be more spectacular and I believe that the risk he evokes of the sport losing fans is something that has unfortunately already happened."...

Arrivabene goes on to list some things to consider:

* cost reduction to components that are of little interest to the general public;

* taking drivers to the fans, possibly hosting press conferences away from the track;

* holding events where the drivers and cars could be presented to the public;

As to how that could happen or what that would mean, Arrivabene suggested using the Internet/TV companies to survey fans.

:scratchchin: Now, where did I hear that before?
, Staff wrote:">Maurizio meets the press in Barcelona

Montmelò, 20 February –

On the second day of testing for Scuderia Ferrari at the Montmelo circuit, Maurizio Arrivabene met with the journalists at the circuit. “My job is to rebuild the team, to create a calm environment and to ensure that the great determination I have seen in every member of the team is rewarded with results. I have never believed in such a thing as a winter championship: we have our feet on the ground and as I said already in December, winning two races could be considered a success, three would be perfect and if we win four, I will run barefoot Imageon the hills of Maranello. We have two fantastic drivers and they are also great friends and that can only benefit the whole team. I wish to underline yet again that the most important thing is for us all to pull together, with common goals and with the determination I saw in the eyes of those who were even at work on 24 and 31 December, in the Mechanical or Composites departments, to the backdrop of the sound of the engines rather than “Jingle Bells.” I have seen that there are exceptional people in Maranello and each one of them is making a contribution. However, it’s clear the car does not belong to any one person, it belongs to Ferrari and its people.”
, James Galloway wrote:">Ferrari boss Maurizio Arrivabene staying realistic on strong start to winter tests

New Ferrari team principal Maurizio Arrivabene sees no reason to revise the team’s 2015 targets despite the Scuderia's eye-catching start to pre-season testing.

On the back of their worst campaign in two decades and a host of senior managerial departures, Ferrari have made a surprisingly strong start with their new SF15-T in 2015 with the team having finished either first or second on the end-of-day timesheets so far...

...But while the team’s impressive pace has since caught the eye of experts and rival teams, Arrivabene has sought to downplay the early story of testing...

...“I’m not out of [my] mind to tell you ‘we’re going to beat our competitors, especially Mercedes’. I’m still with my feet on my ground. We are looking for progression. All the team is working together and the spirit is good – that is very, very important for me.”...

...“The drivers are looking to win every race, this is their job and what they are paid for. I want to keep the feet on the ground and be realistic.”

The Ferrari chief, who dismissed talk about whether the SF15-T should be considered “the car of Arrivabene or the car of Mattiacci”, said he was pleased with how the atmosphere at the team had improved in recent months - even revealing that the famously impassive Kimi Raikkonen was in good spirits...

...Raikkonen himself alluded to an improved atmosphere in the team during the Jerez test, with the Finn also revealing he was enjoying working with new team-mate Sebastian Vettel.

To the surprise of F1 last September, Vettel enacted a previously unknown escape clause in his Red Bull contract to join Ferrari on a three-year deal from 2015. While at the time still in his long-held commercial role at Ferrari’s main sponsor, tobacco giants Philip Morris, Arrivabene revealed how two telephone conversations proved pivotal in Vettel's decision to quit Red Bull.

“Normally Philip Morris was never involved into the driver choice and in the case of Vettel we were involved,” he said.

“When we were informed that Fernando [Alonso] was officially leaving the team, the name of Vettel was going around. The situation was unclear so I gave a phone call to a person who I know knew Seb very well and I knew very well. It was Sabine Kehm, the manager of Michael [Schumacher]. Sabine called Sebastian...

... The phone call that made the difference came, after this information, from [Ferrari president] Sergio Marchionne. Without that phone call, Seb would probably have not come to work with us. This is the truth.”...
, James Galloway wrote:">Barcelona test: Lotus set pace as Ferrari impress again and McLaren's woes continue

...Arrivabene, meanwhile, also confirmed that Ferrari had informally agreed for Manor to use their 2014 engine in the new season should the team formerly known as Marussia succeed in returning to the grid.

Manor's hopes of an 11th-hour return were increased when they agreed a deal with their creditors - which included Ferrari - to come out of administration on Thursday.

"We said to them yesterday that we are going to supply them with the 2014 engine. There is nothing in written at the moment, but our answer at the moment is yes," Arrivabene added.
, Staff wrote:">"Concentration and discipline”

Before leaving the Catalunya circuit, Maurizio Arrivabene summed up the situation at Scuderia Ferrari, as the winter testing comes to an end. “Now, I can say that we have reached our objectives. The SF15-T is behaving as we’d expected. Kimi, who drove last last year’s car, sees an improvement and Sebastian, who is driving today, is also happy. But we all have our feet on the ground, because we know the other teams aren’t sleeping. It’s clear that Mercedes is there, but we have to concentrate on ourselves. At the moment we have a rough idea of our position relative to the opposition, but we know everyone follows different test programmes. Therefore, we are following ours, with concentration and discipline, which I believe are the keys to success. I have spoken to the team and I have made this clear.”

Yesterday, the media were intrigued to see the Team Principal, along with Esteban Gutiérrez, the Sporting Director and someone from the team’s main sponsor, sitting in the grandstand with the spectators. “I heard that in Australia there will be further restrictions in terms of passes for the paddock and so… I thought we might as well get used to going to the grandstands! I found the people to be very well educated and polite. These restrictions do not seem acceptable: having an “exclusive” atmosphere doesn’t mean having an empty paddock. Golf is maybe one of the most exclusive sports, but there are thousands of people following the players.”
 wrote:">Raikkonen can be warm and profound - Arrivabene

Maurizio Arrivabene is quickly climbing the ladder as arguably one of the most popular team bosses in formula one. A former Philip Morris executive, and bearing a striking resemblance to the 'Marlboro man', the 57-year-old Italian emerged from the chaos of last year's Ferrari to put the fabled team firmly back on track.

And he is quickly endearing himself to the sport. He put on an entertaining display recently during a press conference with international media, and at the final Barcelona test this weekend has given Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel's fans an unique insight.

"With people he does not know," Arrivabene said, "Kimi does not talk. But he can actually be very warm and profound. The next moment he can turn and walk away from you," he revealed, according to the blog of German F1 correspondent Ralf Bach.

"Seb is super-professional," Arrivabene continued. "When I see him working in the box, I am sometimes emotional because it reminds me of another German I know. But his eye for detail has surprised me, and he writes down everything in his notebook," he is quoted by Bach's f1-insider.com.

"Anyway, it does not surprise me that Sebastian has won four titles. He is a hard worker and a great person. But please let's not forget that Kimi is the last Ferrari champion. For us, we have the perfect driver combination."

Arrivabene has also revealed that he is not afraid to deliberately "provoke" F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone. Photos had emerged on social media of the Italian sitting in the grandstands during the Barcelona test alongside Ferrari reserve Esteban Gutierrez.

Arrivabene admitted the reason for his close encounter with the spectators was to let Ecclestone know he is no fan of a proposal to further limit access to F1's exclusive paddock. "So we go to the people in the stands (instead)," he said. "For such rumours to not be true, you have to set an example -- exclusivity does not mean that you lock even more people out of the paddock."
, Jerome Pugmire, AP wrote:">Vettel begins 2015 with big ambitions at Ferrari

.........PODIUM HOPES FOR MELBOURNE

With no reliability issues to be alarmed about, Ferrari is certainly in a position to try. The famed Italian manufacturer can finally turn the page on a terrible past year, when poor results went hand-in-hand with internal disputes.

Ferrari failed to win a race last year -- the first time since 1993 -- and finished fourth in the constructors' championship, 485 points behind Mercedes. Alonso, who finished sixth, joined McLaren. Meanwhile, a chaotic year saw three team principals in charge at Ferrari, while Sergio Marchionne replaced Luca di Montezemolo as president.

But Ferrari's traumatic recent past already seems like a long time ago.

"Kimi, who drove last year's car, sees an improvement and Sebastian is also happy," team principal Maurizio Arrivabene said. "It's clear that Mercedes is there, but we have to concentrate on ourselves."

Ferrari will be pushing hard for at least a podium finish in Melbourne -- which could set the tone for a successful season.
 wrote:">Arrivabene: We reached our objectives

Maurizio Arrivabene insists everyone at Ferrari "has their feet on the ground" despite reaching their goals during pre-season testing.

The Italian marque made plenty of changes following their disastrous 2014 campaign and, if winter testing is anything to go by, they have moved in the right direction.

Kimi Raikkonen and Sebastian Vettel produced the fastest times at Jerez while the duo also clocked 1 182 laps between them over the 12 days of testing.

Although they are still behind pacesetters Mercedes, Arrivabene is delighted with the improvements they have made.

"The SF15-T is behaving as we'd expected. Kimi [Raikkonen], who drove last year's car, sees an improvement and Sebastian is also happy," he said.

"Now, I can say that we have reached our objectives. But we all have our feet on the ground, because we know the other teams aren't sleeping.

"It's clear that Mercedes is there, but we have to concentrate on ourselves. At the moment we have a rough idea of our position relative to the opposition, but we know everyone follows different test programmes.

"Therefore, we are following ours, with concentration and discipline, which I believe are the keys to success. I have spoken to the team and I have made this clear."
, Staff wrote:">Maurizio Arrivabene: “My biggest challenge”

Melbourne, 13 March – This afternoon at the Albert Park circuit, Maurizio Arrivabene took part in his first ever FIA Press Conference, when he joined five of his peers on the panel. One of the first questions asked to the Gestione Sportiva Managing Director and Scuderia Ferrari Team Principal, one of concerned the many changes that have occurred in Ferrari since the end of last season: “ I don’t want to talk about the past. We made changes, but I would like to thank the people that were there before. Thinking about the future and the actual situation, I was working a lot with the guys, as I said many, many times, to put them together for a common goal and to work concentrated, with feet on the ground, with the same objective. If we lose, we lose together and if we are going to win we are going to win together. That’s my mantra. This is what I said to the team and I saw them calm, committed and motivated. That’s important for me.”

Approaching technical matters is the biggest challenge for Maurizio: “You have to know a lot about that, you have to be curious, you have to go around the factory asking questions, meeting people but especially listening to the engineers, learning from them, because you know the engineers they are talking a very special language, they are able to use 1,000 words to tell you what normally they are going to say in 10 words. So you have to extrapolate and to summarise and to make it simple sometimes”.

About Manor, Maurizio explained the reasons behind the case: “They got the licence to take part on the championship quite late, so we are working together with the best effort to make sure these guys can run as soon as possible. it’s not only a problem about the software. With the engine, even last year’s engine, they are quite complicated to set up. We have a list of things to do but we are going through the list and we are really pushing very hard altogether to make sure that these guys, they will be able to run”.

Asked about his expectations afterseen Ferrari running second only to Mercedes: “If Claire (Williams) and Toto (Wolff), they give order to the team to stop somehow Sunday I think we will appreciate that! They don’t do it for sure. We closed the season last year in the fourth position. To think about the first you have to overhaul the guys that are nearby you, first, that is Claire, then there is the Red Bull, and afterwards, if you are able to go there, and I think these guys they are fighting to make sure we are not going there, then the other programme is Mercedes. We need to go step by step and try to be realistic and to do all our best to get nearby the guys of Toto as soon as possible. But it is not easy, of course.”

About cost control options his point of view is very simple: “We are all working together to try to somehow solve the situation but it’s also important to remember that we are talking about Formula One that is considered the pinnacle of motor sport competition. So we need to keep up that concept, to work in a way that will enhance the show. I’ve said many many times to take Formula One closer to the people but I think the group is working very well in this direction. It’s not an easy compromise because somehow you have to work on saving certain costs but on the other hand, you want to preserve the development, in some words I want to say that if you want to play in the Premier League, you have to prepare to do so, otherwise you play in another championship. If you look at football, they have a kind of financial fair play; this is acceptable but they are not transforming the Champions League into the Europa League”.

See our F1 related articles too!