FORUMula1.com - F1 Forum

Discuss the sport you love with other motorsport fans

Formula One related discussion.
By sagi58
, Steven Lynch wrote:">One-lap wonders
Sebastian Vettel seems to like setting the fastest lap of a race. Does he hold the record for one season?
asked Michael Woodford

A current driver does share the record for the most fastest laps in a season - but it's not Sebastian Vettel. The man concerned is Kimi Raikkonen, who set the fastest race lap on ten occasions in 2005, and equalled that in 2008.

The first to set ten fastest laps in a season was Michael Schumacher, in 2004. There were 18 races in 2004 and 2008, but 19 in 2005.

Raikkonen set the fastest lap in six successive races in 2008, a run beaten only by Alberto Ascari, with seven in 1952-53.

It's worthy of note that in 1962 and 1963 there were only 19 races in all - and Jim Clark set the fastest lap in 11 of them.

Since 2007, the courier company DHL has sponsored a trophy for the most fastest laps in a season: Vettel won it in 2012 with six.
By sagi58
, Steven Lynch wrote:">Ferrari can get the results it wants - Raikkonen

Kimi Raikkonen believes Ferrari can get the results it wants this season after a positive pre-season testing programme.

Ferrari appeared to be in the mix with Williams and Red Bull as part of a chasing pack behind Mercedes during testing this winter. The team is targeting two victories this year and Raikkonen is confident it will achieve its goals.

"I think that compared with last year, we have done a great job as a team," he said. "We are pleased with what we achieved over the winter and with the level of competitiveness that we expect to have reached, even if we will have to wait until we're on track to get the real verdict. Anyhow, we will continue to push to improve all the time. I am confident that we will manage to achieve the results we deserve and want."

Raikkonen believes Ferrari is working better this year than it did last year and when he was last at the team between 2007 and 2009.

"I've known the team for a few years now, but I have to say, this year the atmosphere is very good, the people are happy and are working together in a very close-knit way. I think that's a good sign and on top of that, it seems that a good car has been produced over the winter period. Now the time's come to go racing, which is when we will really understand where we are."
By sagi58
Nate Saunders, ESPN F1 Assistant Editor  wrote:">Kimi Raikkonen: Malaysia pace not just down to heat

Kimi Raikkonen is convinced Ferrari's pace in Malaysia was not solely due to the hot weather and thinks the team can challenge Mercedes again in China.

The Finn's team-mate Sebastian Vettel took a rather unexpected victory in Malaysia, beating both Mercedes drivers on outright pace in the searing heat of Sepang. One key factor in the victory was Ferrari's ability to manage its tyres well enough to win the race on a two-stop strategy, while Mercedes had to stop both cars three times.

Raikkonen also highlighted the performance at Ferrari disposal by charging through the field from an early puncture to finish fourth, matching the best result of his disastrous 2014 campaign. The 35-year-old thinks there is more to come from the SF-15T.

"It might be the conditions [in Malaysia], very hot and good for us but I think even in Melbourne if we got behind them at the beginning I don't think they would have pulled away a lot," the 2007 world champion said. "Obviously every circuit, conditions, everything plays a part of it but for sure it doesn't take away that it's a pretty strong package."

Though happy with Ferrari's progress Raikkonen knows the team still has areas to improve, especially in qualifying.

"We know that we're not exactly as fast as them - at least on one lap - but we're working on that and from where we finished last year and have been starting this year is a big step. The team has been doing the right things, pushing us in the right direction and little by little we will try to catch up with Mercedes, even though Sebastian won we still know we have to improve in certain areas."

See our F1 related articles too!