FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
Thought it might be worthwhile having a thread where we see what Mattiacci's impact will be on Ferrari!

We've heard that he hasn't been groomed for F1; but, that it might be a blessing in disguise.

Here's an article I just saw, where he states he's almost ready to make his first move:

wrote:">Mattiacci establishes Ferrari action plan

May 29, 2014 – New Ferrari team boss Marco Mattiacci says he is close to making his first serious changes since taking on the role, having spent the past month and a half assessing the brand's Formula 1 operation...

..."In the last six weeks we did a very thorough assessment of the opportunities to improve in the short-term and the areas that require a medium- to long-term approach to bring Ferrari back to the very highest competitive level," said Mattiacci.

"I'm not going to disclose publically which areas we need to improve, but it's clear that we need to take some action towards improving the working methodology, organisation and making the Scuderia faster, not only on the track, but also in terms of decisions and processes."

Although Mattiacci says he is pleased with his current workforce, he has reiterated his desire to strengthen.

"We have a lot of assets and good people, but if in the market there are people that can bring a strong added value to the team, we will definitely go for it," he said.

"There is no entity that can stay the same, we need to improve organisational changes and bring people from the outside. Everybody is doing this. It's not only Ferrari."
Finally! Hopefully we will break out of this conservative, "we can't risk making even small mistakes and we can't take any risks" thinking.
It surely wasn't "a progressive mindset", was it!!
More like :bs: , especially in an area where innovation is key!!

Is there a difference between progressive and conservative :bs::hehe:
, Staff wrote:">Mattiacci: We are very angry with ourselves

Although Fernando Alonso did finish sixth in the Canadian Grand Prix, Ferrari under performed dismally in Montreal. If it were not for the three retirements ahead of them on the day the Maranello outfit would have been lucky to take home a couple of points, a scenario which new team boss Marco Mattiacci admits irks them.

Speaking after an incident packed race on the Ile Notre Dame, Mattiacci said, “We are very angry with ourselves, but we have no intention of giving up. The Canadian circuit definitely didn’t suit us, given that it highlighted the strong points of some of our competitors and, on top of that, not everything went right either, given that we started from too far back and the others improved more than we did.”

“On the positive side of this weekend, everyone wants to fight back, starting with our drivers, Kimi and Fernando, who are both extremely tenacious guys, competent and competitive and they know how to work as a team to point us in the direction of the areas that are a priority in our development programme. Some updates produced good results on track and that’s why we will continue down this path race by race.”

“We have improved since the start of the year, but every step forward we make must be looked at in the context of what our rivals have done. Ferrari have begun work on a specific approach, based around a few key figures; President Montezemolo, James Allison, Fernando Alonso, Kimi Raikkonen and a group of highly talented engineers.”

“It’s a case of restructuring the team, with people being given the best possible conditions in which to get the job done,” insisted the Italian who was drafted into the Ferrari hot seat in April.

“There is a clearly defined development programme that we are working through and which will see us bring updates to every race. Another major target is to speed up our reaction time, which is something our competitors seem to manage to do,” added Mattiacci.
I think Mattiaci coming in from outside F1 is a good thing as he will see things from a different perspective and wont have "mates" that he would find hard to criticse/fire if necessary. At the same time he was worked for Ferrari so knows the culture. Long term I can see it working if he has the personal attributes, lets hope he does!
Alonso seems impressed with Mattiacci:

wrote:">Canadian GP – Alonso: “Mattiacci, good vision and a very clever approach”

Montreal, 5 June –

...With one team being dominant so far this year, Fernando was asked at what point the Scuderia should concentrate on the 2015 season. “We need to keep fighting for important goals and we have targets to achieve this year, maintained the Spaniard. “However we must not compromise next year’s project this year. We need to keep developing in 2014, because many things carry over for the following year. But if there is something fundamental for next year, obviously we mustn’t take any time away from that. I am not worried about this. Since Marco Mattiacci arrived, everything is moving in the right direction. He has good vision and a very clever approach and we are going to be stronger and stronger.”
Half-way point, in the season; half-term progress report!

I like that he isn't always making excuses.

I like that both Kimi and Alonso seem respectful towards him and vice-versa.

I like that there haven't been any sensational comments from di Montezemolo.

Am I pleased with the season thusfar? NOPE! But, I also realize that Mattiacci
inherited a lot of baggage, which he seems to be sifting through!!

Go, Marco, go!! :clap:
FERRARI IDENTIFY AREAS FOR CHANGE AS F1 BOSS MATTIACCI GATHERS STEAM

The reign of Ferrari team principal Marco Mattiacci is little more than 100 days old, but this week the first changes in his restructing of the team came to light.

Former Lotus technical director James Allison is in overall charge of the entire technical project, both chassis and engine.

Luca Marmorini paid the price for Ferrari’s costly underestimation of the scale of task and investment required to produce a class leading hybrid turbo engine. His role as head of the engine side goes to Mattia Binotto, who has been with the team for many years and was Michael Schumacher’s engine engineer during the glory years.

Mattiacci knows that he is not looking for quick fixes, but rather must put in place a plan to bring Ferrari closer to the front in 2015 and challenging again from 2016 onwards.

This is the first half season during Fernando Alonso’s five seasons there in which he has not won a single race and he has just two podiums to his name.

According to Gazzetta dello Sport, Mattiacci’s first 100 days of reviewing the state of the Scuderia has revealed the following key issues:

* The response times are too slow, from suppliers to internal processes, the team needs to move more quickly, to match its rivals.

* Inferior hybrid technology – Mercedes invested more and for far longer in the KERS and its successor systems. The factory at Brixworth is a centre of excellence within Mercedes, competing within the company for contracts on new electric and hybrid vehicles and that has hugely benefitted the F1 programme. Although Ferrari can develop its engine before the new homologation period starts in February 2015, catching up could take years.

* Too much emphasis on reliability at the expense of performance in the hybrid development phase. Alonso is the only driver to have scored points in every race this season, but he’s not been a real contender for victory.

* Lack of co-ordination between chassis and engine departments. This is a huge failure, given that the two departments are a few dozen metres apart, rather than in different locations and even countries in the case of Red Bull and its supplier Renault. Hence Allison’s over arching role.

There was no mention in Ferrari’s statement this week of Pat Fry, who was in charge technically until Allison’s arrival and who now has a senior engineering role, including operational activities at races. However he continues in his role.

As for the drivers, there have been discussions about extending Alonso’s contract beyond the end of 2016, but at the same time Sebastian Vettel and Lewis Hamilton are both potentially available at the end of next season.

McLaren, which is going through its own restructuring programme under Eric Boullier and is likely to see some significant changes on the technical side soon, is also in the market for Alonso and even for Hamilton. Those three drivers are sure to be much in demand next season, as the negotiations intensify and the top teams look to set themselves up for the next phase.

Mattiacci is not gathering any moss as he (steam)rolls through the red tape, eh?? :clap:

Really good article vcs316. Marco is bringing a sea change most evident in the thinking at Maranello. For too long we had this view of reduce risk. I liken it to the American football "prevent defense" which only seems to prevent winning. I think we will see some interesting things coming out of Ferrari now. I'm sure before Marco, we would not have risked the strategy we did at Hungary with Fernando, but I liked it because we went for the only option that gave us a chance to win.

ImageImageImageImageImage
... I'm sure before Marco, we would not have risked the strategy we did at Hungary with Fernando, but I liked it because we went for the only option that gave us a chance to win...
And, we almost did!!
 wrote:">A united team, better able to react quickly

Maranello, 1 August – Last night was a special evening for the Scuderia Ferrari top brass, brought together again by President Luca di Montezemolo and Team Principal, Marco Mattiacci, prior to the compulsory break, as defined in the FIA regulations. The drivers, Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen also attended the dinner, held at the Fiorano track facility, keen to stay with the team as long as possible after taking part in some technical meetings in the afternoon, aimed at preparations for the next races in Belgium and Italy.

Montezemolo and Mattiacci wanted to meet with the technicians, engineers, drivers and other team members to reinforce the message relating to the cornerstones on which the Scuderia’s resurgence is to be based. They are greater efficiency and speed in the time taken to react and in making decisions, a bolder approach to risk taking, the need for people to take responsibility for their own actions and a greater sharing of information between the various production departments.

The dinner, which was planned prior to the good result in Hungary, provided a further opportunity for everyone to come together as a group to share their common experience. A united team will be better able to overcome the problems and reduce more quickly the current gap separating the Scuderia from the top teams. Friday will be the final day of work at Maranello, prior to what is a summer break, but only in the physical sense, because the Ferrari team will still be thinking about all the hard work that awaits them for the rest of 2014 and the following season.
... I'm sure before Marco, we would not have risked the strategy we did at Hungary with Fernando, but I liked it because we went for the only option that gave us a chance to win...
And, we almost did!!

I think Alonso said if they pitted they would have finished 4th and if they stayed out they would probably finish 4th but they MIGHT finish higher, so they decided to risk it - which was the right move. It wasnt the win we were all hoping for but 2nd is an excellent result in the context of this season!

2nd half of the season for me should be about the team being aggressive and taking risks. We cant win either championship so we have nothing to lose by gambling on strategy for podiums and maybe a win, so thats what we should do.
Last edited by Ferrari man 009 on 06 Aug 14, 23:19, edited 1 time in total.

See our F1 related articles too!